Iago

Knife attack in China- 29 dead

SkyDekker

Maybe it's because there are just far less of you than us?

Maybe, but when you look at a ratio per 100, you find out that isn't the case.

What might be interesting to look at (and I very briefly googled but came up short) would be a comparison of population vs. population density for different countries. (i.e. percentage of people in the country that live in an area with population density of 500-999 ppl/sq km, 1000-1499 ppl/sq km, etc.) Obviously it's going to be positively correlated, but it would give you an idea as to the degree of "clumping" that was going on.

kallend

Well, taking back DC in 1814 was clearly a mistake. Should have let them keep it.

the whole reason we gained independence from the fogbreathers back in the 1700s is because they only meant to lose New Jersey and got carried away
cavete terrae.

SkyDekker

You expect him to be able to perform DIVISION? Get real.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

champu

What might be interesting to look at (and I very briefly googled but came up short) would be a comparison of population vs. population density for different countries. (i.e. percentage of people in the country that live in an area with population density of 500-999 ppl/sq km, 1000-1499 ppl/sq km, etc.) Obviously it's going to be positively correlated, but it would give you an idea as to the degree of "clumping" that was going on.

You could. Look at Toronto and compare with New York, LA, Chicago, Detroit.

You can't just look at a handful of big cities to get a picture of overall density across the country. I'm talking about a bar chart where you, say, normalize the population of the countries to 100,000,000 or whatever, make each bar a bin of population density, and the y-axis log10 of the number of normalized people living in an area with that density.

That would give you a very good picture of how spread out people were in a given country and how clumped up people get when they do clump up.

champu

You can't just look at a handful of big cities to get a picture of overall density across the country. I'm talking about a bar chart where you, say, normalize the population of the countries to 100,000,000 or whatever, make each bar a bin of population density, and the y-axis log10 of the number of normalized people living in an area with that density.

That would give you a very good picture of how spread out people were in a given country and how clumped up people get when they do clump up.

A measure we use in crystallography to determine "clumpiness" of crystal orientations is the (normalized) standard deviation from uniformity.

(I take credit for introducing this in 1970)

kallend

***You can't just look at a handful of big cities to get a picture of overall density across the country. I'm talking about a bar chart where you, say, normalize the population of the countries to 100,000,000 or whatever, make each bar a bin of population density, and the y-axis log10 of the number of normalized people living in an area with that density.

A measure we use in crystallography to determine "clumpiness" of crystal orientations is the (normalized) standard deviation from uniformity.

Similar idea. With population density in a country I would be interested to see all the bins though.

champu

******You can't just look at a handful of big cities to get a picture of overall density across the country. I'm talking about a bar chart where you, say, normalize the population of the countries to 100,000,000 or whatever, make each bar a bin of population density, and the y-axis log10 of the number of normalized people living in an area with that density.

Similar idea. With population density in a country I would be interested to see all the bins though.

How does the low population density in the Northwest Territories affect the crime rate in densly populated Toronto?

Specially when comparing it to other extremely large cities. Toronto is the 5th largest metropolitan area in North America. Crime rate comparisons with other large cities would be valid.

SkyDekker

How does the low population density in the Northwest Territories affect the crime rate in densly populated Toronto?

Why are you stuck on comparing a handful of cities?

SkyDekker

Specially when comparing it to other extremely large cities. Toronto is the 5th largest metropolitan area in North America. Crime rate comparisons with other large cities would be valid.

And Redondo Beach has a similar population density to Toronto, but comparing crime statistics between those two cities doesn't get you any closer to understanding differences in homicide rates or firearm homicide rates between the United States and Canada.

kallend

***You can't just look at a handful of big cities to get a picture of overall density across the country. I'm talking about a bar chart where you, say, normalize the population of the countries to 100,000,000 or whatever, make each bar a bin of population density, and the y-axis log10 of the number of normalized people living in an area with that density.

Thats hot;)

I am not. Just asking a question.

And Redondo Beach has a similar population density to Toronto,

That's why I suggested comparing cities of similar size (and population desnity, though Toronto is significantly more densly populated than LA for instance)

But, guess you would prefer to cherry pick to make things work for you.

Iago

***And Redondo Beach has a similar population density to Toronto,

That's why I suggested comparing cities of similar size (and population desnity, though Toronto is significantly more densly populated than LA for instance)

The US and Canada also report different types and levels of crimes in the various categories. It's like comparing a white seedless grape to a dark blue squeeze grape.

You are right, we tend to classify murder as shoplifting.

So basically we don't know if the US is more violent than Canada. We also don't know if more people (per 100) get shot and killed in which country.

But, we do know that guns have nothing to do with it.

SkyDekker

***And Redondo Beach has a similar population density to Toronto,

The US and Canada also report different types and levels of crimes in the various categories. It's like comparing a white seedless grape to a dark blue squeeze grape.

You are right, we tend to classify murder as shoplifting.

" true, from a certain point of view"; Obi-wan Kenobi

"Very similar in most respects"; C3PO

SkyDekker

...he said... ...in response to the first 25% of a sentence that went on to explain that comparisons of only a couple cities would not accurately give you a good comparison of two countries...

...sigh...

champu

***But, guess you would prefer to cherry pick to make things work for you.

...he said... ...in response to the first 25% of a sentence that went on to explain that comparisons of only a couple cities would not accurately give you a good comparison of two countries...

...sigh...

After the issue was raised regarding population density. At which point I suggested we compare densly populated cities in the countries in question.

With firearm homicide rates lower in densely populated Canadian cities than in densely populated American cities, that doesn't appear to give you the answer you are looking for.

In response to that you brought up that Redondo Beach is just as densely populated as Toronto, therefor looking at population density alone would not work.

SkyDekker

With firearm homicide rates lower in densely populated Canadian cities than in densely populated American cities, that doesn't appear to give you the answer you are looking for.

Would you please stop arguing against what you imagine is an answer I am looking for?

There are too many confounding problems with comparing cities head to head. I said it "might be interesting" to compare countries head to head while having a way to account for the fact that they have different overall populations, areas, number of cities, densities of cities, etc. while still aggregating over the whole country.