turtlespeed

How much climate change would be happening . . .

>What would a CO2 warmed world look like?

For you? Not much different. You'd turn your A/C up a bit and pay a little more for power, water and food.

For someone who lives on the water in India, or who lives in sub-Saharan Africa? Would probably look a lot different.

>Those people would be wrong. A warmed world would more closely resemble the
>hottest major city in the U.S., which is Miami, Florida.

Ah! And the people living in sub-Saharan Africa would be happy to move to Miami, eh? With all its rain and humidity.

You would go apeshit on someone who said something that silly about the risks of climate change.

Andy9o8

***How much climate change would be happening . . . If there were no humans here on earth?

If there were no humans on Earth, there'd be no oatmeal raisin cookies. Just wild oats and dried up grapes.
Deep thoughts, man.

all combinations and all possibilities are possible in natural variation

I'd just say that the likelihood of oatmeal raisin cookies without the benefit of human interference is HIGHLY unlikely

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Andy9o8

I was fortunate enough to go into the real cave at Lascaux in 1961, before they closed it to visitors. There were some nice pictures on the wall, but no records of the effects of climate change.:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

billvon

>What would a CO2 warmed world look like?

For you? Not much different. You'd turn your A/C up a bit and pay a little more for power, water and food.

For someone who lives on the water in India, or who lives in sub-Saharan Africa? Would probably look a lot different.

Depends. I was responding to a specific statement about India. And I suggested that Mumbai may end up like Hong Kong. Take a look at Hong Kong's climate, where pedestrians plan foot traffic through malls and air conditioned structures to make walks bearable.

What I was reflecting was a real life example of the type of climate that MAY result. Probably wont, but CAN happen.

>Those people would be wrong. A warmed world would more closely resemble the
>hottest major city in the U.S., which is Miami, Florida.

Ah! And the people living in sub-Saharan Africa would be happy to move to Miami, eh? With all its rain and humidity.

Bill. As you know, climate change along the tropics from CO2 is expected to be less than at northern latitudes. You are correct. Climate change would be different depending on where you are.

Greenland and Antarctica would get more precipitation, as would the planet as a whole. Sub Saharan Africa already has a warm and moist climate and it could get warmer and moister.

You would go apeshit on someone who said something that silly about the risks of climate change.

Correct. My wording was off. I didn't put the Miami statement in context.

The context was this: global warming is not going to be turning places into Phoenix. Places that get extremely hot but also get cold. Many would think places like Phoenix of Vegas are the hottest in the US, and by some measures they are.

But AGW doesn't mean higher daytime temperatures so much as it means warmer temperatures in the winter and at night. It might not get much higher with high temps, but will have higher low temps. It's the lack of ever really getting cold that makes Miami the warmest major city in the US.

It's what I meant by that statement about Miami. The night just doesn't cool off much. (And yes, I know that Miami will see less effect from AGW because its climate is already dominated by a warm ocean, high humidity, etc. Phoenix, which is arid, would see a bigger impact from AGW than Miami in terms of its nightly temperature increase.)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>But AGW doesn't mean higher daytime temperatures so much as it means warmer
>temperatures in the winter and at night. It might not get much higher with high temps,
>but will have higher low temps.

Right. It means higher temperatures overall, over summer and winter, night and day. In some places that might be good (places where cold is a problem right now) in some places that will likely be bad (places where heat is a problem now.)