rcdrury

Is it okay to discuss skydiving in this forum?

After reading and getting sucked into some of the topics, I was beginning to wonder.

Anyway, here goes with my entry into the sport, many years ago:

In 1982, I headed to Austin Parachute Center in Manor, TX with some buddies for my first jump. We all had a good time on our static-line T-10 jumps, then my buddies went back to College Station while I stayed at the airport and partied with the DZ regulars. I slept in a hanger that night wrapped in a C-9 parachute and woke up the next morning a little hung over and manifested on the first load. My jumpmaster said, "yeah; you're gonna be a skydiver!"

(edited)
7 minutes ago, rcdrury said:

After reading and getting sucked into some of the topics, I was beginning to wonder.

In 1982, I headed to Austin Parachute Center in Manor, TX with some buddies for my first jump. We all had a good time on our static-line T-10 jumps, then my buddies went back to College Station while I stayed at the airport and partied with the DZ regulars. I slept in a hanger that night wrapped in a C-9 parachute and woke up the next morning a little hung over and manifested on the first load. My jumpmaster said, "yeah; you're gonna be a skydiver!"

No, this is not the forum for that discussion. There are other forums within this site that are dedicated to this subject. Which a man of your caliber must already know, so I am unsure of your motives.

Edited by gowlerk

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Which a man of your caliber must already know, so I am unsure of your motives.

Well, perhaps you're overestimating me [sarc], as I have no idea how this forum works. I kinda thought skydiving might be a topic of interest here, but what do I know? Anyway, I came here to interface with and learn from others who share my enthusiasm for the sport. I've called myself a skydiver for nearly four decades, but half of that time was a layoff that ended last fall, so I'm a bit new to the sport as it exists today, and hardly consider myself an authority. As for how to responsibly lead and defend a nation, I'm pretty well versed, so I don't need any input from this crowd. I guess I'll show myself out.

6 hours ago, rcdrury said:

I’ve jumped at APC, both when it was at Birds Nest and then later Georgetown... That said, dropzone.com is a set of forums, most, but not all,  of them for various aspects of skydiving. Here is a link to the “read this first” post. The most general ones for reminiscences would be either the one that Billvon pointed you at, or the History and Trivia forum (although its most active thread is a monster about DB Cooper. 
Take a look at the top level — there is plenty here about skydiving. And in each forum, either the title or the top post has information about what goes into that forum. 
Wendy P. 

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

I’ve jumped at APC, both when it was at Birds Nest and then later Georgetown... That said, dropzone.com is a set of forums, most, but not all,  of them for various aspects of skydiving. Here is a link to the “read this first” post. The most general ones for reminiscences would be either the one that Billvon pointed you at, or the History and Trivia forum (although its most active thread is a monster about DB Cooper. 
Take a look at the top level — there is plenty here about skydiving. And in each forum, either the title or the top post has information about what goes into that forum. 
Wendy P. 

You'd think a guy who boasts about how well versed he is in "how to responsibly lead and defend a nation" would figure out how to read a forum header.  

23 hours ago, kallend said:

You'd think a guy who boasts about how well versed he is in "how to responsibly lead and defend a nation" would figure out how to read a forum header.  

unless one also thinks that trump knew how to lead and defend a nation.  then it starts to make sense.

• Like 1