damir

Same Price Less Altitude

JWest

I haven't been around long but all 5 west coast DZs I jump at have always gone up to the advertised altitude. Obviously if you get out later in the order you will be a few hundred feet lower than the first guy.

I've only really noticed this from a pilot at a certain non-USPA Group Member DZ. But not a big deal to me.

My DZ's elevation is roughly 1600 feet. The aircraft is a Pilatus PC-6. Climbs easier in the winter so we usually get to 14 000. Add 1600 to that and you can see why this is not really possible in the summer time when the air is hot.

The other day the pilot gave us extra height, about 16 500 total.....let me tell you that it started have a pretty significant effect on my body.

Our little airport is right in the mist of a military training airspace, so we are often restricted to 12 or 12.5 on weekdays.The ticket price stays the same. who cares real. it all averages out in the long run.
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

lomcovak

I was visiting a DZ this summer that charges $40 CAD to 13,000 and was asked by the DZO if I was packed and would like the last slot on the load. I got in the plane last - the rest were all tandems. After takeoff I got a tap on the shoulder by a TM and was told "we're only going to 8,500." Apparently the policy is that there has to be FOUR or more fun jumpers on board to go to full altitude otherwise it's always 8,500. I was told "the tandems can't tell the difference."

I asked about when they compare their freefall time on the video to those they see on youtube and wonder why they only got 20 seconds instead of 45 and was told "oh we edit it and include so-mo to make it seem longer."

Some people might feel that this is shortchanging tandem customers (who, let's face it pay a lot) and fun jumpers alike. After that first jump I made sure I was only on loads with more than 4 fun jumpers!

That is not a dropzone I'd go to. I think it's a shitty attitude to have.

lomcovak

I was visiting a DZ this summer that charges $40 CAD to 13,000 and was asked by the DZO if I was packed and would like the last slot on the load. I got in the plane last - the rest were all tandems. After takeoff I got a tap on the shoulder by a TM and was told "we're only going to 8,500." Apparently the policy is that there has to be FOUR or more fun jumpers on board to go to full altitude otherwise it's always 8,500. I was told "the tandems can't tell the difference."

I asked about when they compare their freefall time on the video to those they see on youtube and wonder why they only got 20 seconds instead of 45 and was told "oh we edit it and include so-mo to make it seem longer."

Some people might feel that this is shortchanging tandem customers (who, let's face it pay a lot) and fun jumpers alike. After that first jump I made sure I was only on loads with more than 4 fun jumpers!

I would not jump on dropzone that cheats its customers...