ryoder

Drone strike on Abu Khayr al Masri ?

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/7914/was-a-new-type-of-drone-launched-weapon-used-to-kill-al-qaedas-2-man

The curious thing is that it looks like there was no explosion, but just the kind of damage you might see from a loose rock being dropped on it, i.e. a purely kinetic weapon.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

sonnyblu

the car pictured literally has a hole punched through its roof with no real sign of a large explosion. It's almost as if an anvil was dropped on the car's occupants.

I knew this Amazon drone thing wasn't gonna workout.

I was thinking they should pull sales records at Acme to see if any large, heavy objects were recently purchased by Wile E. Coyote.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

the car pictured literally has a hole punched through its roof with no real sign of a large explosion. It's almost as if an anvil was dropped on the car's occupants.

I knew this Amazon drone thing wasn't gonna workout.

I was thinking they should pull sales records at Acme to see if any large, heavy objects were recently purchased by Wile E. Coyote.

Check the FAA drone registry under that name as well.

ryoder

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/7914/was-a-new-type-of-drone-launched-weapon-used-to-kill-al-qaedas-2-man

The curious thing is that it looks like there was no explosion, but just the kind of damage you might see from a loose rock being dropped on it, i.e. a purely kinetic weapon.

There is a pick-up truck at a well known SoCal drop zone which was purchased after one of the engines of one of the planes, while on jump run, decided it no longer needed all its parts. A chunk of rotor about the size of a porkpie hat and weighing 10 or so pounds accelerated from 12.5 to impact the truck sitting in the driveway of a nearby home. The rotor made a neat hole in the top of the cab, went through a seat, and floorboard before creating a divot in the driveway.

Or at least, those are the facts as I recall them.

I tell that story to illustrate it doesn't take a hell of a lot of mass to do massive damage.

What I find interesting is the photos which go along with this article seem to indicate to me, just based on my knowledge of one other similar instance that the object in question appears to have been both wider and slower in that rather than punching a neat hole, it dragged a comparatively large area of roof down into the hole.

It would be interesting to look at the debris.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Phil1111

***The guy's an Egyptian.

So why isn't Egypt on Trump's shit list of countries whose nationals are to be banned?

"Trump lists two companies on his FEC filing possibly related to business in Egypt: Trump Marks Egypt and Trump Marks Egypt LLC."
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/tracking-trumps-web-of-conflicts/

Ah, the old GREED motive. Got it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******The guy's an Egyptian.

So why isn't Egypt on Trump's shit list of countries whose nationals are to be banned?

"Trump lists two companies on his FEC filing possibly related to business in Egypt: Trump Marks Egypt and Trump Marks Egypt LLC."
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/tracking-trumps-web-of-conflicts/

Ah, the old GREED motive. Got it.

Oh come on, I know that was a rhetorical question from you. I just thought i would answer it for the odd trump supporter who might be wondering. Wondering because they were working on a USAID project in Africa and are unaware of the trump family's propensity to self enrich. At every opportunity.