wmw999

60 Minutes: "Race in the Ranks"

Interview with 4-star General Lloyd Austin (ret) and 4-star general Charles Q. Brown on 60 Minutes

This is a link just to that segment on FB; you shouldn't need a FB logon to watch it (I checked).

Very interesting. Both love the military; both say that the military has led the way in a lot of ways. Both say it's not done. Worth watching. It'd be hard to say they're a couple of whining losers

Wendy P.

I saw this when it aired on Sunday. I usually try to catch that show. Interesting indeed. It made me realize how ignorant I am in following the make up of the JCS through different administrations. I don’t feel I should weigh in with an opinion though, having never served myself.

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Do you need to be murdered to have an opinion on the death penalty?

no, but when talking about racism in the military, it helps to have some first hand knowledge of it.  if not, you're listening to all second hand accounts from someone else whose motives and agenda may not be the same as purported. 

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Do you need to be murdered to have an opinion on the death penalty?

No, and I do have an opinion. I just don’t feel well enough informed or experienced to contribute much by sharing it. What sfzombie said sums that up well enough. I’d be interested to get some veterans’ takes on the segment, though. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

no, but when talking about racism in the military, it helps to have some first hand knowledge of it.  if not, you're listening to all second hand accounts from someone else whose motives and agenda may not be the same as purported. 

Agree

31 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

No, and I do have an opinion. I just don’t feel well enough informed or experienced to contribute much by sharing it. What sfzombie said sums that up well enough. I’d be interested to get some veterans’ takes on the segment, though. 

Agree and BIGUN has offered some good insight, comment. What I immediately thought about was the relative education of Black and colored personnel v. whites. By education I mean West Point, US Air Force academy, etc. and other colleges. Then factoring in their military records. I'm sure there are a couple good studies factoring all the variables including race.

Naturally the identical study factoring military records, education, etc. including sex of the candidates would be useful.

(edited)

Last time I brought up there was racism and misogyny in the armed forces veterans on here disputed that was the case. Actually the argument was that white privilege could not really be understood by veterans and service members because in the armed forces they are all the same colour.

Edited by SkyDekker
  • Like 1