megamalfunction

Skydive Dallas Fatality Info?

Does anyone know what happened with the incident at Skydive Dallas on Feb. 7th, 2016? There's very little info in the incidents forum. Was this a free fall collision that some how resulted in a two out? I've made the majority of my jumps at SDD, and this is the first fatality to occur there I believe since I started jumping there in 2010. I've had to take a break from jumping so I haven't been able to ask anyone about it in person at the DZ. Anyway, keeping up with incidents is important to me. Sure, dangers are covered in first jump courses, but nothing beats keeping up with the incident reports in my opinion.

Thanks BIGUN, I tried "bumping" the thread but I didn't get any replys. O well, its not that big of a deal. It's just nice to keep up with incidents so you know which risks you should be managing. For example, I know from reading the forums that low turns and high wingloadings are the biggest dangers in skydiving. So after gaining some weight, I've decided that I should no longer continue jumping my 160, and need to upsize before jumping again. Who knows? Maybe I saved my life!

"The only sure way to survive a free fall collision is not to have one"

I guess it can be modified to fit the incident he is asking about too. ;)

I don't know about the incident, but if it was a freefall collision there are a few things you can do to improve your odds:

- Don't do zoo dives with lots of inexperinced people. If you cant do a 3 way well, then an 8 way with similar skilled jumpers does nothing to improve your skills, and everything to increase your chances of people getting hurt. Jump within your skill level, it keeps you safer, and isn't it more fun to actually pull of a successful skydive?!

- plan an appropriate break off and learn to track your ass off

- make sure your jumping buddies have well maintained gear so that you lower the risk of premature deployments

- make sure you have a dive plan that keeps the group together, and has a clear procedure if one person goes low. Everyone else on the jump should know what the low person is going to do so it isn't a suprise.

- avoid the "tracking dives" that everyone regardless of skill level goes on. I know they are fun, but these jumps are way more risky, and have a high chance of someone getting overzealous and zoomy, leading to a collision.

Just some food for thought.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

normiss

Excellent point. (I was of the understanding this was a canopy collision though)

I've witnessed a fatality during break-off of large formation.
Some people seem to track away straight down.

The community should make them stick to solo's until they can learn to do otherwise.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

***Excellent point. (I was of the understanding this was a canopy collision though)

I've witnessed a fatality during break-off of large formation.
Some people seem to track away straight down.

The community should make them stick to solo's until they can learn to do otherwise.

MUCH EASIER said than done !
Dano