jclalor

Satanists seek spot next to Ten Commandments monument on steps of Oklahoma's Statehouse

DanG

In case you are really interested, The American Standard Bible is/was considered the most accurate translation.

By whom?

I was told by a theologian 25 or so years ago that ASB was the most accurate, word for word. It does appear that has changed. The New World Translation is now considered the most accurate by some. Also, one reference I checked gave the honor to the New American Standard.

I study most often from the NAS and the NKJV. Which translation do you prefer?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Darius11

It is the Holy Spirit inspired Word of God. That is the correct way of referring to the Holy Bible.

Curious as to what you mean by this.
I thought it was common knowledge that the bible was written many years later and not by Jesus himself.
How did the Holy Spirit write or help write it?
I am not asking for physical evidence just the story.

The concept comes from the understanding that God breathed His word to the authors of the 66 books. The Greek word pneuma is used in the New Testament for spirit or air. The following are two references of interest.

http://carm.org/bible-inspired

http://www.christianministriesintl.org/articles/Bible-the-Inspired-Word-of-God.php
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Which translation do you prefer?

I don't care. All of the translations are just that, translations. Maybe some are better than others, I'm not a linguist. It does annoy me, however, when someone grabs onto a specific English word or turn of phrase and base their argument for what is right and wrong on the English meaning.

I also don't believe in God, so the words in the Bible don't have any mystical power over me. I think Jesus's teachings can have great value, but I'm constantly dismayed that many of the people who profess the strongest love for him seem to be the worst at following his advice.

- Dan G

RonD1120

In case you are really interested, The American Standard Bible is/was considered the most accurate translation. It is also the most difficult to read.

It is the Holy Spirit inspired Word of God. That is the correct way of referring to the Holy Bible.

It's a book of lies. Twain said so. I prefer the teaching of Twain. Much better reading.

It is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
- Letters from the Earth

Wrote Twain:

About once a year some pious public library banishes Huck Finn from its children’s department, and on the same plea always – that Huck, the neglected and untaught son of a town drunkard, is given to lying, when in difficulty and hard pressed, and is therefore a bad example for young people, and a damager of their morals.

Two or three years ago I was near by when one of these banishments was decreed and advertised, and I went over and asked the librarian about it, and he said yes, Huck was banished for lying. I asked,

Is there nothing else against him?’

No, I think not’.

Do you banish all books that are likely to defile young morals, or do you stop with Huck?’

We do not discriminate; we banish all that are hurtful to young morals’.

I picked up a book, and said:

I see several copies of this book lying around. Are the young forbidden to read it?

The Bible? Of course not’.

Why not?

That is a strange question to ask’.

Very well, then I withdraw it. Are you acquainted with the passages in Huck which are held to be objectionable?’

He said he was; and at my request he took pen and paper and proceeded to write them down for me. Meantime I stepped to a desk and wrote down some extracts from the Bible. I showed them to him and said I would take it as a favor if he would attach his extracts to mine and post them on the wall, so that the people could examine them and see which of the two sets they would prefer to have their young boys and girls read.

He replied coldly that he was willing to post the extracts which he had made, but not those which I had made.

Why?’

He replied – still coldly – that he did not wish to discuss the matter’.

God's inhumanity to man makes countless thousands mourn.

Satan hasn't a single salaried helper; the Opposition employ a million.

If Christ were here there is one thing he would not be -- a Christian.

... the swindle of life and the treachery of a God that can create disease and misery and crime -- create things that men would be condemned for creating-- that men would be ashamed to create.

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."

"Our Bible reveals to us the character of our god with minute and remorseless exactness... It is perhaps the most damnatory biography that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light and leading by contrast"

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I thought not, but wanted to ask before making assumptions.

I ask because if you speak multiple languages you know that literal translations, or even attempted "meaning" translations between languages just don't work a lot of the time.

So, whenever anyone uses translated text as some sort of absolute, I'm skeptical.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

ianmdrennan

I thought not, but wanted to ask before making assumptions.

I ask because if you speak multiple languages you know that literal translations, or even attempted "meaning" translations between languages just don't work a lot of the time.

So, whenever anyone uses translated text as some sort of absolute, I'm skeptical.

Ian

For Scriptural definitions I refer to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible.

the atheists got the same in Florida, in Starkey in front of the courthouse. It was wrong to have ANY religious reference there in the first place, and now it turns into a debacle. I hope the flying spaghetti folks get theirs as well.

The quicker we turn it into the farce that it really is, the better for all of us. Keep the religious crap out of govt always.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/atheists-unveil-monument-by-ten-commandments-in-front-of-courthouse/-/475880/20775114/-/2xce5tz/-/index.html

jclalor

For Scriptural definitions I refer to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."

-Susan B Anthony-

Apparently, Ms. Anthony felt justified in judging others. Of course, being a radical many others were judging her as well.

ianmdrennan

Yes but that's in English. My point is that you cannot interpret some things into English without drastically or worse, subtly, changing their meaning.

I'm not following you. Strong's Concordance translates each word of the Bible from English to Hebrew or Greek in context of its use.

There are differences in connotation, and in how different languages express things.

Reading a book in the original language, and in translation, are two different things in some ways. Just consider that there are more than one translation of many books (not just the Bible). If you're reading for the facts, you'll get the vast majority. But if you're parsing the language and connotations, you'll miss a lot.

Just consider, if nothing else, how much poetry changes from language to language. It's not just about the meter and rhyme, it's about what's evoked.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

A couple of examples that might be difficult to translate from English, if you didn't have current regional language knowledge:

Bless his heart
She ain't right

And that's without adding the factors of translations happening a long time after events, along with reverence for the topic (and therefore a smaller likelihood of translating something that took the low road in the original).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)