quade

Imagine this . . .

Imagine this being applied to not only a single person's still images, but also video and crowd sourced. Hmmm...

http://photosynth.net/

You could set known cameras such as security camera as fixed data points, fit all the crowd sourced images and "walk" through the area both in time and space.

Why hasn't this been done yet?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

First, it has been done in plenty of large cities at major crime scenes. Actually I'm pretty sure I saw a system neon set up near the finish line in one of the later pics. As for the Boston scene including all the news and amateur shots, the biggest problem I see is that no one is stationary. The people would all change location depending on time, and most of them probably have enough internal clock variation to make it more difficult.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Well, massive number crunching to make it fit, but I don't see that as being a limiting factor. I don't even think you need time elements on the random cameras as long as you have something you can sync master ones to.

Hmmm...
quade -

Too many capture variables, I'd guess. Each device, whether still or video, is going to have a different:
Field of View
Depth of Field
Resolution
Framerate (for video)
Exposure settings
Etc
This alone is going to cause an insane amount of variability when trying to stitch everything together. I saw some footage recently where a guy had made his own rig for about a dozen gopros to basically do his own "Matrix" style shots. Even with all identical devices, all side by side and neatly aligned, the end results got pretty choppy when the transition came. Neat idea though, you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1oDxu_7W8g&feature=youtu.be

Having said all that - give it a decade tops and it'll be run of the mill to do this sort of thing.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Right. And I'm saying take it a few steps further into the time dimension. An incredibly powerful, useful and sort of scary tool.

I was responding to you asking why this hasn't been done yet with an example of it being done currently.
Owned by Remi #?

My guess is that even though there are insane numbers of cameras out there, under normal circumstances there aren't enough people taking pictures of random locations to generate 3D of ANYWHERE at any time.

However, when there is a focus of attention, like Boston last weekend, and suddenly the amount of crowd-source pictures and video in one place becomes more significant, then I could see it being easier to piece together.

Elvisio "I'm sure the government's all over this already" Rodriguez

Who says it isn being done? While FBI isn't as famous for its programmers as NSA, DIA, NRO, and other alphabet soup folks, they're no slouches either. For all you and I know, the FBI have every picture available entered into a 3D model of those two blocks and sequenced for time. Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean the Feds don't have it. We know for a fact they have lots of video that hasn't been released to the public. Why should the model be any different?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Who says it isn being done?

Well, you've got a point, but I don't think there would be an OpSec reason for keeping it secret. In fact, there'd probably be a really damn good reason to publicize the hell out of it.
quade -

Maybe. We'll see. What would be really nice is a video and still compilation that how's them with packs walking to the blast ground zero, then walking away without their packs. I'm sure they're working on it, for trial if nothing else. However if they don't feel they need to, they aren't going to release information/evidence concerning a pending trial. They'll hold it until trial (or at least disposition).

In that same vein I'd like to know who hired the PMCs (Craft?) that were working the finish line area and talked to the FBI agent (female) who pulled up in the SUV right after the blasts. I'm not going to go all nanothermite if I never find out, but I'm curious.
witty subliminal message
1*

Nope but, between the big domestic SUV and dark jacket with FBI at a crime scene, I doubt even the full fledged nanothermite crowd would question her authenticity.

So what's with the "I'm making fun of your stupidity" added quotes? Aren't you at least a little bit curious?
witty subliminal message
1*

Nope but, between the big domestic SUV and dark jacket with FBI at a crime scene, I doubt even the full fledged nanothermite crowd would question her authenticity.

So what's with the "I'm making fun of your stupidity" added quotes? Aren't you at least a little bit curious?

Oh, that wasn't genuinely directed at you. I chose to mock the nanothermite crowd by imitating one of them.
As long as it amuses ME, it's all good. ;)

Ah, then proceed at will. May I suggest westcoastwhateverwhatever, the new rhys/dreamdancer bastard child.

As long as he's not an unstable, gun-toting sock puppeteer with an angry chip on his shoulder who wants to find me and blow my brains out, I don't really care what he does.