wmw999

Very interesting what-if exercise

Saw this on FB. Someone excerpted some of the Clinton-Trump debates with genders reversed, and were surprised at the result. It's worth reading.
Link

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Saw this on FB. Someone excerpted some of the Clinton-Trump debates with genders reversed, and were surprised at the result. It's worth reading.
Link

Wendy P.

I understand the point of the exercise, but since it is such an extreme example I can't give a lot to weight to it. Here's my problem, I think if the genders weren't reversed, but this debate was shown to a reasonable audience who had previously not been exposed to it, that the Trump words would be taken as overly aggressive and not Presidential.

I think a better experiment would be to take a debate between reasonable male debaters, both of whom were generally thought to be only slightly aggressive but both knowledgeable and considered appropriate, and then conduct three more tests; Male/ Female, Female/Male, Female/Female.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Rush Limbaugh is all over this experiment. It was presented to West Greenwich Village Liberals. And, it points out how weak Hillary is and strong President Trump's leadership skills are.

Time will tell.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Of course he is. But if Rush had conducted something like this and gotten surprising results, we'd never, ever, hear about it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RonD1120

And, it points out how weak Hillary is and strong President Trump's leadership skills are.

I believe you've completely misunderstood pretty much everything about the piece.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think there is something unique about this election cycle. Well, several things but I'm referring to what I see as a lack of "either or." Two years into Carter's victory a lot of people were saying "Why didn't I vote for Ford." Or "Why didn't I vote for Gore instead of Bush."
I really think that the majority of Trump's votes weren't votes for him, but votes against HRC. People held their noses and voted Trump, and then saw things get even worse than they ever imagined. But I think it would be a mistake to think that the disgust over Trump translates to support for HRC. And, when you combine that with the knowledge that if Trump were to quit, which I expect before his first year is out, that still leaves Pence in charge.
It's going to be a very strange four years.

Bob_Church

I really think that the majority of Trump's votes weren't votes for him, but votes against HRC. People held their noses and voted Trump, and then saw things get even worse than they ever imagined. But I think it would be a mistake to think that the disgust over Trump translates to support for HRC. And, when you combine that with the knowledge that if Trump were to quit, which I expect before his first year is out, that still leaves Pence in charge.
It's going to be a very strange four years.

Nicely put - I tend to extend the 'protest vote' concept to beyond just anti-HRC, but anti-status quo, anti-career politician. Just because you can't stand one candidate in no way automatically makes the other one some kind of ideal. I'm perfectly capable of being disgusted with both choices. People are too binary (or they are not).

as for the experiment - it was fun to watch. the woman really nailed the hand gestures and posture, she likely had a great time with it

but I don't find it scientific nor would draw any conclusions other than "people design experiments to try to validate their preconceptions" -the fact that they admitted that was their purpose and also admitted the results showed they were wrong and didn't try to rationalize it away, and that it made them think a bit, gives hope too

it's just an entertainment exercise

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants