skinnay

Racism is definitely not alive and well

If a cop tried that on his own in London they'd kick the shit out of him. WTF was that all about? It has to be a hoax.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I have an example of racism for you.

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/cbckids1.jpg?w=620

This was a recent ad from a well known Leftist TV and radio news agency who was advertising a job opening for a new TV host. Look at the bottom of the ad and tell me this is not racism. It would be bad if this organization was privately funded. But they are not, The are a publicly funded organization. Leftist hypocrites.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Entertainment is probably the only place where being specific about race or gender is generally called "casting."

I was really pissed I didn't get the part of Django until I thought about it a bit.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

This was a recent ad from a well known Leftist TV and radio news agency who was advertising a job opening for a new TV host. Look at the bottom of the ad and tell me this is not racism. It would be bad if this organization was privately funded. But they are not, The are a publicly funded organization. Leftist hypocrites.

Well what is a racial majority of the CBC? If they were attempting to diversify, I think the intentions were obviously different than a street cop arresting someone for no reason. Don't you think?

I'm not saying that's not "racist", but I doubt that ad was placed out of a hate for white people. But you're entitled to be offended and oppressed as you wish.

Entertainment is probably the only place where being specific about race or gender is generally called "casting."

I was really pissed I didn't get the part of Django until I thought about it a bit.

I think there's a bit of a difference between saying, "We need a black guy to play the part of a black character in a movie." and saying, "We need a host for a children's show who isn't white."

I think there's a bit of a difference between saying, "We need a black guy to play the part of a black character in a movie." and saying, "We need a host for a children's show who isn't white."

The wording might be awkward, but if they already have their "Captain Kirk" and they need the rest of their "bridge crew" then they literally do not need to see any more caucasians. So why waste their time?

Wanna have fun? Go check out the listings for work on the Central Casting Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/centralcasting?ref=ts&fref=ts
quade -

Wanna have fun? ... Facebook ...

It would appear there are deeper differences in our personalities than I had imagined.

Pastimes aside, I agree with your general premise that casting for parts can result in decision making about applicants based on what would normally be considered "protected classes," but this does not issue carte blanche.

Once you've decided the roles, casting is casting, but if you decided the roles with a rather arbitrary racial bias (on camera positions for newsrooms, show hosts), all you've done is thinly abstract the discrimination. You can't favor an applicant for an office job because they are white, and that naturally extends to exclude favoring them because, "they would perform best on an all-white team." That's not fooling anybody.

Point being, it is impossible to tell whether the producers are or aren't racist from a simple casting ad. You can deduce the guy who wrote the ad might not exactly be the next Aaron Sorkin, but the ad itself is meaningless in determining how many other "types" are on the project.
quade -

Just as a point of interest, there has been a bit of judicial caselaw on this issue recently:

http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/legal_blog_watch/2012/10/citing-jersey-shore-court-throws-out-racial-discrimination-case-against-the-bachelor.html

Citing 'Jersey Shore,' Court Throws Out Race Discrimination Case Against 'The Bachelor'

As I've previously discussed here on LBW (and here), a class action race discrimination lawsuit was filed this year complaining that neither the television show "The Bachelor" nor its sidekick show, "The Bachelorette," has ever "featured a single person of color" as the lead Bachelor or Bachelorette. The defendants in the case included, among others, ABC, the show's production companies and the show's executive producer.

Alas, earlier this month, the case "did not receive a rose" as they might say on the show, and was dismissed by U.S. District Judge Aleta Trauger. In her opinion, Trauger noted that the issue of whether the First Amendment protected casting decisions appeared to be a matter of first impression. She found, however, that the casting decisions in question were "part and parcel of the creative process behind a television program -- including the Shows at issue here -- thereby meriting First Amendment protection against the application of anti-discrimination statutes to that process."

Trauger referred to the defendants' "convincing" argument that if the First Amendment was interpreted otherwise, any network targeting particular demographic groups such as the Lifetime Network (females), the Black Entertainment Channel (African-Americans), Telemundo (Latinos), and others would be called into question. Similarly, she stated,

the content of any television show that does not have a sufficiently diverse cast would be or would have been subject to court scrutiny, such as The Jersey Shore (all white cast members), The Shahs of Beverly Hills (a show about Persian-Americans living in Los Angeles), The Cosby Show (a show with an African-American cast), and The Steve Harvey Show (a show with an African-American lead actor and supporting cast).

Wanna have fun? Go check out the listings for work on the Central Casting Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/centralcasting?ref=ts&fref=ts

Now there is some hilarious stuff there!
Like the one looking for "cougars".:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Is there a possibility they are having some "affirmative action" imposed upon them, and they are short on non-caucasians?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's self-imposed; that what they want for a kids' program similar to Sesame Street is diversity and they already have their caucasians lined up.

I mean seriously, it's fugging Canada, the Great White North and we're not just talking about snow. Ever notice how many white actors come from Canada? Can you name a single black one?
quade -

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's self-imposed; that what they want for a kids' program similar to Sesame Street is diversity and they already have their caucasians lined up.

I mean seriously, it's fugging Canada, the Great White North and we're not just talking about snow. Ever notice how many white actors come from Canada? Can you name a single black one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Black_Canadian_actors

Ok so out of that list of 65 names do you recognize any? My guess is no.

Now, without even having to look it up on Wikipedia, name 5 white actors from Canada. I'm guessing that's pretty trivial.

It's just a fact, there are WAY more white actors in Canada than black actors. By contrast, US diversity looks pretty good, which it isn't, but compared to Canada...yes.
quade -

Ok so out of that list of 65 names do you recognize any?

Nope. But that wasn't your original question. ;)

Lawyers, every day proving Shakespeare was right.
quade -

Is there a possibility they are having some "affirmative action" imposed upon them, and they are short on non-caucasians?

The CBC short on non-caucasians? You are joking right?

Look I understand you may not be bombarded with the CBC on a daily basis, so I will be willing to cut you some slack here. I know you like to surf around many news sites including some Canadian sites and how could you not be aware of the biggest grand daddy of them all, the publicly funded state broadcaster CBC. There isn't anyone bigger here. This is a big as they come and make no mistake, there is no shortage of non-caucasians down at the CBC because they are pretty much all every thing but white males down at the CBC. The only white males down at the CBC fall into two categories:

- Long time employees who have been at the Mother Corps for at least the last 1/4 century.

or

- Newer ones who are openly gay.

Here is a good commentary on the publicly funded state broadcaster.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/cbcrsquos-reverse-racism/2344404364001

As the commentator says "It would be one thing if this was a privately funded organization". But it's not. This isn't Hollywood, this isn't some private organization who could be put out of business if they exercised poor judgment. No this is a publicly funded government organization, and their racism is no accident.

Disclaimer: the supplied video and commentator Ezra Levant from SUN News is hated by the Left. Just thought I should put that out there. Not trying to hide anything.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm glad you agree there was no racism there. (that's sarcasm; there wasn't any, but I'm sure you saw some)

An ABC store is for buying merchandise. Most have no trespassing signs. When an authorized representative tells you to leave, you're trespassing. If you've made your purchase and then loiter, you might be trespassing. It's an ABC store, not a meeting place. Most everywhere I've ever been, you can't consume on premises. The officer initially made contact to check on a possible violation. You could argue he should have been more professional and could have done some things to can the situation, but that doesn't mean he was wrong.

ABC store tend to generate a lot of problems, so they have more rules than other stores and are much more heavily patrolled. Simple solution: wait for your friend at the next parking lot. Problem prevented.

ETA:
This was North Carolina. All ABC stores are state owned. Every single one has a no trespassing sign posted, and a list of "Dont's" on the sign. In addition, ABC law in NC is extensive. It includes prohibited conduct in the store and PVA. I'm guessing the arresting officer was an ABC officer, not local PD. they are trained in the same academy along side state highway patrol officers. Take tat impact on attitude anyway you want.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*