shropshire

"We the people .... " has never been true and never will be...

wmw999

You're looking through a "they're attacking me" glass, when instead you should be looking through a beer glass.

You think they're a couple of Alcoholics, too :P?

If nothing else, why does it matter? If they're trolling, don't respond."

You have a point, there.

If you take the DOI and Constitution as sacred, then you fail to consider the as the FF's probably intended. After all, there was a lot of discussion then, too.

Many of the problems in this country stem from monied POS interests amending The Constitution. I subscribe to the view that we need to go back to what worked. IMHO, you need to revere those documents more.

Wendy P.

The Constitution is a modifiable framework that people thought about, and decided to use to build a country. It's a social experiment.

They had a number and uniformity of people and society that made it possible; I'm not sure it would be any more. Not to mention that whole internet thing making it possible for any idiot to opine about anything.

I respect it, but to turn it into an icon robs it of relevance, and turns it into a religion.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"We the people .... " has never been true and never will be...

True. If only that a direct democracy, one where everything was a referendum would be an unmanagable mess. Nothing would or could get done due to the process itself.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

baronn

Simple. This has changed from "We the people..." To
"By, for and of the Corporation of America..."

Thanks ..

But isn't it always inevitable that the larger (or certainly Stronger) group takes the power and "the People" .. (even if thrown the 'Democratic' bone to chew on) are actually just pawns with little or no real say?

Has there ever been a True Democracy - can there ever be?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

RobertMBlevins

jakee says in part:

'Britain simply has too much history for us to get worked up about every country or colony we've ever fallen out with. America? Don't care...'

That is self-deception at its finest. America is Britain's strongest ally, and has been for a long time. Yes, Britain has a long and distinguished history spanning centuries more than America. But Americans have stood side by side with Brits in every major conflict in both the 20th and 21st centuries. Hey, maybe we could have had such a history, but it took people a while to even FIND America and put it on maps. And after they did, as Bill Murray once said in the film Stripes, it was only populated because our ancestors got kicked out of every decent country in Europe.

Baby, we're there for you in a heartbeat. We have been since the War of 1812 ended and we always will be. In fact, it will be two hundred years this Christmas Eve (signing of Treaty of Ghent) that Britain and America have really been allies. That's the benchmark I like to use. We should get together and celebrate. :)

Well, apart from funding and arming the IRA, that is.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

PiLFy

I beg to differ. Britain was less than two weeks shy of being starved out by U-Boats during WW1, at one point. Without strong American support, they also would never have made it through WW2.

The US contribution to breaking the 1917 U-Boat blockade was insignificant. The main US Navy contribution was assisting the allied blockade of Germany, not dealing with U-Boats.

You should read some real history instead of believing the Hollywood movie version. I bet you still believe that U-571 is a documentary.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***I beg to differ. Britain was less than two weeks shy of being starved out by U-Boats during WW1, at one point. Without strong American support, they also would never have made it through WW2.

The US contribution to breaking the 1917 U-Boat blockade was insignificant. The main US Navy contribution was assisting the allied blockade of Germany, not dealing with U-Boats.

You should read some real history instead of believing the Hollywood movie version. I bet you still believe that U-571 is a documentary.

I have read a fair amount of books on the history, from both sides of the conflicts. I disagree w/your opinion.

Don't be silly. Mat McConaughey is far too young to have served in WW2...

That is self-deception at its finest.

Only if you deceive yourself into ignoring the context.

I was, as I made abundantly clear, talking about the American Revolution, which we don't care about and do not hold any form of grudge over. The rest of your post simply reinforces my point.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?