keithbar

Playing video off a defunked dvr ????

Sorry my bad for drunk posting. I finally upgraded my directv service to a base and a wireless . My old dvr was so old they didn't want it back but it's full of Friday freak outs. The gypsy moths movie and the pink skies documentary plus way more stuff . I remember years ago a big storm came through and blew my dish out of line but I was complaining to the guy and he showed me how to get into the list even if the dish was searching for satellite signal but that's been a long time and he had the remote in his hand
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Well, this is much more information than in the initial post, but still lacks the details needed to actually help you. (with proper punctuation I might not have needed to read your post 3 times to make sure I understood it properly).

Please give us more details to your dvr. What type is it, what kind of malfunction is it suffering from. If the drive is fine just remove it from the device, buy an adapter from amazon and access your stuff from a computer. If the drive is the problem things become more complicated, but the nature of drives is that it takes some effort to make data completely and absolutely unrecoverable. It may be simple (a broken file-system for instance can be fixed via software) or complicated (broken magnet head that scratched the surface of the disk to name one option), its essentially a matter of how much time and effort and in more severe cases money you wanna spend on recovering your data.

But not even knowing what kind of DVR you're using and what the "defunked" symptom is, it's pretty much impossible to help you any further than this :) I also have no clue how your satellite dish and "the guy" are linked to the dvr problem ...

Wolfgang

Wolfgang,
I believe what he is saying is that the DVR does not allow him to retrieve anything because it isn't connected to a satellite dish with an active subscription to the satellite service. You might not be from the US, and this particular problem might not exist in any other country (where there are probably laws against TV companies doing such things), but in the US, you don't own your DVR. It's lent to you by your TV service provider and they make it so it only works when you are connected to their service, so you need to pay for their subscription even to watch old recorded stuf. So there is probably absolutely nothing wrong with the DVR, but he needs to get around that little trick that the TV service company uses to disable it.

Sorry, I have no idea how to do that. Haven't paid for (or used) any cable or satellite TV for a decade. The idea with the hard drive could work IF they don't use some encryption scheme on these DVRs.

mbohu

Wolfgang,
I believe what he is saying is that the DVR does not allow him to retrieve anything because it isn't connected to a satellite dish with an active subscription to the satellite service. You might not be from the US, and this particular problem might not exist in any other country (where there are probably laws against TV companies doing such things), but in the US, you don't own your DVR. It's lent to you by your TV service provider and they make it so it only works when you are connected to their service, so you need to pay for their subscription even to watch old recorded stuf. So there is probably absolutely nothing wrong with the DVR, but he needs to get around that little trick that the TV service company uses to disable it.

Sorry, I have no idea how to do that. Haven't paid for (or used) any cable or satellite TV for a decade. The idea with the hard drive could work IF they don't use some encryption scheme on these DVRs.

. Yeah that’s it thanks for explaining it better than I did
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Ahhh now it makes total sense and I learned something! Thanks a bunch! Indeed I have no knowledge about anything like that in Europe.

Being the tech-savvy guy I'd just take it apart just to find out if it was encrypted, and if it was I'd feel challenged to use google-knowledge and see if there was a chance to decrypt it (and if they don't use an unnecessary super-duper-secure system I'd wild-bet there is).

keithbar, I'd start with looking up the exact type name of your dvr (usually to be found on the label on the bottom of the device) and start googling the type and "retrieving data without subscription".
If you post the type name here I'd now be intrigued to find out myself. You got me interested now :)