Elpnor

Reverse S fold pack job

Westerly

But what about if the toggle pops while opening and you're not running a high performance canopy? Is it that serious of an issue?

A few jumps ago after checking that my canopy was there and square, while collapsing my slider and loosening my chest strap and sliding my leg straps down a bit, I thought to myself, “Ok self. Why am I turning to the right. My canopy is not mad at me, but it seems to want to go over that way.” So I am double checking my canopy to see if I missed something when I realize my left brake had released on opening.

New jumper so I am loaded at 1.1

It was a gentle turn, not the violent spin one would get on a highly loaded wing I guess.

Westerly

It's interesting that you said a brake fire is a serious issue. I thought it was a minor issue unless you have a highly loaded canopy which will dive and spin hard with a stuck toggle. I've accidentally unstowed one toggle after opening and not the other. When that happened the canopy barely spun at all with a 1:1 WL. I could easily counteract the spin just by pulling a hair on the opposite rear riser, so I guess I was always under the assumption that if the toggle comes off during deployment that it wouldent matter much. Now I can see the issue with the toggles being off prior to opening, thanks for that. But what about if the toggle pops while opening and you're not running a high performance canopy? Is it that serious of an issue?

It depends on the canopy and the wingloading.

I've had brake fires on a Triathlon at 1:1. The spin was reasonably fast, and got faster. Rear riser (more than 'just a hair') stopped the spin.

I've also had them on a Sabre2 at about 1.15:1. Much faster, rear riser does not stop the spin. I had to pop a toggle to stop it.

And there was an incident a few years ago where a brake fire was fatal. The jumper fought it for too long, ended up way too low and cut away too late.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soAirkFeyFU

This pull was around 4500, so plenty of time to figure what the fuck was going on. I identified the toggle fire straight way and corrected it... Yes unzipping my arm wing would have helped rather that struggle pushing thru it. But when the shit hits the fan, you do what you do! Luckily I didn't doo in my small clothes!

Thanks for the video Justin! I've been reverse s folding practicing a lot lately, and it's working pretty well. I can't really put my knees on the folds, or the fabric squirts out, but my technique is getting jumpable. I'm still a bit torn on where to put my knees on the label. Above the grommets, below, or on, although on seems a bit dumb. Anyone else have a vid out there?