rickjump1

School Superintendent Rakes in $660k Salary; Watch These Outraged Parents Let Him Have It

baronn

They need to physically throw that bum not only out of office but, out of the house they are funding. Criminal doesnt even begin to describe this. Who approved that salary? They need to go too!

Well, the article is so poorly written that it doesn't even mention the name of the school district.

However, one might reasonably presume that a locally elected school board made the decision.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Wow, that's nearly more than the football coach at some state universities.

That would be about the basement going rate for a BCS level college football coach. There are offensive coordinators making more than that! :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

That would be about the basement going rate for a BCS level college football coach. There are offensive coordinators making more than that! :S

But the thing you have to realize is that... college football at the highest level brings in millions and millions of dollars in revenue, and if the coach earns like 2 or 3% of that revenue in salary, like Saban at Alabama, then that's still a helluva bargain.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

But the thing you have to realize is that... college football at the highest level brings in millions and millions of dollars in revenue, and if the coach earns like 2 or 3% of that revenue in salary, like Saban at Alabama, then that's still a helluva bargain.

Can you name any corporation where the head of marketing makes more than the CEO (excluding the anomalies where, for political reasons, the CEO takes a $1 salary)?

one might reasonably presume that a locally elected school board made the decision.

Exactly; this is why I think that directing the outrage at the Super is mostly misplaced. All he did was apply for the job and accept the offer. Now, if he under-performs, ok, by all means take him to task for that. But he didn't make the final decision on his salary, the school board did.

ryoder

In the comment section:

"Why did CBS leave out the additional compensation that they gave this guy, as they mentioned in the earlier article. The fact that along with his nearly $700,000 package they also floated him a $900,000 loan at 2% interest over 40 years. Yes, 900,000! There needs to be a full fledge investigation on this one. Who slept with who to get this peach of a deal?"

"One aspect not mentioned in the article. I'll bet dollars to donuts that the majority of the school board was elected primarily with (indirect but legal) education labor union financing. CTA and other education unions are the only ones who spend big money on these low level school board campaigns. Working class school districts such as Lawndale are owned and operated by the education unions."

"Great theater when the Liberals are turning on their own..."
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Andy9o8

one might reasonably presume that a locally elected school board made the decision.

Exactly; this is why I think that directing the outrage at the Super is mostly misplaced. All he did was apply for the job and accept the offer. Now, if he under-performs, ok, by all means take him to task for that. But he didn't make the final decision on his salary, the school board did.

BS - that offer didn't come out of thin air - he negotiated for it, and that home loan package. I'd place more anger at those on the other side of the table, but no free pass for him either.

Unfortunately, that contract will be binding, but the entire board can and should be replaced. 700k for a 3 high school district, without even the K-8s - there's no justification.

And let's cease with the red herring about football coaches, who get the bulk of their salary paid for by boosters. (We've gone over this more than enough times that's you all are outright lying about it now) It's no different than the Professors that do their consulting businesses on the side, making far more money than the lead administrators. I don't imagine that Kallend got his plane purely on his university salary.

kelpdiver

BS - that offer didn't come out of thin air - he negotiated for it, and that home loan package. I'd place more anger at those on the other side of the table, but no free pass for him either. .

Sigh. Don't you think I understood that when I wrote my post? Of course he negotiated for it. But at the end of the day, it was the the school board's decision to either accept his bid and hire him, or reject his bid and hire someone else for less compensation. I stand by my post.

Andy9o8

[
Sigh. Don't you think I understood that when I wrote my post?

"All he did was apply for the job and accept the offer."

Greatly understates his involvement, and really suggest that he did not negotiate. So, no, it either looked like you didn't understand that, or are actively being defensive about it for some reason.

Another sign you might be pretty far to the right:

You vehemently defend the rich and their high salaries, and their right to enjoy the fruits of their labors - unless they're teachers or school officials, then it's an outrage.

kelpdiver

***[
Sigh. Don't you think I understood that when I wrote my post?

"All he did was apply for the job and accept the offer."

Greatly understates his involvement, and really suggest that he did not negotiate. So, no, it either looked like you didn't understand that, or are actively being defensive about it for some reason.

Nah, now you're just spinning-up what I said.

Look, if you can show me that the fix was in, I'll be much more open-minded to the OP's point.

Andy9o8

Nah, now you're just spinning-up what I said.

there's really no way, or need to spin when you say absolutes like:
""All he did was apply for the job and accept the offer."

I mean, you immediate reply saying, yeah, he did more than just that, so you don't seem to disagree with me, you're just taking offense to being corrected.

billvon

Another sign you might be pretty far to the right:

You vehemently defend the rich and their high salaries, and their right to enjoy the fruits of their labors - unless they're teachers or school officials, then it's an outrage.

Do I detect a little wealth envy here? Teachers or school officials are on the taxpayers dime and in the public trust. Your boy betrayed that trust. Imagine, one of his teachers he was supposed to watch over had to pay for her school supplies (paper) out of her own pocket. With all this financial and leadership "experience", he would be a prime candidate for California politics.

baronn

They need to physically throw that bum not only out of office but, out of the house they are funding. Criminal doesnt even begin to describe this. Who approved that salary? They need to go too!

No wonder property taxes are so high in California.

rickjump1

***Another sign you might be pretty far to the right:

Do I detect a little wealth envy here? Teachers or school officials are on the taxpayers dime and in the public trust. Your boy betrayed that trust.

1. Why does it matter whose dime it is? Why do you hate public school teachers, firemen, police officers, and others whose salaries come from taxes?

2. How is this guy billvon's "boy"?

3. Explain how he betrayed anyone's trust by accepting a job offer made, as far as we know, perfectly legally.

rickjump1

***They need to physically throw that bum not only out of office but, out of the house they are funding. Criminal doesnt even begin to describe this. Who approved that salary? They need to go too!

No wonder property taxes are so high in California.

property taxes really are not high in California. Housing values are, but our rates are half to a quarter what other states charge, and with no limits on increases.

Also, it was decades back that property taxes directly funded the local schools. That lead to great inequities, shockingly, so now it all flows to Sacramento who pays out an amount per student per day attended.

kallend

Can you name any corporation where the head of marketing makes more than the CEO (excluding the anomalies where, for political reasons, the CEO takes a $1 salary)?

Not any CEO that I know of, but... the governor of Alabama is serving without a salary. He said he would not accept a governor's salary until some economic markers reached a certain point. I forgot what it was though, but he's a medical doctor by trade so he's not suffering financially.

My challenge to you. Find another governor doing the same thing.

1."Why does it matter whose dime it is? Why do you hate public school teachers, firemen, police officers, and others whose salaries come from taxes?"
Why don't you ask the taxpayers who were kept in the dark concerning the school administrator's extravagant salary and no doubt secret loan. Most private schools have budgets. Public school teachers, firemen, and police officers are our first "line of defense". That's where the money should go; not to some top heavy school district. Typically, school administrators do not put their lives on the line as the police and firefighters. Why do I hate them? I hate everybody. Right?

2. "How is this guy billvon's "boy"? Haven't you heard? Liberals stick together through thick and thin no matter the consequences to the public.

3. "Explain how he betrayed anyone's trust by accepting a job offer made, as far as we know, perfectly legally."

You left out the $900,000 personal loan for 2%? Just where did that money come from? Probably from the teacher's retirement fund. Professor, from what I got out of this, Mr. School Administrator's salary was never brought to the public's attention until lately. Want to know how much the teachers, firemen, and police make? It's no doubt in the public record and available to the citizenry.

This stinks, and it's no surprise to find you defending Mr. School Administration. Liberals stick together once again.