rushmc

AP reports 4 out of 5 un or under employed

jakee

a sign of deteriorating economic security and an elusive American dream

You must have overlooked this part

Changing the subject when shown to be talking bollocks. That's a surprise.

Then why are you doing it?

The report is clear
Others are changing the subject
then YOU do what you are bitching about
No surprise here
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

So by picking apart the wording as opposed to the idea of the post,

What's the point of responding to a lie except to call it a lie?

"Four out of 5 U.S. adults struggle with joblessness, near-poverty or reliance on welfare for at least parts of their lives"

So this is a lie?

Where is your proof?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The economy. Measured by a country's GDP, which measures the amount of money that transfers hands. And the vast majority of money changes hands at the top level: banks, corporations, the ultra rich. Which basically means the 'economy' is a way of measuring how rich the rich are getting. The 'economy' has little to do with how happy a population is. Just how much money the rich are getting.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

The economy. Measured by a country's GDP, which measures the amount of money that transfers hands. And the vast majority of money changes hands at the top level: banks, corporations, the ultra rich. Which basically means the 'economy' is a way of measuring how rich the rich are getting. The 'economy' has little to do with how happy a population is. Just how much money the rich are getting.

Sorry
I dont buy that

Also
When the GDP was over 4% and unemployment was below 5% AND, Bush was in ofice, the left and its media screamed recession

Now we are under 2% GDP and unemployment is over 7% and we are in a recovery
same logic you are using IMO
Abraham Lincoln

"Four out of 5 U.S. adults struggle with joblessness, near-poverty or reliance on welfare for at least parts of their lives"

So this is a lie?

Try to pay attention. The lie is the title of the OP. It doesn't communicate the facts as presented in the article. The article itself is poorly written, and full of opinion, but that's another topic.

Where is your proof?

Read the article.

Here, let me give you an example.

Title: "Almost 100% of Republicans suffer from bed wetting or bladder control"

First sentance: "A new study shows that almost all Republicans will suffer from loss of bladder control as some time in their lives, including infancy and old age."

Do you really consider the title accurate?

- Dan G

rushmc

***The economy. Measured by a country's GDP, which measures the amount of money that transfers hands. And the vast majority of money changes hands at the top level: banks, corporations, the ultra rich. Which basically means the 'economy' is a way of measuring how rich the rich are getting. The 'economy' has little to do with how happy a population is. Just how much money the rich are getting.

Sorry
I dont buy that

You don't have to buy it. :) But that is the way it works. Economy does nothing to indicate how many people have places to live, have food to eat, are able to raise families, live in relative peace and safety, be educated, or be healthy... in other words, general quality of life. All the economy shows is the amount of money exchanging hands. And most money is exchanged between banks and corporations.
The more you buy into using the economy as a way of measure how good a country is, the more you perpetuate a failed system.

NorrinRadd

******The economy. Measured by a country's GDP, which measures the amount of money that transfers hands. And the vast majority of money changes hands at the top level: banks, corporations, the ultra rich. Which basically means the 'economy' is a way of measuring how rich the rich are getting. The 'economy' has little to do with how happy a population is. Just how much money the rich are getting.

Sorry
I dont buy that

You don't have to buy it. :) But that is the way it works. Economy does nothing to indicate how many people have places to live, have food to eat, are able to raise families, live in relative peace and safety, be educated, or be healthy... in other words, general quality of life. All the economy shows is the amount of money exchanging hands. And most money is exchanged between banks and corporations.
The more you buy into using the economy as a way of measure how good a country is, the more you perpetuate a failed system.

Now I get it
You dont like the capitalist system
Therefore, your position starts from a failed premise

Sorry
It is not that I dont buy it
It is you dont get it
Abraham Lincoln

Mmm.. that is another one of your binary assumptions. What I don't like is not capitalism, but how the system is manipulated and abused, and how too many people just accept it.
Edit:
Rush: I wish I could get involved in a real discussion with you, but you work from so many logical fallacies and closed minded systems that essentially you will only agree with people who choose to agree with you, and you refuse to agree with anyone who has a different opinion, no matter what their rationale. You seem to operate on the same principal of 'either you are with me, or you are against me". Which is too bad. Because the majority of what is out there is somewhere in between.

Did you miss this paragraph, which seems to sum up the article nicely:

"Poverty is no longer an issue of 'them', it's an issue of 'us'," says Mark Rank, a professor at Washington University in St. Louis who calculated the numbers. "Only when poverty is thought of as a mainstream event, rather than a fringe experience that just affects blacks and Hispanics, can we really begin to build broader support for programs that lift people in need."

Do you agree? Do we need more programs to lift people out of poverty? Personally, I don't think we need more programs, but we probably need to restructure what we have. We certainly shouldn't be cutting social safety net programs right now (like the Food Stamp program) if your article is accurate.

- Dan G

Gravitymaster

***Good thing we are headed in the right direction and Obama has his laser focus on the economy and employment again

You know this is all Bush's fault, right?

Can I blame him for somehow lowering the level of intellectual discourse as seen in this thread? We can't even agree that the subject title is a lie.

Actually, GDP (or really GDP per capita) by itself doesn't tell you much about a country unless it's really low. e.g. Haiti's per capita GDP is the equivalent of about $1300. That means most people don't have very much, but it doesn't really tell what the economic balance is. In a country like the U.S. or Sweden (per capita GDP > $40,000) there's a lot more to go around but you still have to use other measures to tell how concentrated the wealth is.
I think the point of the original article was that people used to settle into a job and stay there, where they now have less job security and stability. In itself, this still doesn't tell you how wealthy people are.
In the 19th century, you could have a job for life, but never move up the ladder. There are plenty of workers today who make damn good money for a few years, then are unemployed for several months until they get another contract. Overall, they can do pretty well, even though they have periods of unemployment. The analysis is more complex than you're likely to get in a single article.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

DanG

Did you miss this paragraph, which seems to sum up the article nicely:

"Poverty is no longer an issue of 'them', it's an issue of 'us'," says Mark Rank, a professor at Washington University in St. Louis who calculated the numbers. "Only when poverty is thought of as a mainstream event, rather than a fringe experience that just affects blacks and Hispanics, can we really begin to build broader support for programs that lift people in need."

Do you agree? Do we need more programs to lift people out of poverty? Personally, I don't think we need more programs, but we probably need to restructure what we have. We certainly shouldn't be cutting social safety net programs right now (like the Food Stamp program) if your article is accurate.

I agree to a point about cutting however, growing them as we are does little to no good at this point either. But growing the gov is the goal of who is in Washington these days. And I refer to both parties

What this really points out is that we are not growing anything and more are becoming dependent on the gov. This IMO is no accident
Abraham Lincoln

Bertt

Actually, GDP (or really GDP per capita) by itself doesn't tell you much about a country unless it's really low. e.g. Haiti's per capita GDP is the equivalent of about $1300. That means most people don't have very much, but it doesn't really tell what the economic balance is. In a country like the U.S. or Sweden (per capita GDP > $40,000) there's a lot more to go around but you still have to use other measures to tell how concentrated the wealth is.
I think the point of the original article was that people used to settle into a job and stay there, where they now have less job security and stability. In itself, this still doesn't tell you how wealthy people are.
In the 19th century, you could have a job for life, but never move up the ladder. There are plenty of workers today who make damn good money for a few years, then are unemployed for several months until they get another contract. Overall, they can do pretty well, even though they have periods of unemployment. The analysis is more complex than you're likely to get in a single article.

I quite agree with you! Good points.

NorrinRadd

Mmm.. that is another one of your binary assumptions. What I don't like is not capitalism, but how the system is manipulated and abused, and how too many people just accept it.
Edit:
Rush: I wish I could get involved in a real discussion with you, but you work from so many logical fallacies and closed minded systems that essentially you will only agree with people who choose to agree with you, and you refuse to agree with anyone who has a different opinion, no matter what their rationale. You seem to operate on the same principal of 'either you are with me, or you are against me". Which is too bad. Because the majority of what is out there is somewhere in between.

First off, do you see the irony in your post? I could say the same to you but I don't expect people to change just to change so they will not be said to be closed minded. I also do NOT have a with me or against me attitude. But given we both like to think we have thought things through should I say the same of you?

But to prove you wrong about me not agreeing with anything from others, I do agree with you to a point about the system. But, I would bet we do not agree about who is manipulating the system and why.

So, keep your condescension to yourself or find someone else that kind of manipulation works on, cause if don't fly with me

Now we can all wait and see if you will roll over on a topic you have an opinion on and get your belly scratched just to prove me wrong[:/]
Abraham Lincoln