DJL

What is Plan B - Emergency Contraceptive

I was having a conversation with several friends about making Plan B available by an Uber driver with a Plan B Pez dispenser and that I would support legislation that would make it cheap, free, or more readily available in a effort to reduce unplanned pregnancies. Now, regardless of whether it will have that effect is a separate issue but after a very long discussion I realized that they think Plan B is an abortion. I do understand that there is a history of opposition to Plan B and that at some point it was thought even in the medical community that it stopped a fertilized egg from being implanted. It's unfortunate that this language made its way into the FDA description but there is now overwhelming data showing that Plan B will not stop a fertilized egg from being implanted, that it does not affect the endometrium, that it only stops fertilization.

So, I'm curious how much people understand about Plan-B.

Edit: Wups, sorry for misspelling "Contraceptive" in the thread title. Mondays, ya know?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The manufacturer's website says stopping implantation of a fertilized egg is one of three ways it can prevent pregnancy.

plan B® comes in a one-pill dose. If taken within 72 hours (3 days) and preferably within 12 hours after a contraceptive accident or unprotected sex, it can prevent pregnancy by doing one of three things:

Temporarily stops the release of an egg from the ovary
Prevents fertilization
Prevents a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus

http://planb.ca/how-it-works.html
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Levonorgestrel is a common birth control, Plan B is only a more concentrated dose of it. It cannot act quickly enough and is not powerful enough to affect the endometrium, they list it because they have to describe every possibility as to how it may work. There is no evidence showing that this actually happens. Studies have shown that it will not stop a fertilized egg from implanting: https://ec.princeton.edu/questions/ecwork.html

I consider "abortion" to be removing a fetus from the uterus. If a fertilized egg fails to attach for whatever reason, this is not an abortion (IMHO).

RU-486 is, however, a chemical D&C, and therefore is abortion.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

I consider "abortion" to be removing a fetus from the uterus. If a fertilized egg fails to attach for whatever reason, this is not an abortion (IMHO).

I think the only reason it's become prevalent recently is because Hobby Lobby didn't want emergency contraception to be involved in their insurance package. Their claim was that a pregnancy starts at conception and therefore Plan-B is an abortion. I think we all know that a pregnancy will not continue if the fertilized egg never implants. No humble opinion needed.

DJL

***I consider "abortion" to be removing a fetus from the uterus. If a fertilized egg fails to attach for whatever reason, this is not an abortion (IMHO).

I think the only reason it's become prevalent recently is because Hobby Lobby didn't want emergency contraception to be involved in their insurance package. Their claim was that a pregnancy starts at conception and therefore Plan-B is an abortion. I think we all know that a pregnancy will not continue if the fertilized egg never implants. No humble opinion needed.

The thing that kills me is that oral contraceptives are used to manage symptoms of a wide variety of reproductive issues in women. Okay, they want to believe Plan-B is over the line. But fighting to keep from paying for any type of oral contraceptive because they don't believe in the contraception use of it (only) is so totally backward and selfish. [/rant], {steps off soap box} :|
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!