PhreeZone

3 Arrested for planning attacks using weapons of mass destruction

Funny. The story doesn't seem to mention the religion of the terrorists. Unless "asshole" is a religion.

Most white supremacists call themselves "Christian", but follow the teachings of Christ about as closely as my mom's cat.

And I don't care how many idiotic state legislatures pass laws calling this crap a "Weapon of Mass Destruction", a truck bomb full of ANFO and homemade thermite (not 'nano-thermite', mind you) is not nuclear, chemical or biological. Which is how WMDs are defined in the real world.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Most white supremacists call themselves "Christian", but follow the teachings of Christ about as closely as my mom's cat.

One of them posts on here quite regularly.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

wolfriverjoe

And I don't care how many idiotic state legislatures pass laws calling this crap a "Weapon of Mass Destruction", a truck bomb full of ANFO and homemade thermite (not 'nano-thermite', mind you) is not nuclear, chemical or biological. Which is how WMDs are defined in the real world.

Emphasis mine.

Not state. Federal.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2332a

A "truck bomb full of ANFO and homemade thermite" falls well within the definition.

You're right in a certain way though, when I was growing up and had cause to learn about such things, NBC warfare was pretty much it. Then again, everything changed after 9/11.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***And I don't care how many idiotic state legislatures pass laws calling this crap a "Weapon of Mass Destruction", a truck bomb full of ANFO and homemade thermite (not 'nano-thermite', mind you) is not nuclear, chemical or biological. Which is how WMDs are defined in the real world.

Emphasis mine.

Not state. Federal.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2332a

A "truck bomb full of ANFO and homemade thermite" falls well within the definition.

You're right in a certain way though, when I was growing up and had cause to learn about such things, NBC warfare was pretty much it. Then again, everything changed after 9/11.

Ok, my mistake. I didn't realize (although I probably should have) realized that it was the US Congress and Senate, not state legislatures, that was a bunch of over-reactive morons.

You're right though. The attacks in 2001 changed everything. Idiotic rules, loss of due process, loss of privacy, all that shit because we got scared.

Nothing really changed. The "Security Theatre" at airports is a joke. Something like 95% of tests are failures (stuff is missed).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

wolfriverjoe

You're right though. The attacks in 2001 changed everything. Idiotic rules, loss of due process, loss of privacy, all that shit because we got scared.

No argument from me there. I'd even go further and it's not just the government, but also private industry.

Fear "sells." In some respects it's just capitalism, but in others it's pretty f'ed up.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***You're right though. The attacks in 2001 changed everything. Idiotic rules, loss of due process, loss of privacy, all that shit because we got scared.

No argument from me there. I'd even go further and it's not just the government, but also private industry.

Fear "sells." In some respects it's just capitalism, but in others it's pretty f'ed up.

Agreed.

Some people simply aren't "happy" unless they have something to be afraid of. Muslims, immigrants, homosexuals/transgenders (flip side - guns, climate change religious totalitarianism), and on and on.

Some of the fears are not totally out of line, but they are blown completely out of proportion.

Take terrorism for example. The chances of a US citizen being killed by a terrorist (of any kind, not just Muslim) are infinitesimal.
Being killed in a car crash has about a 1 in 10,000 chance in a given year.

Which one are people afraid of? Terrorists or texters?

wolfriverjoe

******You're right though. The attacks in 2001 changed everything. Idiotic rules, loss of due process, loss of privacy, all that shit because we got scared.

Agreed.

Some people simply aren't "happy" unless they have something to be afraid of. Muslims, immigrants, homosexuals/transgenders (flip side - guns, climate change religious totalitarianism), and on and on.

Some of the fears are not totally out of line, but they are blown completely out of proportion.

Take terrorism for example. The chances of a US citizen being killed by a terrorist (of any kind, not just Muslim) are infinitesimal.
Being killed in a car crash has about a 1 in 10,000 chance in a given year.

Which one are people afraid of? Terrorists or texters?

"Texting is Terrorism!!!!"

"Whiskey is a WMD!!!!"