rushmc

"‘Warm blob’ in Pacific Ocean linked to weird weather across the US"

Makes more sense than John's AWG alarmism

The new study explores the blob’s origins. It finds that it relates to a persistent high-pressure ridge that caused a calmer ocean during the past two winters, so less heat was lost to cold air above. The warmer temperatures we see now aren’t due to more heating, but less winter cooling.

Co-authors on the paper are Meghan Cronin at NOAA in Seattle and a UW affiliate professor of oceanography, Nate Mantua at NOAA in Santa Cruz and Howard Freeland at Canada’s Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/04/09/warm-blob-in-pacific-ocean-not-caused-by-climate-change-affects-u-s-weather/
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Now, i will admit that i havent had time or energy to read this but "the blob" doesnt scream scientific. Hasnt there allways been a warm water stream on the west coast? The reason Vancouver pretty much never has snow if i remember correctly.

Kadde

Now, i will admit that i havent had time or energy to read this but "the blob" doesnt scream scientific. Hasnt there allways been a warm water stream on the west coast? The reason Vancouver pretty much never has snow if i remember correctly.

I have no idea why they used that term
To senstionalize a title maybe? I dont know
In any event, it is a good read regarding a recent universty study regarding the affect of this warm water on the current weather patterns and what is causing it (In their opinions)
Abraham Lincoln

The "blob" is just a term that ended up getting coined out of this. Yes, the waters off the coast have been a few degrees warmer this year. The NWS office I work for is responsible for this forecast area, and we've been posting about warmer sea surface temperatures all winter. Has that been the all empowering drive on the weather though? I'd say it's influenced it of course, especially on a local level, but the main driving factor here is the stubborn ridging we've seen the last few winters, blocking all of the pacific storms well to the north. Associated with the high pressure has been abnormally drier conditions and warmer temps across the region. We've had a record breaking season here in CA in terms of temperatures, lack of rain, and lack of snow pack. The snow pack is only around 7% of normal right now, the lowest in recorded history.

The sea surface temperatures should see a swing back to cooler temps. April upwelling is already starting, which ushers us in to our marine stratus season which lasts from May-Oct. As for the weather patters across the country, that also has more to do with the blocking ridge in place over the east pac and west coast-- a huge ridge to the west is usually going to dip down in to a persistent long wave trof to the east, which is associated with the colder polar air and rain/snow along the frontal boundaries that come out of it (and for some reason, this polar vortex term has been coined and latched on to for this the last few seasons).

I would say it's not the "blob" that caused the changes with everything, but yet the stagnant ridge that caused the blob and the pattern changes across the west and all of the conus. We really need to get that ridge out of here.... it's kicked our asses out here the last 4 years, and we can't take another low snowpack/water season next year.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

LyraM45

The "blob" is just a term that ended up getting coined out of this. Yes, the waters off the coast have been a few degrees warmer this year. The NWS office I work for is responsible for this forecast area, and we've been posting about warmer sea surface temperatures all winter. Has that been the all empowering drive on the weather though? I'd say it's influenced it of course, especially on a local level, but the main driving factor here is the stubborn ridging we've seen the last few winters, blocking all of the pacific storms well to the north. Associated with the high pressure has been abnormally drier conditions and warmer temps across the region. We've had a record breaking season here in CA in terms of temperatures, lack of rain, and lack of snow pack. The snow pack is only around 7% of normal right now, the lowest in recorded history.

The sea surface temperatures should see a swing back to cooler temps. April upwelling is already starting, which ushers us in to our marine stratus season which lasts from May-Oct. As for the weather patters across the country, that also has more to do with the blocking ridge in place over the east pac and west coast-- a huge ridge to the west is usually going to dip down in to a persistent long wave trof to the east, which is associated with the colder polar air and rain/snow along the frontal boundaries that come out of it (and for some reason, this polar vortex term has been coined and latched on to for this the last few seasons).

I would say it's not the "blob" that caused the changes with everything, but yet the stagnant ridge that caused the blob and the pattern changes across the west and all of the conus. We really need to get that ridge out of here.... it's kicked our asses out here the last 4 years, and we can't take another low snowpack/water season next year.

They agree with you in as much as the ridge caused the blob
Nice post
Thanks
Abraham Lincoln

Andy9o8

I personally resent the craven plagiarizing of a seminal piece of cinematic history.

It did not stay frozen it seems!
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

>Makes more sense than John's AWG alarmism

Meh. Eventually we will understand it, at which point you will deny it.

You admitting you dont understand is a start
Abraham Lincoln