Shredex

Libertarians...

I've noticed the Romney people usually stay with Romney after hearing about Gary for those exact reasons.
Luckily its mostly the Democrats that really like him and that are actually going to vote for him.

But anything is better then obama.

who I'd vote for in order:
1: Gary Johnson
2: Ron Paul
3: Mitt Romney
4: Turd Sandwich
N/A: Obama

I've noticed the Romney people usually stay with Romney after hearing about Gary for those exact reasons.
Luckily its mostly the Democrats that really like him and that are actually going to vote for him.

I believe that - disenchanted Dems would likely vote third party. It's hard to give up all the brainwashing, stereotypes and strawman arguments they've embraced over the year about "that other evil party".

(I'd happily print the same thing and switch the party names if the post I replied to had come from the other direction - fanatics on both teams seem to vote "against the other guy no matter what" rather than decide what to vote for - that's why when their guy turds into a pile of crap they think it's the OMG END OF THE UNIVERSE AND HOPELESS FOR MANKIND)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well, Third parties might be included after this election:
From Gary Johnsons Facebook:
"What would America be like if we had a third choice for President? Gov. Johnson represents that choice. Protest the two party stranglehold on America and support Gov. Gary Johnson. All we need is 5% of the nationwide popular vote to change the political landscape of this country forever! Make it happen and be part of the 5% that changes America."

I think he is at 10% right now and just needs 5% more to be including in the next primary.

I'm more Libertarian in philosophy than either of the two "spend and spend more" parties. (i.e., fiscally very conservative, socially I'd like people to make their own choice and then not have me pay for them).

However - I don't see third party votes being really philosophically based. But rather more as a protest to the two major options. So I respect that 3rd party vote when it's FOR that candidate. But I consider it wasted when it's just an act of rebellion/withdrawal from the contest.

do you know what I'm saying here?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Voting for anyone but Romney or Obama at this point is just throwing your vote away.

I voted Gary Johnson. I know he's not going to win, but it only takes 5% in 2012 to get Libertarians debate participation, easier ballot access, and matching federal funds in 2016.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

It's just another tact in order to get more votes.
Third partys have been trying for decades to get recognized but they just can't compare to the publicity that demos/repubs get.

But if we were to get a total of 15% of the votes, then the Libertarians would be included in the next presidential debate, and gives us a much greater chance at finally being elected. That's what the 5% more is all about. It's baby steps but no one can say that we aren't trying! We want Gary to win.

I'm more Libertarian in philosophy than either of the two "spend and spend more" parties. (i.e., fiscally very conservative, socially I'd like people to make their own choice and then not have me pay for them).

However - I don't see third party votes being really philosophically based. But rather more as a protest to the two major options. So I respect that 3rd party vote when it's FOR that candidate. But I consider it wasted when it's just an act of rebellion/withdrawal from the contest.

do you know what I'm saying here?

Well, I'd much rather see the Libertarians in power than, say the Greens or the Communists.

I mostly agree with their overall philosophy.

There's a few things that simply aren't going to fly, but that's true of all the parties, big and small.

So if I vote for the Libs, it will be a futile gesture protesting against the idiocy of the 2 major parties and a vote for a candidate who I mostly agree with.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I know he's not going to win, but it only takes 5% in 2012 to get Libertarians debate participation, easier ballot access, and matching federal funds in 2016.

Bah, I sure hope Libertarians would turn down federal matching funds.

I'd also hope either of the major candidates would turn down super PAC help, but neither can afford to and remain relevant.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I know he's not going to win, but it only takes 5% in 2012 to get Libertarians debate participation, easier ballot access, and matching federal funds in 2016.

HA! that's a great point

HA! that's a great point

And a great example of how quickly principle will crumble under the weight of money.

HA! that's a great point

And a great example of how quickly principle will crumble under the weight of money.

How can you say? - they haven't been offered it yet. Seems to me it'll be the first test.

We once had a Libertarian candidate on the ballot for some sort of Parks & Recreation position. I voted for him just to see if his first action would be to eliminate is entire department. lol (I'm not sure if it was city or county, just remember thinking it was an odd one to decide by vote, and even odder for a Libertarian candidate).

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)