1 1
Skwrl

Morality and Ethics - The Trolley Problem

31 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm thinking that the trolly problem is a brainchild of someone who has never won a fat hand at poker. Bottom line: if there are going to be winners there are certainly going to be losers.

Oh I am thinking the brainchildren of the trolley problem were very well aware of the concept of winners and losers. Behaviour formed by ethical dilemmas becomes even more interesting to discus as autonomous transportation grows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Oh I am thinking the brainchildren of the trolley problem were very well aware of the concept of winners and losers. Behaviour formed by ethical dilemmas becomes even more interesting to discus as autonomous transportation grows.

I do so love it when Skydivers speak of autonomous transportation and behavior. 

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Yeah I have no idea what that means, but I am sure it made you feel smart.

Well, it was a broadly defined reference to the use of gravity as a motive force and reference to the sorts of things skydivers enjoying doing that often don't play well off of the airport.

19 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm thinking that the trolly problem is a brainchild of someone who has never won a fat hand at poker. Bottom line: if there are going to be winners there are certainly going to be losers.

It was the brainchild of Philippa Foot in the 1960's, an English philosopher who was exploring the perception of ethics in the general population.  She spoke of general tests of ethics including that one.  It was labeled "the trolley problem" by US philosopher Judith Jarvis Thomson, a term used to refer to a class of thought experiments.

I think that if the lesson you take away from that is "there are going to be winners and losers" you might be missing the underlying foundation of the trolley problem.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

It was the brainchild of Philippa Foot in the 1960's, an English philosopher who was exploring the perception of ethics in the general population.  She spoke of general tests of ethics including that one.  It was labeled "the trolley problem" by US philosopher Judith Jarvis Thomson, a term used to refer to a class of thought experiments.

I think that if the lesson you take away from that is "there are going to be winners and losers" you might be missing the underlying foundation of the trolley problem.

Oh, I know that. I was just being glib.