Anvilbrother

What Chicago needs is more gun laws they say.

ibx

I know this not the perfect solution, but it's better than locking them up.

so lock em up in school instead?

Preferable, but only if the family approves. And Cosby wasn't wrong in pointing out that for many, they don't. Just consider the promotion of Ebonics a decade ago.

Boomerdog

Almost all the violence is confined to 2 small neighborhoods (Lawndale and Englewood) that are run by the street gangs.

Soo...might you be implying that since the violence is confined to 2 small neighborhoods that are run by the street gangs, it's palatable to understand the violence or maybe accept it? That is sheer equivocation. Sorry, not buying your argument.

I simply stated a fact. That doesn't in any way imply acceptance.

I live in Chicago and you don't, so maybe what you "buy" is irrelevant.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Preferable, but only if the family approves. And Cosby wasn't wrong in pointing out that for many, they don't. Just consider the promotion of Ebonics a decade ago.

I just saw an interesting bit about Ebonics yesterday by Steven Pinker. Do you think Ebonics is a less valid accent/dialect than say welsh, scottish or the other varieties of english pidgin?

Yeah - it's better than prison - also I disagree with the fact that parents should agree. School should be mandatory.
A 16 old girl named Shaniqa from Compton is just as unfit to guarantee a good future for her children as McKayley-Lee from rural Kansas, or Jaquelin-Chantall from Neu Cologne in Berlin. I think the state/government has the obligation to ensure equal opportunity and must make sure all children have access to a competitive education. Everything else leads to segregated social classes.

...and I'm glad I don't live in Chicago and I hope I never do live in Chicago.

What I "buy" is not a matter of relevance...just don't be bitching and moaning when the bullets break containment and start flying your way...which I truly hope they don't.

Then is it possible you believe in the soft bigotry of low expecations or just because it's contained in two communities it's OK? It's NOT OK if you live there. Quite frankly I don't give a rat's rear end if the gangbangers want to kill each other. The problem is innocent people are being caught up, shot and killed in this free fire zone these scumbags claim as "turf" and I'll bet a Grant that "Chicago's Finest" are scared down to their ankles to go in there and clean the place out.

It's what I took from the post. It's what I have taken from policy over the last 30 years.

Well...there is at least one more voice out there crying in the wilderness who gets it.

It's reason to pause to count my blessings and say thank you!

ibx

I just saw an interesting bit about Ebonics yesterday by Steven Pinker. Do you think Ebonics is a less valid accent/dialect than say welsh, scottish or the other varieties of english pidgin?

Validity seems like a loaded word. But put simply - if you want to cripple your kid's ability to earn a living, encouraging them to speak a low brow form of English is a great start. Telling them that education is a waste of time is another. America is full of examples where parents put their kids in the direction to step up, and it's also full of examples where parent(s) make it very difficult.

Yeah - it's better than prison - also I disagree with the fact that parents should agree. School should be mandatory.

I would agree - when you see high school grad rates under 50% in poor areas, how will they ever improve the status quo? But if the parents keep telling them it's nonsense and the system won't let them make it, mandating their attendance won't result in effective education.

Boomerdog

...and I'm glad I don't live in Chicago and I hope I never do live in Chicago.

So do I.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Validity seems like a loaded word. But put simply - if you want to cripple your kid's ability to earn a living, encouraging them to speak a low brow form of English is a great start. Telling them that education is a waste of time is another. America is full of examples where parents put their kids in the direction to step up, and it's also full of examples where parent(s) make it very difficult.

I agree with this. Though it may be wrong, speaking Ebonics will probably be detrimental in finding a good job since it conveys poor education.

I would agree - when you see high school grad rates under 50% in poor areas, how will they ever improve the status quo? But if the parents keep telling them it's nonsense and the system won't let them make it, mandating their attendance won't result in effective education.

I think mandating attendance will do exactly that, you may not catch everybody but you will at least give everybody an equal opportunity which is denied to a lot of people simply due to the neighborhood where they happen to be born.

I grew up in a country where school attendance was mandatory. Not only that, if you didn't get a passing grade for all subjects, you had to do the year over.

I certainly prefer that education system over what is in place in North America. Now, it was for all intents and purposes fully socialized and paid for by the government....so will likely never fly in North America.