airdvr

Brian pulls a Hillary

DanG

Williams would have known if the chopper had been shot at as he would have seen it or the pilot or other aircrew members would (with a very high degree of probability) ascertained it. An RPG shot? Most likely that shot would have been seen...or felt.

Not commenting specifically on Williams' story, but if you've every been in the back of a cargo aircraft (helicopter or fixed wing) you'l know this is not true. It's loud, shaky, and dark. Unless they were actually hit, the cargo (breathing or not) would likely never have any idea of what was going on outside.

I've only been a pax in the back of a military cargo aircraft three times**, but that is exactly my experience. Didn't have any clue what was going on outside or where we were, right up until we landed.

**Edited to add - three trips, seven flights overall.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Fog of War!

Flew on six weapons inspection missions in Iraq back in '96. On several occasions, the UN Helicopter got shot at evidenced by bullet holes in non-vital acft area noted post-mission. Was not on any mission that got shot at that I am aware of. The holes were there but no one 'fessed up to who did what. Fun 'n games.