ryoder

Armed citizens stopping mass shootings - Who to believe?

SkyDekker

Now, this is according to the Daily Mail. Do you normally believe everything they report? If not, do you have any other sources?

Did he stop the mass shooting?

He got about a hundred innocent people in over 10 sortees into the mall, out the mall alive who may not have gotten out unscathed otherwise.

If we're supposing, I'm thinking (and this is ONLY my supposition) that saving the lives of the hostages inside was a lower priority to the kenyan military that went in then getting the bad guys. so this guy getting 100 people out before the big show may have had a huge impact on their lives.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

SkyDekker

The 'average' concealed carrier in the states quite possibly also has or had military or police training. Many on here like to say the 'average' holder is a bum who got his licence out of a crackerjack box (I'm being facetious here).

The truth is probably in the middle.

***But while your average gangbanger probably doesn't have much training, he also probably doesn't have a permit, because he has his gun 'illegally'. So forcing in new laws for concealed carry won't effect your average gangbanger...

No law is going to stop your average gangbanger. If you are creating laws for gangbangers, you are indeed looking at things the wrong way.

Since most if not all politicians are indeed not making laws for gangbangers, it is also a bit of a strawman.

Lawmakers are trying to limit the rights of law-abiding citizens. That is not right when it is generally law-breakers who are at fault. There are laws on the books to stop felons from applying to buy guns - but very few get prosecuted even when caught. Prosecuting these people and having minimum sentences when convicted would make far more sense than making new laws to disallow law-abiding citizens from buying guns.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

SkyDekker

The 'average' concealed carrier in the states quite possibly also has or had military or police training. Many on here like to say the 'average' holder is a bum who got his licence out of a crackerjack box (I'm being facetious here).

Fair enough.

In my experience, with people who have a CHL, there are a variety of reasons they got it in the first place. The ones who got it so that they could carry a firearm for self defense, are the ones who are more likely to actually carry their weapon on a daily basis. They are also the ones who are more likely to seek advanced training in the use of their weapon.

I don't know where in the spectrum between advanced tactical super-proficient and bum with a CHL the "average" person lies. But if you're talking about someone who carries their weapon on a daily basis, It's a good bet that the data point in question is closer to the proficient than it is the bum.
--
Rob

skypuppy

***But while your average gangbanger probably doesn't have much training, he also probably doesn't have a permit, because he has his gun 'illegally'. So forcing in new laws for concealed carry won't effect your average gangbanger...

No law is going to stop your average gangbanger. If you are creating laws for gangbangers, you are indeed looking at things the wrong way.

Since most if not all politicians are indeed not making laws for gangbangers, it is also a bit of a strawman.

Lawmakers are trying to limit the rights of law-abiding citizens. That is not right when it is generally law-breakers who are at fault. There are laws on the books to stop felons from applying to buy guns - but very few get prosecuted even when caught. Prosecuting these people and having minimum sentences when convicted would make far more sense than making new laws to disallow law-abiding citizens from buying guns.

And how do you propose Lawmakers do that?

DaVinci

Someone with a gun but without that training might potentially do more harm than good, especially if they are a little bit gung ho about "taking out" the terrorists

And yet you can't find many if any examples of a citizen making things worse.......

I can certainly find examples of armed police making things worse.

And we have examples of armed civilians shooting people they thought were intruders, but in fact were just visitors or even family members.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Did he stop the mass shooting?

According to the report, he saved 100 lives.

This would imply that you know exactly what happened and therefor it is a good example to use.

Why, you have the same info and already have the expert opinion that it is not a good example.

I am using the same source, in your opinion it is invalid. You claiming I don't have enough information to have a contrary opinion is hypocritical.... Especially when the whole report seems to agree with my opinion.

kallend

Someone with a gun but without that training might potentially do more harm than good, especially if they are a little bit gung ho about "taking out" the terrorists

And yet you can't find many if any examples of a citizen making things worse.......

Police != armed citizens. Police HAVE to intervene... Civilians do not. A swing and a miss

And how do you propose Lawmakers do that?

Look at one of the people arrested in the Chicago shooting. He was a Felon (1) and was arrested for another felony (2) while carrying and using a gun (3 & 4) in a city that had no concealed weapons law (5).

For being a felon and getting caught using a firearm after being a felon... He was sent to a 'boot camp'. Why was this repeat offender ever let out into society again?

A violent criminal should never be in a free society. If a violent criminal is caught with a firearm or committing another violent crime, they should never see the light of day again.

This would be going after the criminal and leaving honest citizens alone.

As for mental health issues, if the person has serious mental health issues, they should not be allowed to own a firearm. Put their name on a list of prohibited persons. This also leaves the 99.9% of honest citizens alone.

For being a felon and getting caught using a firearm after being a felon... He was sent to a 'boot camp'. Why was this repeat offender ever let out into society again?

A violent criminal should never be in a free society. If a violent criminal is caught with a firearm or committing another violent crime, they should never see the light of day again.

Lawmakers don't arrest and prosecute.

The second part of your post would have them making more laws, which is something you don't want them to do.

Lawmakers don't arrest and prosecute.

You avoided the question.

The second part of your post would have them making more laws, which is something you don't want them to do.

It is already illegal for a FELON to own a firearm. The sentencing laws area already in place. No new laws would be needed.

BUT you are also trying to put words into my mouth. I never said I didn't want new laws. I said I think we should focus on the criminals and not the honest.

So you are both incorrect and presumptuous.

DaVinci

Police != armed citizens. Police HAVE to intervene... Civilians do not. A swing and a miss

Funny how you snipped this sentence:

"And we have examples of armed civilians shooting people they thought were intruders, but in fact were just visitors or even family members."

DaVinci

It is already illegal for a FELON to own a firearm. The sentencing laws area already in place. No new laws would be needed.

Indeed, but no effective process in place to enforce it. Courtesy of the gun lobby, which emasculates any and every effort to establish an effective process.

Skypuppy posted about lawmakers. I asked him a question about lawmakers in return.

You jumped in with a question that had nothing to do with lawmakers. So, I informed you of such.

You replied to ME and avoided my question with some distraction about lawmakers.

"For being a felon and getting caught using a firearm after being a felon... He was sent to a 'boot camp'. Why was this repeat offender ever let out into society again?

A violent criminal should never be in a free society. If a violent criminal is caught with a firearm or committing another violent crime, they should never see the light of day again."

Be honest and admit you made a mistake.

kallend

"And we have examples of armed civilians shooting people they thought were intruders, but in fact were just visitors or even family members."

Funny how you ignored the first part. Yes, accidents happen. No law will prevent this. Maybe you should state what law you think would prevent it.

Because it is pretty clear that you don't want honest citizens to own weapons. But please, tell me what law would prevent the type of accident you brought up.

kallend

Indeed, but no effective process in place to enforce it. Courtesy of the gun lobby, which emasculates any and every effort to establish an effective process.

There is a background check process in pace. It has been emasculated because the laws are not being followed. Each of the mass shooters had a history if it had been reported would have prevented them from buying a weapon.

But even with all the current laws, the Newtown shooter would not have been stopped.

The problem is with the reporting, not the current laws.

You don't like citizens owning firearms... It is clear with every post you make. It is clear with every suggestion you make. It is clear with every argument you make.

You care less about disarming violent criminals than you do honest citizens.

DaVinci

Skypuppy posted about lawmakers. I asked him a question about lawmakers in return.

You jumped in with a question that had nothing to do with lawmakers. So, I informed you of such.

You replied to ME and avoided my question with some distraction about lawmakers.

"For being a felon and getting caught using a firearm after being a felon... He was sent to a 'boot camp'. Why was this repeat offender ever let out into society again?

A violent criminal should never be in a free society. If a violent criminal is caught with a firearm or committing another violent crime, they should never see the light of day again."

Be honest and admit you made a mistake.

wow.

so, post #78 was by skypuppy. I responded with post #81. You responded to that with post #83.

That would make the reply coming from you, to me.

See, when you learn to count #78 comes before #81, which in turn comes before #83. Or you can just scroll up.

(the repeat offender was let out into society so you can keep digging a bigger hole)

DaVinci

Funny how you ignored the first part. Yes, accidents happen. No law will prevent this. Maybe you should state what law you think would prevent it.

Because it is pretty clear that you don't want honest citizens to own weapons. But please, tell me what law would prevent the type of accident you brought up.

Just answering the question YOU asked:

"And yet you can't find many if any examples of a citizen making things worse....... "

Short memory you have.

kallend

Just answering the question YOU asked:

"And yet you can't find many if any examples of a citizen making things worse....... "

Short memory you have.

talking about incidents where someone at home mistakenly shoots a presumed intruder is not a valid example of a citizen at a public shooting making things worse.

kallend

The NRA and others have long asked the question of why, of the 2M people who were rejected during the Brady check, only a few dozen per year are prosecuted, the Feds reply is we don't have the time or interest.

The NRA has long advocated for minimum sentencing guidelines for crimes committed with guns. They have no opposition to a stiff penalty for a convicted felon caught in possession of a concealed gun in Chicago.

The enforcement failure came from the judge in the situation presented. You can't palm that one off on your bogeyman.

kallend

That's not true at all. You're saying they don;t do enuf checks before a felon can get a gun -- we're saying when a felon is CAUGHT WITH A GUN there damm sure is a way to enforce the the law -- PROSECUTE HIM!

Unfortunately, the state and federal enforcers don't seem to want to bother. Maybe they think if more felons realize they won't be punished and more felons are then caught with guns, that will work in the their favor...

Gravitymaster

Whoa....hold on there. Are you trying to say that an ex-Marine (read civilian) with a handgun saved 100 unarmed people from being killed by criminals with guns?

Thats what I am saying.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca