traceomac

Working for Cash!

Hey guys,

I'm doing my Senior riggers course this fall in the states and want to find work afterwards but I'm a canadian and am not legal to work in the united states…

Just wondering how hard it is to find winter cash work rigging or packing?

Also I have my working visa for australia/ New zealand but I've herd it can be harder finding work there...

traceomac

Hey guys,

I'm doing my Senior riggers course this fall in the states and want to find work afterwards but I'm a canadian and am not legal to work in the united states…

Just wondering how hard it is to find winter cash work rigging or packing?

Also I have my working visa for australia/ New zealand but I've herd it can be harder finding work there...

It can be difficult finding illegal work anywhere in the western world. Why don't you discreetly declare your intentions on the web and hope someone is stupid enough to help you break the law?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The dzo won't pay you cash, it is the fun jumpers that pays you cash. That is if you work as a packer for the fun jumpers. It is not easy to become a packer either. You need to have thick skin to break into packing mats. The local packers will straight up be hostile at your ass.

I know this because I used to get super aggro and make them feel super unwelcome to kick them off the packing mat. Couple of us used to take turns picking on the new guy so he won't stick around after the boogie or some sort. But the general rule is that if you show up every single day, for couple month straight, you'll eventually get in.

I only know very few DZ in states that will pay cash for Tis, Camera, Riggers.

Most DZO pays in check so they can write their own shit off.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Some Canadians must manage to get things sorted out legally for long term work in the US. Not sure how they do it, although as with other types of work, if a company can show they need a specific foreigner when locals aren't really available to do the job, they may be able to get someone in fully legally.

So I don't know how it has worked for some of the Canadians who have infiltrated the USA??

There's TK running Skydive City, Jay Mo has been jumping for PD, G. Dutrisac works for PD. "Crash" used to work for years as a rigger around DeLand. Riggerrob worked for RI years back. Many of these are 'real jobs' too, where it isn't just a cash business.

I've heard of others too, in more regular skydiving jobs, who worked in the US for years before returning home, or for multiple jump seasons without me ever understanding just what their status was. Who knows, things may have tightened up over the years -- DZ's in the US (as in Canada) may be more strict about paperwork than they were 10 or 20 years ago.

If someone wants to make a little cash on the packing mat, sometimes a Canadian will go down on holiday to meet other Canadians and pack for them -- sort of a team packer. I don't know packing mat politics, but that's more acceptable to the local packing mat staff. One isn't then just trying to steal their business in general, but working only for one's own group.

stayhigh

The dzo won't pay you cash, it is the fun jumpers that pays you cash. That is if you work as a packer for the fun jumpers. It is not easy to become a packer either. You need to have thick skin to break into packing mats. The local packers will straight up be hostile at your ass.

I'm not even that hostile and I didn't generally pack anything but my own rigs unless someone asked me to help, yet I was somehow responsible for at least 3 packers leaving the DZ because they thought I was mean to them.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

skydivecat

Well Ski... to be fair, we ALL know what an asshole you are. Can you really blame them? :ph34r:

Every time it happened I got a laugh out of it with the manifest people and I'd pack a few rigs till they got a new packer. :D

Maybe that's why I'm an asshole... lol
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message