Skyrad

Junk food banned for sale across the USA as of 1st July

lawrocket

Remember a couple of years ago when a Chicago school banned bagged lunches from home because the school administrators wanted the increased revenue and grants that school lunches brought knew that the parents were sending unhealthy lunches?

Then the kids can get the pink slime burgers, fries and tater tots.

There just isn't much a parent can do when their supervision of a kid is interrupted.

I wasn't aware of that happening in Chiraq, but I'm not surprised. Rampant corruption & a school system that's only barely functional.

I've been saying the same thing about parents not being able to stand there & watch what their kids are eating at school.

GeorgiaDon

If you want to give us specific details of how you engage in the upbringing of children for whom you're personally responsible, by all means please do so.

Well, first he finds a warm sandy beach to bury the eggs. It is a shame so many of the little babies get eaten by gulls and racoons and such when they hatch out...

Don

:P:P:P...

CornishChris

it was 5 meals out of 35.

I think the problem here is the 35 meals a week...

3 a day = 21.

What are the other 2 meals a day? 2nd dinner? 3rd breakfast? Are they hobbits?

They look like them . . . :)

I was including snacks - but OK -

Expand it this way -

1092 meals assuming 3 per day (no snacks)

School is "responsible" for 1 per day for 9 months . . .
196 meals - MAYBE

so . . . where is the parental responsibility?

When did we let the government take over so much of our lives?

WHY did we?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

PiLFy

"When do the parents get to be held responsible?"

OK. An example for you, then. Last week, I had a pediatric patient. A 6yoa Boy who was already obese, having health issues from it, & is on course to have life-long issues from it. The Boy's mother was a 450# freak, w/a major chip on her shoulder. I don't think that bitch would listen to baseball bat therapy... So, do we literally beat the 450# freak to death for being an idiot? That'd hold his idiot mother accounatable for the damage she's done. The little Boy would be better off, true. Don't think that approach would fly, though.

Bottom line: a lot of people shouldn't breed, but they do. I'm guessing you wouldn't support forced sterilizations. So, how is this small, positive step a bad thing? Do you agree that the Govt. helped create the mess by letting their fast food buddies hyjack the public school food systems?

SO . . . someone needs to sue her. Charge her with neglect and child endangerment. Set a precedence.

Then the government doesn't have to over regulate every one else because of the few that can't handle life.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Andy9o8

My "Animus" is for parents not taking their job seriously.

You know, Clint, not every topic can credibly be spun directly off into a canned rant of talking points about liberals, the nanny state, personal responsibility and "kids these days". It also seems that 9 out of 10 of the ranters I see on here who bitch the loudest about poor parenting have never actually had the experience of walking the parenting walk themselves. Personal experiences can be instructive comparators. If you want to give us specific details of how you engage in the upbringing of children for whom you're personally responsible, by all means please do so.

Mine have graduated and are off being productive members of society.

Managerial for #1 and Medical #2

Iago

***All of which is quite obvious. Where do you stand on the (still, barely) debate?

You mean this?

According to the proposed ban, schools across the country will only be allowed to sell healthy foods such as fruit, dairy products, whole-grain foods, lean protein products and vegetables.

Only whole-grain foods? Really? No white bread? No white pasta with ground beef meat sauce?

Lean protein-products only? Really? No pre-made frozen chicken patties (for the 'chicken parm' made with the white pasta?) No burgers?

Someone has to pay for it and I'm guessing their name is 'someone else.'

Obamacare will have such a surplus that it will have no problem covering that bill.:|

Iago

According to the proposed ban, schools across the country will only be allowed to sell healthy foods such as fruit, dairy products, whole-grain foods, lean protein products and vegetables.

Only whole-grain foods? Really? No white bread? No white pasta with ground beef meat sauce?

White bread is pretty much trash food - no loss there. Unclear that pasta would be affected or not. Also unclear is the definition of lean protein, other than not that 30% fat ground beef from 1000 different cows.

Someone has to pay for it and I'm guessing their name is 'someone else.'

Guess again :P. Their names would be US. I think you're off on some of your food theatrics. It can be done better than the crap food situation, now. Agreed? Once the national fast food corporations sewed up all the contracts. I'm sure the prices started migrating northward... It might not cost all that much more than we're paying to keep worsening the obesity problem.

turtlespeed

***"When do the parents get to be held responsible?"

OK. An example for you, then. Last week, I had a pediatric patient. A 6yoa Boy who was already obese, having health issues from it, & is on course to have life-long issues from it. The Boy's mother was a 450# freak, w/a major chip on her shoulder. I don't think that bitch would listen to baseball bat therapy... So, do we literally beat the 450# freak to death for being an idiot? That'd hold his idiot mother accounatable for the damage she's done. The little Boy would be better off, true. Don't think that approach would fly, though.

Bottom line: a lot of people shouldn't breed, but they do. I'm guessing you wouldn't support forced sterilizations. So, how is this small, positive step a bad thing? Do you agree that the Govt. helped create the mess by letting their fast food buddies hyjack the public school food systems?

SO . . . someone needs to sue her. Charge her with neglect and child endangerment. Set a precedence.

Then the government doesn't have to over regulate every one else because of the few that can't handle life.

That's an utterly unrealistic, BS reply. Never mind, Turtle. I think that shell has invaded your brain.

PiLFy

******"When do the parents get to be held responsible?"

That's an utterly unrealistic, BS reply. Never mind, Turtle. I think that shell has invaded your brain.

You like being over regulated because of other people's faults?

One thing that troubles me with this whole junk food ban is that the USDA decided to act without "testing the waters." Seeing the arguments in this thread should be testament to the fact that this will have complicated effects that perhaps the USDA does not yet recognize.

How hard would it be to implement this at several schools first to assess the benefit or lack thereof before performing a nationwide implementation? I think the USDA is jumping the gun and while I believe in their limit on transfat and refined sugar content, I don't believe in their caloric restriction.

There are kids who are more active and need more than just 200 calorie staples in a meal. I'm also worried that the lack of food availability will have a backward effect with kids binge-eating snacks after school due to the lack of food availability at school. I don't have kids, so I'm not entitled to speak about the behavior of a child at home, but I think if eating behavior were modified rather than food availability, this program would be more effective. Again I have no idea of the feasibility of that idea because I'm not a parent..
"I would rather be ashes than dust. I would rather be a majestic eagle riding a missile across the sky with sparklers than be an old couch potato." - Jack London (paraphrased)