rushmc

Is My Own Gun More Likely to be Used Against Me or My Family?

About the suicide issue...Well, Duh! If I'm going to commit suicide, I'd prefer to do it with the quickest and most painless method available to me. Are you guys saying that the only reason for the suicides is because there is a weapon in the house? Take the weapon away to prevent suicides?

Your right... People who attempt suicide with a gun are successful 90% of the time, almost 18,000 people a year use a gun to end their life in the US. People who have no access to firearms, who attempt suicide, are far less likely to be successful. Suicide, for the most part, is impulsive, and access to a gun just makes it that much easier.

Will people continue to kill themselves? absolutely. Will people who have access to firearm in their home kill themselves at a much higher rate then those who don't? It's a proven fact.

About the suicide issue...Well, Duh! If I'm going to commit suicide, I'd prefer to do it with the quickest and most painless method available to me. Are you guys saying that the only reason for the suicides is because there is a weapon in the house? Take the weapon away to prevent suicides?

Your right... People who attempt suicide with a gun are successful 90% of the time, almost 18,000 people a year use a gun to end their life in the US. People who have no access to firearms, who attempt suicide, are far less likely to be successful. Suicide, for the most part, is impulsive, and access to a gun just makes it that much easier.

Will people continue to kill themselves? absolutely. Will people who have access to firearm in their home kill themselves at a much higher rate then those who don't? It's a proven fact.

Because the CDC was investigating this very issue in the 1990s and producing data showing that gun ownership did not reduce risk, the NRA very effectively lobbied the GOP in Congress to cut funding to the CDC division doing the research. The NRA also managed to get language in the ACA that prevents doctors from reporting on gun related issues.

If guns in the home are so beneficial, inquiring minds want to know why the NRA lobbied so hard to prevent details of this supposed benefit from becoming known. Maybe rushmc can enlighten us.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I know any number of responsible law abiding gun owners, and Hurricane Katrina really changed my mind about gun control (I had been strongly in favor of gun control prior to Katrina).

But that said, of the five people I've known who have taken their lives in the last six years, four have done it with their own guns. One hung himself, but I really have to wonder if the other four might have got past a very bad day if they hadn't had something so quick and effective as a gun.

Just sayin', there are no easy answers to this.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I know any number of responsible law abiding gun owners, and Hurricane Katrina really changed my mind about gun control (I had been strongly in favor of gun control prior to Katrina).

But that said, of the five people I've known who have taken their lives in the last six years, four have done it with their own guns. One hung himself, but I really have to wonder if the other four might have got past a very bad day if they hadn't had something so quick and effective as a gun.

Sorry for the loss of your friends

And I agree, there is no easy answer

I do think you experience demonstrates that mental health care should be looked at much differently than it is today

Again
I am sorry is took such extreme actions for those you know, to try and find peace.

Marc
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Sorry to hear about your loss. I don't mean any disrespect at all with this question; were any of them on psychiatric meds?

Is My Own Gun More Likely to be Used Against Me or My Family?

All things considered, I suppose I'd guess "You".

:)

Aw

So nice

Happy New Year to You

regardless of your comment
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

*I* am not a gang-banger. Therefore, I am not going to consider statistics involving gang-bangers to determine whether or not a gun will benefit me.

*I* am not going to use a gun as an offensive weapon. Therefore, I do not consider "justifiable homicide" statistics to determine whether a gun will or will not help me.

*I* am not going to stick a gun in my mouth and kill myself, so I do not consider "suicide" statistics to determine whether a gun will or will not protect me.

Let's compare apples and apples (to the greatest extent possible). I have lawfully carried a concealed weapon for most of the past 14 years (as is true with many off-duty cops, for example). Problems averted: 2 The first was to put down a deer that another motorist had crippled. The second was to deal with a very large belligerent man in my neighborhood at night. There was no need to fire a shot or even take aim - the mere presence of the weapon stopped his advance until the police arrived (which took OVER 15 minutes).

Point being - compare apples to apples as much as possible. I really don't give two squirts of monkey piss about suicide statistics, or gang-banger statistics, or anything else that doesn't apply to ME.

If you do the math in an honest way, you'll note that there is NO indication of more guns leading to more crime, and some indication that more guns lead to less crime (although I will concede it is not conclusive and correlation does not equate to causation, etc).

Marc
Are we sure that's a good idea?

I'm quite sure Ms. Lanza thought the same way you do.

You must be 'real' smart - even smarter than I thought you were - to know what Ms. Lanza thought...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I'm quite sure Ms. Lanza thought the same way you do.

You must be 'real' smart - even smarter than I thought you were - to know what Ms. Lanza thought...

Do you think Ms. Lanza thought her son would shoot her with her own gun? Really?

Do you think Ms. Lanza thought her son would shoot her with her own gun? Really?

I guess you dont see the irony in your own words.

Ms. Lanza, owner of several guns, is still dead, shot with her own gun.