brenthutch

People are going to be surprised when they read 1984

FFS, Trump's only been in office for a week. Did you expect him to have his perpetual conflict started already? Give him a month at least.

Remember - we have always been allies with Russia, and we've always been at war with South America...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

brenthutch

It is much more Bush/Obama than Trump, alternative facts not withstanding.

You're misunderstanding the core principal of the book. The totalitarian state / fight against opression is the subplot. It's more of a playbook on mass manipulation - constantly stating the 'facts' as you want them to be seen, limiting access to other sources of information etc. It's a work of genius.

I'll give Trump this; he's a natural at it.

yoink

***It is much more Bush/Obama than Trump, alternative facts not withstanding.

You're misunderstanding the core principal of the book. The totalitarian state / fight against opression is the subplot. It's more of a playbook on mass manipulation - constantly stating the 'facts' as you want them to be seen, limiting access to other sources of information etc. It's a work of genius.

I'll give Trump this; he's a natural at it.

The Affordable Care Act? Gun Safety? Tax Expenditures? Woman's Reproductive Health? All examples of doublespeak. An Obamacare architect openly stated how they used doublespeak to pass the ACH. Unlike in 1984, there are information sources that don't run lockstep with Big Brother. For example, Obama's boogie man, FOX news.

With regard to Trump, he is not a master of it, he is terrible at it. The only one he is able to convince, is himself. He is, however, a master of distraction. While the media have been going ape shit over his crowd size claims, his cabinet pick hearings have largely gone under the radar and most, if not all, will be approved.

brenthutch

While the media have been going ape shit over his crowd size claims, his cabinet pick hearings have largely gone under the radar and most, if not all, will be approved.

In response to part one of this. No. The media haven't been going ape shit over it. He has. He fired the first shot by personally picking up the phone and calling the National Park Service to shut down a simple retweet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/us/politics/trump-inauguration-crowd-size-park-chief.html?_r=0

Then he sent Spicer into the briefing room to lie about the size of the crowd.

Like with many things which have gotten numerous Presidents in trouble with the press, it has less to do with the thing and far more to do with the lies about it.

If the press can't trust the President and his spokesmen to tell the truth on simple things, then how can they trust him to tell the truth about the difficult things?

As for the second part, you must be reading different press than I am. The cabinet picks have in no way "gone under the radar."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

brenthutch

usual nonsense.

"People are going to be surprised when they read 1984"

When? I first read it in 1962.

Your lack of "clue" is no longer a surprise, however.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

*** usual nonsense.

"People are going to be surprised when they read 1984"

When? I first read it in 1962.

Your lack of "clue" is no longer a surprise, however.

As a paleo-lib, it is not surprising that you are unaware of recent events. FYI there has been a resurgence of interest in the book since Trumps election.

BTW I read it twice, in the eighties. Once in high school, once in college. For social commentary, I prefer Voltaire.

brenthutch

FYI there has been a resurgence of interest in the book since Trumps election.

According to Amazon their sales of it have gone up 9,500% since Trump's inauguration. That's not a typo. Nine THOUSAND percent.

I love the book and have several copies, some even annotated. Did you know that since it's release it's NEVER gone out of print?