Andy9o8

Monday Morning's Mass Shooting-of-the-Week

rushmc

3rd mass shooting this week. Probably need a new subject line.

that definition is getting a bit broad, it appears.

If people are debating over the semantics of "mass shooting", hoo boy are they missing the mark.
Sometimes you just need to step back away from the canvas to see the whole painting.

Mass shootings continue to drop in numbers over all

Yet you keep posting

why?

the truth is revealed in the sound of one hand clapping, grasshopper.

Andy9o8

3rd mass shooting this week. Probably need a new subject line.

that definition is getting a bit broad, it appears.

If people are debating over the semantics of "mass shooting", hoo boy are they missing the mark.
Sometimes you just need to step back away from the canvas to see the whole painting.

Mass shootings continue to drop in numbers over all

Yet you keep posting

why?

the truth is revealed in the sound of one hand clapping, grasshopper.

when it starts, please let me know
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Andy9o8

Personally I'd be much more concerned about the numbers and types than if they can be misused to scare people.

Last night a recent Cal grad got rear ended in Oakland. When he got out of the car to talk with the other (guilty party), it lead to them shooting and killing him. There's no way you could classify it as a "mass shooting." Only one guy died. (road rage would be another inappropriate tag) But it bothers me much more than any drug related shooting, the same way that random public shootings bother people. The incident Kallend refers to is not that, but he's categorizing it there because that's what people care about. The risk that they might be shot when going about their business. Not low life felons shooting each other. No one gives a fuck about those guys. (Unless they want to use the sheer number of those deaths to make the threat of guns seem more significant than the benefit of them)

None of this is new to you, Andy. All articulation by lawyers is about framing the argument in a way that favors your client's interest. Aside from actually knowing the law, this is what you're paid to do.

Andy9o8

4 people got shot in 1 shooting. close enough for me. sorry if that's too shark-slippery for you.

It's fun watching lawyers slither.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

kelpdiver

Not low life felons shooting each other. No one gives a fuck about those guys. (Unless they want to use the sheer number of those deaths to make the threat of guns seem more significant than the benefit of them)

Well, maybe the folks who repeatedly bring up Chicago's murder rate will take notice of your point, since it is due overwhelmingly to gang bangers offing each other.

(Besides, in terms of murders per 100,000 population Chicago isn't even in the top ten US cities).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Andy9o8

I tried the whole painting approach with regards to the language in post #10 but then the thread died.

I tried the whole painting approach with regards to legislation in post #22 but no one appears interested in that.

But whatever... people are free to go on being much more concerned that this be called a mass shooting than I am that it not be if it makes them feel more comfortable with their opinions.

kallend

Well, maybe the folks who repeatedly bring up Chicago's murder rate will take notice of your point, since it is due overwhelmingly to gang bangers offing each other.

In terms of defining the severity of the problem, sure. But it's still quite apt for showing the ineffectiveness of gun bans for disarming criminals. Anywhere that drugs can be smuggled, so can guns.

kelpdiver

In terms of defining the severity of the problem, sure. But it's still quite apt for showing the ineffectiveness of gun bans for disarming criminals. Anywhere that drugs can be smuggled, so can guns.

Besides, in terms of murders per 100,000 population Chicago isn't even in the top ten US cities.

normiss

We should really start talking about dealing with the mental health issue. That little part is failing us miserably.

+1
But then, it's the fear factor....weapons are more scary than mental health issues.

popsjumper

***We should really start talking about dealing with the mental health issue. That little part is failing us miserably.

+1
But then, it's the fear factor....weapons are more scary than mental health issues.

I'd rather deal with an unarmed mentally unstable person than one with an AR15 and 1000 rounds of ammunition.

kallend

******We should really start talking about dealing with the mental health issue. That little part is failing us miserably.

+1

I'd rather deal with an unarmed mentally unstable person than one with an AR15 and 1000 rounds of ammunition.

And you would disarm everyone to do it
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

******We should really start talking about dealing with the mental health issue. That little part is failing us miserably.

+1

Of course. When you combine the three, it's unlikely that anything good could come of it, I agree.

Question: If you had the power to eliminate one OR the other, which one would you eliminate? It appears that you'd keep the unstable and do away with the AR15.

rushmc

*********We should really start talking about dealing with the mental health issue. That little part is failing us miserably.

+1

And you would disarm everyone to do it

Nope.

Why do you repeat this lie over and over.

You have been challenged over and over to supply a link to any post where I have suggested that, and you have NEVER managed to find even one.

popsjumper

*********We should really start talking about dealing with the mental health issue. That little part is failing us miserably.

+1

Of course. When you combine the three, it's unlikely that anything good could come of it, I agree.

Question: If you had the power to eliminate one OR the other, which one would you eliminate? It appears that you'd keep the unstable and do away with the AR15.

How do you propose eliminating mentally unstable people. Seems pretty extreme to me.

Just making it very difficult for mentally ill people to obtain an AR15 or ammo seems doable, however.

normiss

Fine, let's call it "The most recent looney with a gun incident".

We should really start talking about dealing with the mental health issue. That little part is failing us miserably.

Another:

www.washingtonpost.com/national/police-searching-for-suspect-in-shooting-of-woman-3-teenage-daughters-in-nashville/2013/06/14/6a0722a2-d55b-11e2-b3a2-3bf5eb37b9d0_story.html

How do you propose eliminating mentally unstable people. Seems pretty extreme to me.

I guess the first thing that came to your mind was killing them.
What was on my mind was *SNAP!* and Kallend said, "Let there be no more mental instability."

Just making it very difficult for mentally ill people to obtain an AR15 or ammo seems doable, however.

Well, we already know how THAT can so easily be abused. God and the 2nd amendment help us if a gun-o-phobe is making the decisions on what constitutes mental illness.

popsjumper

I guess the first thing that came to your mind was killing them.
What was on my mind was *SNAP!* and Kallend said, "Let there be no more mental instability."

Tried looking in a dictionary?