baronn

Pilot rigs on pilots

dzswoop717

The uspa stc if very old. It was before the top hinged door was figured out for jump operations. I recently bought a USPA door removal stc for one of my personal planes that I jump out of occasionally. I did it to be legal, to protect the pilots who fly for me. Most of these guys fly for a living and a ramp check with no stc could hurt their careers. I think it mentions that the pilot must wear an emergency rig.

Yes, plus, most of them address the issue of additional seat belts and brackets, and removal of the right seat (and rear seat) and right hand yoke. Most of them require a placard for the pilot wear a parachute.

What do you have in addition to the STC's since the STCs address only the removal of the door and do not mention the step at all? Field Approval for the door and step?

Read my previous post about the door removal. The other STC that USPA has covers the removal of the seats and the addition of an extra seat belt to allow 4 jumpers on board. I bought it but haven't used it yet. I just remove the door, yoke, and copilot seat when we use my plane for jumping.

Still say you make shit up. Here is a list of all the STC's for jump doors in the FAA web site.
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSTC.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

If you look at them all, there is no information provided as to the requirements to accomplish the modification, nor any limitations invoked by such modifications. So you never saw anything on the FAA web site requiring a pilot to wear a parachute like you stated, you made it up. Now if you have an STC, it specifically tells you how to modify an aircraft with drawings, and any requirements for placarding or limitations that are a direct result of the modifications that must be placed in the flight manual. So its possible that an STC could require a pilot to wear a parachute, you just wouldn't find it on the FAA web site.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

We only go with 3 jumpers and the original door removal stc covers pre 1959- 170, 180,182 models. There is even a sentence in there that says an observer must wear a parachute. It also says that the jumper by the door must face forward sitting on the floor and use the original seat belt.
I guess back then guys would get there buddy to take them up for some jumps and this was the first stc to make getting an average cessna ready for jump ops.
I want to put an inflight door on it but dont want to hack up the airframe, besides we do't jump that much and only when it is warm.

PhreeZone

Did you seriously have a rigger refuse to pack a round PEP with a round ???

Hell, I am only 30 minutes away from the poster and would pack a round with no hesitation. I need to dig the line separator back out since I have not used it in years but its not that hard to pack a round. The hardest part is the inspection taking forever.

It's due for a repack now. How could I get it to you?

I have done several Cessna jump conversions and I get a letter from the local FSDO (FAA) office, "Operating limitations for flight with door removed". It states in # 5 that "all occupants" must wear parachutes....." I am not sure if they consider the pilot an occupant. We have always had the pilot wear an emergency parachute. I guess a clarification from the FAA would be needed.

8/31/2010 8130.2G
2-31
Figure 2-3. Sample Limitations for the Operation of an Aircraft
With a Door Removed
U.S. Department
of Transportation
Federal Aviation
Administration
Make ________________
Model _______________ Serial No.______
Registration No. ____________________
AIRCRAFT OPERATING LIMITATIONS
The aircraft described above may be flown with not more than one cabin door removed for
the purpose of (see note below), provided the aircraft is operated in accordance with the
applicable sections of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations and the following
limitations:
Note: Show specific operations; for example, intentional parachute jumping, skydiving, etc.
1. Maximum speed not to exceed any of the following:
The approved maneuvering speed.
70 percent maximum level flight speed.
70 percent maximum structural cruising speed.
2. Aerobatic maneuvers are not permitted.
3. Maximum yaw angle 10 degrees; maximum bank angle 15 degrees.
4. A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)-approved safety belt must be provided and
worn by each occupant during takeoff and landing and at all other times when required by
the pilot-in-command.
5. All occupants must wear parachutes when intentional parachute jumping and
skydiving operations are conducted.
6. Smoking is not permitted.
7. When operations other than intentional parachute jumping and skydiving are
conducted, a suitable guardrail or equivalent safety device must be provided for the
doorway.
8. All loose articles must be tied down or stowed.
9. No baggage may be carried.
8/31/2010 8130.2G
2-32
Figure 2-3. Sample Limitations for the Operation of an Aircraft
With a Door Removed (Continued)
10. Parachutists’ static lines must be kept free of pilot’s controls and control surfaces.
11. Operations are limited to visual flight rules conditions.
12. Cabin door hold-open clips installed on wing brace struts and/or under surface of wing
must be removed before conducting intentional parachute jumping or skydiving operations.
13. When intentional parachute jumping, skydiving, or other specified operations are being
conducted, the pilot at the controls must hold at least a private pilot certificate and appropriate
rating.
14. This aircraft must not be operated in solo flight by the holder of a student pilot certificate.
15. Operation of this aircraft with a door removed for any purpose other than that for which it
is certificated is prohibited.
16. The following placard must be placed on the instrument panel in full view of the pilot:
“For flight with door removed, see aircraft operating limitations dated ___________.”
17. A copy of these limitations must be carried in the aircraft when flight operations are
conducted with the door removed.
18. These operating limitations are a part of the airworthiness certificate.
FAA Inspector ________________________ Date ___________________
Office No. ________________