ShcShc11

Republicans eye return to GOLD standard..

>I shared what was shared by me, from friends and relatives that have been in the
>business all of their lives

I have no doubt that that happened to them. But it can be a mistake to take isolated stories and assume the entire industry is headed in that direction. I recall a lot of Internet startups tanking in the mid-1990's. That doesn't mean that, overall, there wasn't a lot of growth going on.

The one hard and fast number you can point to at the end of the day is domestic oil production. And that is up in a big way.

Yeah, but, you know...truthiness.

Are you saying these folks lied to me?

I'm saying a small sample size can make it seem as if things are one way and might convince a person they are one way, when the reality is the small sample size is an outlier and not representative of the whole.

But it "sounds" so good . . . people just can't help "feeling" it's the way things really are.

That's kind of the definition of "thruthiness." Something that feels right in your gut, but in reality is quite different.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Not necessarily.
I never truly liked black&white labels... (kind of like are you a "Christian" or "Atheist"). My views tend to be "Keynesian" mainly because of the economic situations caused by the 2008 events.

Milton Friedman (the father of Reagan's economics) said: "If monetary policy is insufficient, then the federal spending has to reign in".

Mr. Friedman is in no way seen as a "Keynesian", my views are essentially the same as his in the circumstances we are currently in.

Thanks for sharing that.

...so we don't really have any choice but to spend in order to "compensate" the interest rates.

I forget the name of the condition, but it's one where you keep spending and it doesn't make any difference (liquidity trap?). If that's the case, why keep spending? Where's the limit to the spending?

Irrelevant subjects bc the gov has no other choice.

Sure this govt has a choice. They could change their policies and allow people to get back to work. The Obama administration has shut down oil exploration. My uncle, who has worked for 30 years in the gulf, hasn't worked in over a year. A good friend of mine is head of Gulf operations for a major oil company. They haven't had a license issued to them in a long time. Revenue from oil explorations (license, fees, taxes) used to be the 2nd highest revenue stream to the government.

Personally, I agree that there needs to be de-regulation in certain industries (e.g: Keystone oil pipeline).

Its not the main cause that is preventing hiring but it would certainly help.

Its a bit like ''taxing the rich'' to help with deficit; it will most definitely help, but it definitely won't be sufficient by itself.

so yes there should be dereg, but then the question is: ''which ones''.

Cheers!
Shc