CarpeDiem3

Americans clinging to their guns

Like so many in this country, I like guns. I especially like older guns, Colts and Winchesters. I like the fact that I live in a country where I can own them. I have been taught as a kid, the proper handling and use of guns. I detest the idea of someone wanting to take that right away from us. If, our government ever decides to take that right away from us, I believe it just might get ugly.

Chuck

What exactly did Obama say about taking guns away?

No fear, he's unlikely to take the Shotguns away... :P

I recall that Joe Biden said Obama was going to have a serious problem if he tried to take Joe's Shotgun away. :$ It's so hot when Joe stands up for me like that. :D

Hi Chuck! Isn't it great that we live in a state that the lawmakers still use common sense, most of the time. I think in the very unlikely event that the anti-gun nuts have their dream come true, people like the Carp should have to go with the confiscation teams to pick up all the guns. And they should be at the head of the team. The first one through the door. After all, if they feel that strongly about taking everyone's guns, they should be proud to put their ass on the line for their beliefs. Seems fair to me. I might have a little respect for them if they did that, but we know that wouldn't happen. A big shortage of balls in that crowd. It's good to be a Texan! Texas first and bring back the Republic!

:D You nailed it when you mentioned 'common sense'. That's what is lacking with the 'Chicken Littles' in this country. I get the idea, they believe every gun owner is a terroristic threat to their safety. They thrive on 'scare tactics', half-truths and downright lies. All in an effort to support their cause. Just like some of the animal rights groups. That's another topic. As I said earlier in another gun thread, they can't see that by taking guns from good citizens, they increase the number of victims. That's because only the bad guys will have guns. The cops can't be everywhere at one time! A person With a concealed carry permit could very well save their sad little life. In reality, I don't believe we have much to worry about. If, there ever comes a day when a bill hits Congress to ban and take our guns, there will be such an up-roar and every politician would suddenly be the most hated person walking. Those politicians do like our votes... don't they?

Chuck

You're right. Votes to keep their cushy little jobs are what keep the creatures in Congress paying attention to us. They still remember what happened to their buddies in '94. Contrary to the fears I hear at the gun shows, I'm not really too concerned about any sweeping new laws. Not that I don't pay attention to what they are doing, you have to keep an eye on them. I don't see that there is anywhere near enough support there to pass any big gun bills. That doesn't mean Obama won't try and pull a fast one with an executive order or new directives to ATF or other agencies as a way to get around Congress, but not much you can do about that. And being the underhanded snake he is, that is a distinct possibility. We'll just have to see what happens.

I agree, big time! You're sur right about Obama being sneaky. He keeps throwing-out his 'executive order' card. Let me ask this, couldn't the Supreme Court do something. It's been so long since I took high school government class. :D His Highness B.O., seems to think he's omnipitant. I just don't trust the guy. I don't like the way he goes around our Constitution and our Bill of Rights just to express his 'authority'.

Chuck

I think the only way the SC would overturn an executive order, would be if someone took it to court as unconstitutional, and wound up in front of them. The only other way is for Congress, with I think a 75%(and I could be wrong on the percentage), vote to veto it. I'm sure Lawrocket or Andy could clear this up. People forget that Bush, Sr. used an executive order to stab us in the back the first time on so-called "assault rifles" in 1989. That order is still on the books. So much for our Republican 'friends' watching out for our rights. Not that George was a big buddy of gunowners to start with. He was big supporter of the '68 GCA and only joined the NRA a few years before running for president. He only joined to appeal to that segment of the voters, so it wasn't any big deal when he cancelled his NRA lifetime membership after the NRA called the ATF a bunch of jackbooted thugs. Another example of why you have to watch both sides of the aisle, no matter what they say. In the end, they are all self serving snakes, meaning politicians. And I trust Obama less than any politician that I have seen in my 62 years. After all, he is a product of Chicago politics, the most corrupt in the nation. Little Barry will take some watching this time around, since he can't run again and has nothing to lose.

Facts:

1) Current estimates of privately-held weapons in America range from 400 million up to a billion. No one really knows the exact number. This doesn't count anything in gun shops or sporting goods stores, or held by the military.

2) Obama supported the restoration of the right to own handguns in Washington, DC while he was a US Senator.

3) Banning guns in America would be a useless gesture. You'd need a warehouse the size of New Jersey to store them all, and a few million more police to enforce it.

4) With the proper Federal license, you can even own and shoot guns Like These.

Got a cite for #2? I think you are mistaken. He didn't sign on to a "Friend of the Court" brief, and supported banning both pistols and CCW permits.

http://davekopel.org/2A/Mags/when-obama-wrestles-with-heller.htm

And there is no license required to own full auto. There are a bunch of hoops to jump through, signatures to get and taxes to pay.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I feel quite certain, some group or some one would get it before the Supreme Court! Guns are a huge, touchy subject in this country. I carry a pistol when I'm horseback... rattlesnakes, mostly. I have a CHL and the right to have that gun. Obama would have to be an idiot to even attempt to ban guns or even have them 'confiscated'. I don't care if it is his last term. If, he did, I would expect the worst. You touched on something that a lot of people forget... Obama is a bi-product of Illinois government... 'nuff said.

Chuck

I'm not really worried about him trying to ban or confiscate guns. Being the snake he is, he would be more inclined to tighten import restrictions on guns, ammo, etc. Then work on raising the costs of guns and related items domestically through fees and taxes. And there is always the possibility of having ATF adding more restrictions on who can have an FFL, or make the license fee higher. The fewer FFL dealers, the less competition, usually the higher the cost to the customer. With a combination of tactics, you can make it much more costly for the gun owners. To the point that you make shooting too expensive for the majority of the population. I would hate to think that I had to limit myself to a hundred rounds or less out of my .45 or FAL when I wanted to go shooting. But if the price for ammo got too much, I guess I would. Glad I bought that 22 conversion kit for my Combat Commander now. He might make our life uncomfortable, but he won't beat us.

I believe you are right and making good points. I wouldn't give a plug nickel for his safety if he tried to ban guns or have them confiscated. I feel he's a very self-centered and arrogant type but he's not stupid enough to go that severe. I'm glad I stocked-up on ammo for all my and my wife's guns a few years ago when the ammo was lower in price. I could probably have gotten more .30-06 but I know where I can get good stuff cheap.

Chuck

Facts:

1) Current estimates of privately-held weapons in America range from 400 million up to a billion. No one really knows the exact number. This doesn't count anything in gun shops or sporting goods stores, or held by the military.

2) Obama supported the restoration of the right to own handguns in Washington, DC while he was a US Senator.

3) Banning guns in America would be a useless gesture. You'd need a warehouse the size of New Jersey to store them all, and a few million more police to enforce it.

4) With the proper Federal license, you can even own and shoot guns Like These.

Got a cite for #2? I think you are mistaken. He didn't sign on to a "Friend of the Court" brief, and supported banning both pistols and CCW permits.

http://davekopel.org/2A/Mags/when-obama-wrestles-with-heller.htm

And there is no license required to own full auto. There are a bunch of hoops to jump through, signatures to get and taxes to pay.

Correct. There is no license. As I wrote above, you have to fill out a form in duplicate originals. You get one back. It also includes duel fingerprint cards and passport photos to attach, but it really isn't too bad. It's about the same as the form you filled out to own the weapon. And, as much as I disapprove of the existance of the organization, the people at BATF were polite and helpful. I don't want anyone dissuaded if they want an automatic weapon or silencer. Join the fun.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

...And there is no license required to own full auto. There are a bunch of hoops to jump through, signatures to get and taxes to pay.

Correct. There is no license. As I wrote above, you have to fill out a form in duplicate originals. You get one back. It also includes duel fingerprint cards and passport photos to attach, but it really isn't too bad. It's about the same as the form you filled out to own the weapon. And, as much as I disapprove of the existance of the organization, the people at BATF were polite and helpful. I don't want anyone dissuaded if they want an automatic weapon or silencer. Join the fun.

You also have to get a signature from the local police chief or sheriff. While the "Trust Route" works for silencers and short barrels, it no longer works for full auto.

So if you live in an area where the chief or sheriff won't sign, or will only sign for his buddies, or only if you support his re-election campaign (sheriffs are elected) then you are out of luck.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

It's been a while, but I think the signature was only to verify you didn't have a local criminal record that would preclude ownership. Not sure.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

It's been a while, but I think the signature was only to verify you didn't have a local criminal record that would preclude ownership. Not sure.

That was the original intent. So that "known bad guys" who were legal to own guns (no felony record) but were known to the locals to be gangsters or otherwise bad people who shouldn't have that kind of firepower could be prevented from getting it.

But it is total control, with no appeal process or any sort of check on it.

If the chief "doesn't want those sorts of guns in his town" or "doesn't think ordinary people should have those kinds of guns" or "doesn't want his officers to have to face one of those" then he can refuse to sign.

And there's nothing that can be done about it.