rushmc

IL concealed weapons ban tossed

http://blogs.suntimes.com/politics/2012/12/big_win_for_gun-rights_groups_federal_appeals_court_tosses_state_ban_on_carrying_concealed_weapons.html

SPRINGFIELD-In a huge win for gun-rights groups, a federal appeals court in Chicago Tuesday tossed the state's ban on carrying concealed weapons and gave Illinois' Legislature 180 days to craft a law legalizing concealed carry.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I expect them to draft a law that makes it as difficult as possible for citizens to carry concealed.

Agreed

The fight is far from over in that state
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I expect them to draft a law that makes it as difficult as possible for citizens to carry concealed.

that has been their pattern, but they may start having to pay legal fees for the opposition if they continue to be so crass about it, just as San Francisco had to pay the NRA for costs around a bill they knew was unconstitutional (per state) before enacting it.

At the end of the rainbow, I'd expect them to end up with carry legislation very similar to California, where the sheriff of the county may issue a permit (but probably won't). Call it progress, but not very substantial progress.

Yeah, I agree. A 'May Issue' is better then nothing. IF the 'May Issue' is equivalent to a ban which is likely then they will back in court.

I don't really understand why Illinois is so screwed up. I grew up near Chicago and the gang violence is really bad even in the suburbs. Their gun laws haven't worked. Having a 'Shall Issue' concealed carry has been proven to not increase gun violence. I live in Texas and have my CHL. I carry nearly all of the time.

Yeah, I agree. A 'May Issue' is better then nothing. IF the 'May Issue' is equivalent to a ban which is likely then they will back in court.

It is a ban in San Francisco by any reasonable look. It hasn't been fought successfully, or at all, I believe. Chicago could certainly emulate it.