ibx

Voting Rights Act Provision Struck Down by Top U.S. Court

kallend

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pN7IB-d7Hfw

This guy is a founder of the conservative Heritage Foundation.

He makes the right wing agenda totally clear - suppress the votes of minorities any way you can.

I thought this comment was pretty on point:
"This guy actually looks funnier without the little mustache and uniform..."

Don

kallend

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pN7IB-d7Hfw

He makes the right wing agenda totally clear - suppress the votes of minorities any way you can.

I wonder how many ways you have changed in 33 years.

How about trying your rhetoric with something a little more up to date?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

dmcoco84

Your comments here would be funny it not for the fact that they indicated a sad lack of understanding of the ruling

And we are not a Democracy. The founders made sure of that

We are a respresentative republic

So you disagree with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy
and everybody else on earth as to what a democracy is...

That's fine though, you can redefine any word you want to fit your agenda.

Stupid statement, stupid thread... with a stupid link trying to back up the stupid and INCORRECT statement.

Incorrect only if adhering to the definitions in use when the founding father's penned their documents.

I wouldn't call it idiotic or stupid though.

I live in a parliamentary constitutional monarchy, yet wouldn't call you stupid for contending it is a democracy.

There are multiple defintions for democracy, chosing the most narrow one to call some one idiotic or stupid is .....

turtlespeed

***www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pN7IB-d7Hfw

I wonder how many ways you have changed in 33 years.

33 years ago the GOP candidate for President was Ronald Reagan. In the years since then the GOP has swung far to the right. I truly believe Reagan would be ashamed of today's GOP.

And the fact is that the GOP is currently doing exactly what is described in the video.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[Reply]he fact is that the GOP is currently doing exactly what is described in the video.

Solutions are plentiful. The SCOTUS said that stuff can be done that would pass Constitutional muster.

And if there is some GOP cabal to violate voting rights, then by all means fuck the GOP up. Jail them. Imprison them.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I live in a parliamentary constitutional monarchy, yet wouldn't call you stupid for contending it is a democracy.

I would.

Incorrect only if adhering to the definitions in use when the founding father's penned their documents.

Which is all that matters...

And which is the only reasonable adherence when discussing US Law... unless you are a Progressive.

***Incorrect only if adhering to the definitions in use when the founding father's penned their documents.

And which is the only reasonable adherence when discussing US Law... unless you are a Progressive.

P.S...

And when did these definitions begin to be changed (manipulated)?

The Progressive Era.

dmcoco84

I would.

***Incorrect only if adhering to the definitions in use when the founding father's penned their documents.

Oh, well if you would, then you would be the slightly retarded one. Since in our parliamentary constitutional monarchy our government is elected through a democratic process, one would be fully in their right, under the english language, to call it a democracy.

Your founding father's definitons also included blacks as not being equal to whites. Women not being equal to men. Obviously over time definitions and interpretations change.

SkyDekker

I would.

Oh, well if you would, then you would be the slightly retarded one. Since in our parliamentary constitutional monarchy our government is elected through a democratic process, one would be fully in their right, under the english language, to call it a democracy.

Your founding father's definitons also included blacks as not being equal to whites. Women not being equal to men. Obviously over time definitions and interpretations change.

You analogy makes no sense.

It is like saying that all governments that use voting is a democracy.

Ok, that's fine, as long as you can confirm that everyone that owns a hammer is a carpenter, or that everyone that has a band-aid is a healthcare worker.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

33 years ago the GOP candidate for President was Ronald Reagan. In the years since then the GOP has swung far to the right. I truly believe Reagan would be ashamed of today's GOP.

In the years since then the GOP has swung far to the right.

Equally stupid statement... if you define Left and Right as the Founders did, not as established in Europe and the multiple French governments that resulted after their revolution began.

Both parties have swung in the exact same direction.

33 years ago the GOP candidate for President was Ronald Reagan.

Seriously, Fuck RR. He is not the Model President for our Republic. He is a Progressive Republican, who was a Massive Progressive Democrat before he changed his mind on some minor things...

At no point was he a Democrat or a Republican... he has always been a Progressive D/R.

I truly believe Reagan would be ashamed of today's GOP.

Please do elaborate, because I think he would fit right in with McCain and Graham... they can have themselves a progressive circle jerk.

SkyDekker

If that voting is done in an open, fair and free fashion, it would indeed be pretty democratic.

ONLY if the votes individually counted.

turtlespeed

If that voting is done in an open, fair and free fashion, it would indeed be pretty democratic.

Are you contending individual votes do NOT count in the US?

And the fact is that the GOP is currently doing exactly what is described in the video.

First of all...

I would like to see the full context of the video... however, saying you don't want everyone to vote, is not the same as you want to forcibly prevent people from voting.

And, he is clearly referencing a structural reason; not racial.

I don't want everyone to vote either... specifically all the low information voters.

I don't want my grandparents to vote... I think they are pathetically ridiculous when it comes to voting.

Secondly...

That's BS. Verifying who you are before voting is common sense, not racism.

turtlespeed

I would.

You analogy makes no sense.

Ok, that's fine, as long as you can confirm that everyone that owns a hammer is a carpenter, or that everyone that has a band-aid is a healthcare worker.

Definition of DEMOCRACY

1 a: government by the people; especially: rule of the majority

b: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

:D

Sad... very sad.

You contradict yourself in your own statement.

Your founding father's definitons also included blacks as not being equal to whites.

If you are referring to to 3/5ths Compromise...

... Massively Stupid statement.

Definition of DEMOCRACY

1 a: government by the people; especially: rule of the majority

A - Which we especially are NOT. The Founders were especially against the rule of the majority.

b: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

B - We can call this the Fox News Definition.

P.S... Their definition of Republic sucks as well.

Rules that are likely to have a disproportionate effect on certain classes of citizen (e.g. people without transportation, people who work normal hours) will still be made, because rich people generally make the rules, and poor people are impacted by them [:/]

Now, instead of its being a stated fact that the people in power don't want black or hispanic citizens to vote, it'll be a happy "coincidence" that people of whatever opposite political persuasion are less able to vote. Oh darn >:(

This, right here, is the essential point the 4 dissenting Justices were trying to get across - that the VRA is still relevant because disparate effect still occurs.

It's really the essential point of the thread, too. So to all of you, on both sides, who are getting yourselves all distracted and bothered arguing over the semantics of whether a democratic republic like the USA or a constitutional monarchy like the UK can or cannot be colloquially referred-to by the short-hand term "democracy": you all need meds for your ADHD. Ooh, look - shiny!

SkyDekker

Are you contending individual votes do NOT count in the US?

Hanging chad.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.