shaz10

Things to check in a DZ..

stayhigh

that looks way higher than 200 feet and you can hook tandems lower than that, depending on weight and size of the canopy.

I was thinking the same thing...depending on the lens - could be all kinds of altitude.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I think there was a crash here a couple of hours ago.
I was coming back from walking my dogs and I heard the sound of the chutes above so I looked up and could see them up in the cloud.
Several minutes later I noticed one of them had the chute tangles and was falling straight down.
The chute was in a line if you know what I mean, just like if you pick a handkerchief up in the middle and hold it, and was twisted around.
To be honest they didn't seem to be falling all that fast, but maybe looks are deceiving, as they had nothing much to slow them down, apart from a small white chute above the main chute.
I watched to see if they would deploy the reserve chute but they didn't. Maybe it wouldn't work or maybe they froze in fright.

Hiker

I think there was a crash here a couple of hours ago.
I was coming back from walking my dogs and I heard the sound of the chutes above so I looked up and could see them up in the cloud.
Several minutes later I noticed one of them had the chute tangles and was falling straight down.
The chute was in a line if you know what I mean, just like if you pick a handkerchief up in the middle and hold it, and was twisted around.
To be honest they didn't seem to be falling all that fast, but maybe looks are deceiving, as they had nothing much to slow them down, apart from a small white chute above the main chute.
I watched to see if they would deploy the reserve chute but they didn't. Maybe it wouldn't work or maybe they froze in fright.

That sounds like a main canopy that has been released, with nobody attached to it. It is fairly common for that to be seen from far away and 911 calls to result.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

That sounds like a main canopy that has been released, with nobody attached to it. It is fairly common for that to be seen from far away and 911 calls to result.

No, you could see a person there as well, I would say they were about 2.5 kilometres away.
The other skydivers, there were three of them I think, were a couple of kilometres to the left, and still way up there when the other one dissapeared from my view. The other ones seemed to be just hanging there watching, you see them all the time here, and usually they come down fairly quick, corkscrewing down, but these ones were just sitting up there.

Airtight Pic - Biggest, prettiest Hangar in Oklahoma & those houses weren't there in the background ten years ago when we were building it.

Tulsa - Rented Hangar for now, but the openest area in the State and Dale's soon to compete with his own new large facility on 20 acres at that airport.

Last event listed on the Skytight site is Safety Day 2012.

Pricing on the Tulsa site does not list fun jumpers. It does list rental gear, though.

Internet sites can really be helpful if they are helpful.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

So I did my first jump in 1999 at the DZ shown alongside Spaceland. I did 7 jumps there and quit because I ran out of money and took up the sport a couple years ago. So I got to start learning again at a different DZ which was much more modern. Both time were very different experiences.

For the 99 experience, since it was so small, I essentially hours of 1 on 1 training with the DZO, who had been jumping for 30 years. Most times, I was the only person there, and I got lots of practice and very thorough debriefs on ways for improvement. That being said, even as someone new to the sport, I was scared shitless of his gear and definitely his 182s. I was also highly aware of the gigantic power lines running down the side of the landing area. But, I jumped there anyway and everything worked out fine.

Now move on to my AFF experience where my AFF instructor would come off a tandem, spend about 5 minutes worth of dirt diving, we go do the jump, and I get about 2 to 3 minutes of debrief before he has to go do another tandem. DZ was really nice though, gear was good, I just wasn't the number one game in town. Quality of instruction was poorer, but since I was 30 years old when I came back, I tended to approach things with a lot more thought and caution than I did as an 18 year old. Studied the SIM a lot, came on these forums, watched videos, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is even if a DZ looks like shit, doesn't mean it's horrible. Just because a DZ looks slick, doesn't mean it's the best.

And finally, you can also learn a lot about a DZ through this website.

Do they have continuous 3G coverage, so that you can:
... compare competitors' prices with the girl at the front desk.
... compare what the instructor says in the classroom with USPA's on-line SIM
... confirm that you checked all the stuff on the gear check list
... confirm that surface winds match the forecast
... confirm that the upper winds match numbers published by TC, FAA, etc.
... confirm (on the way up) that you still have access to the SIM in case you have a malfunction
... check list for free fall tasks, on the way down
... cross-check your GPS altitude with the altitudes displayed by your visual altimeter, two or more audible altimeters, all to confirm that the instructors are not cheating you out of expensive free-fall time
... confirm that the spot matches your on-line spot calculator.
... confirm that you are flying the correct landing pattern, compatible with ADS of other canopies, local surface wind forecasts, etc.
... down load video footage of your awesome free-fall smile before you touch down
... fill in your logbook