brenthutch

An idea for electric vehicles (real idea, I'm not ball busting)

I honestly don't see it any different than when I have to go to the gas station after only 430 miles verses after my usual 460 miles between fill-ups. I don't get mad and bitch about the poor gas that I received - but maybe others do. But probably the more reasonable reason is the type of driving I did which caused the fewer miles between fill-ups. In a nutshell, I don't expect to get a consistent 458.3 miles from by tank of gas. So I don't see why a battery would be any different.

CygnusX-1

I honestly don't see it any different than when I have to go to the gas station after only 430 miles verses after my usual 460 miles between fill-ups. I don't get mad and bitch about the poor gas that I received - but maybe others do. But probably the more reasonable reason is the type of driving I did which caused the fewer miles between fill-ups. In a nutshell, I don't expect to get a consistent 458.3 miles from by tank of gas. So I don't see why a battery would be any different.

the variation in gas tank endurance is smaller and more predictable. If you are driving more aggressively, or you filled it up on a hot day, you'll get less mileage, but this is fairly clear when you get down to the quarter tank mark. 30 miles lost is only a 6.5% difference. And I know that when the warning light comes on, I'm good for about 40 more.

But batteries don't have such a clear way to measure remaining store. They run at nearly full and then abruptly drop off. My 2 year old iphone may read 18%, but if I try to take a picture using the flash, it will often just shut down. A bad battery pack may only give you 80%, which in your 460 mile context, means 368 miles.