kallend

Civil forfeiture

Shit like this is what turns law-abiding citizens into people who shoot cops. Doubly so in Texas where most people are armed and believe in citizens being armed to protect themselves against government tyranny.

Soon Dunking Donuts will become a free-fire zone.

Andy9o8

Shit like this is what turns law-abiding citizens into people who shoot cops. Doubly so in Texas where most people are armed and believe in citizens being armed to protect themselves against government tyranny.

Cool attempt (using guns) to bring the right wingers into the thread. I guess they just don't care unless it's their guns being confiscated.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Cool attempt (using guns) to bring the right wingers into the thread. I guess they just don't care unless it's their guns being confiscated.

Could be that most people just ignore posts from you since they all seem to blame Bush.

Could be most people avoid dealing with you since you result to insulting them.

As for the OP. Seems wrong to me. It is a shame you care so much about every right but the 2nd.

DaVinci

Could be that most people just ignore posts from you since they all seem to blame Bush.

Could be most people avoid dealing with you since you result to insulting them.

As for the OP. Seems wrong to me. It is a shame you care so much about every right but the 2nd.

STRAW MAN!

1) Please show where I blamed Bush for anything in this thread.

2) Please link to any post I've made attacking the right of any non-felon or loony to bear arms, or any post where I disagreed with Scalia's opinion in Heller which states (among other things) that restrictions on felons and loonies are OK.

Andy9o8

It's Dunkin' Donuts dammit. If you're going to poke fun at conservatives at least get the spelling right!;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

The New Yorker came to the party a little late. (note the 2007 date in the article published in 2012). This practice became quite popular in Louisiana a few years ago, especially along I-10. A couple of years of bad publicity put a stop to a lot of it. The ACLU filed some successful lawsuits: https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law-reform-racial-justice/settlement-means-no-more-highway-robbery-tenaha-texas. It still goes on because courts will more often side with officials than individuals until the official conduct gets just downright outrageous.
Andy's right about one thing. Corruption by local officials is precisely what keeps groups like the Taliban in business. When you get a paycheck from the public to protect and serve and all you do is harass and rob, you're going to lose public support.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Please post about the statute. My understanding is that cash in excess of $10k must be declared to customs when crossing international borders. And the IRS requires banks to report cash transactions over $10k, but nothing beyond common sense requires you to document it to carry it peacefully within the country.

Iago

***Please post about the statute. My understanding is that cash in excess of $10k must be declared to customs when crossing international borders. And the IRS requires banks to report cash transactions over $10k, but nothing beyond common sense requires you to document it to carry it peacefully within the country.

That's probably what I was thinking about. I do remember reading a lot of news articles where people had cash seized (downpayment on a house or buying a boat, for example) because they couldn't prove where it came from and probably crossed the two.

Which still kinda concerns me because on some of my long car trips I might have a grand or two for emergencies.

Shhhh. The NSA is reading your posts.