RonD1120

What really happened in Vietnam

For the benefit of the younger liberal Democrats here, the following clip is a good explanation for some of the major distrust people of my generation have for the Democrats. They started the war under false pretenses, the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and ended it with betrayal to South Vietnam.

Don't waste the bandwidth with Bush/Iraq posts. Just watch, listen and learn.

http://www.prageruniversity.com/History/The-Truth-about-the-Vietnam-War.html
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

quade

Simply put, Prager University presents a delusional view of the world

Some supporting evidence to counter your opinion, at least on this issue.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/138781/black-april-fall-south-vietnam-1973-75-jamie-glazov
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

And yet the transcript of this speech given by President Gerald R. Ford on April 10, 1975 does not agree in any way with the events described in the video presented by Prager University.

http://millercenter.org/president/ford/speeches/speech-5500

He's not simply asking for funding by the Congress of "replacement bullets", he's specifically asking to restart the war.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

And yet the transcript of this speech given by President Gerald R. Ford on April 10, 1975 does not agree in any way with the events described in the video presented by Prager University.

http://millercenter.org/president/ford/speeches/speech-5500

He's not simply asking for funding by the Congress of "replacement bullets", he's specifically asking to restart the war.

I read the speech and I do not agree with your conclusion that Ford wanted to restart the war. He was asking for funds to assist South Vietnam as per the Paris agreement. He was not requesting troops. I maintain the Prager video is accurate.

LBJ got us into the war because he needed to distract America from finding out that he set up the assassination of JFK so that he could gain office.

Also, having expounded upon political successes gained from his completely erroneous Silver Star, he needed a war to send future democratic politicians to so he could set them up with career boosting medals (John Kerry's numerous Purple Hearts for example)

We all know how eager those ARVN boys were to defend their terribly corrupt country. If the whole premise of the argument is based on the south having a willing army, but just lacking the arms, it's a ridiculous argument.

The same thing is now happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, despite the billions in hardware we provide on a yearly basis, they don't have the will to fight.

Some of us don't really care which party it was, that did something wrong or did something we didn't like or just had bad things happen.

Some may still obsess about how the Democrats supposedly "lost China", for all I know.

Who knows, maybe I might agree with you about some aspect of how the Gulf of Tonkin was a combination of jitters, overreaction, and looking for a reason to escalate a fight -- whether the latter is judged good or bad. But I don't see it as a Democratic party characteristic.

If Nixon did something bad, I can see when blame it on Nixon's own personality, within the context of the era, and not as a character trait of all Republicans.