DiverMike

Pay tax on Olympic Earnings.

Under U.S. tax law, they must include the value of their Olympic medals and prizes in their taxable income. The precious metal in the medals is worth about $675 for gold, $385 for silver and under $5 for bronze. But medalists take in handsome cash prizes, too: $25,000 for gold, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze.

Assuming they're paying the top U.S. tax rate of 35%, that means Olympians would have to shell out $8,750 for winning gold, $5,250 for silver and $3,500 for bronze.

SOURCE: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/08/03/how-the-irs-takes-the-gold-after-the-olympics/

It's a rather silly debate. Most of the taxes would come from their earned income and not the medals themselves.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

>If they aren't "officially" representing their respective countries, then why can't
>the name be changed to the Fed-Ex Olympic Team?

Because the competition rules prohibit that.

Exactly, they officially require them to use the name of the country they represent.

And so the difference between the Olympian and the skydiver is...?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Philippines and Eritrea apparently.

I learned something new today. I've never heard of Eritrea. I had to look it up in Wikipedia to see if it was real.

Well, you are an American so don't feel too bad about it:P

>If they aren't "officially" representing their respective countries, then why can't
>the name be changed to the Fed-Ex Olympic Team?

Because the competition rules prohibit that.

Exactly, they officially require them to use the name of the country they represent.

And so the difference between the Olympian and the skydiver is...?

Well lets see. The Skydiving event isn't on TV every night, the skydivers don't make $millions off their endorsements or get their pictures on a box of Wheaties. They don't have the support of $millions worth of money donated for training. Skydivers aren't loved by a large majority of the population. They aren't given huge receptions when they return. The President doesn't talk about them when he gives speeches etc.

I can give you more difference if you are having trouble coming up with them on your own. Basically, very few outside of other skydiver or Red Bull give a shit! Very few people think of skydivers as representing their country.

The difference is the soldier and the Olympic Athlete are officially representing the U.S. The skydiver is not.

Wrong, as usual.

So is it your contention they are not representing the U.S or that they are doing so un-officially?

YOUR contention is that the skydiver is not.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Very few people think of skydivers as representing their country.

Whether or not you represent your country does not depend on the number of people who think about it.

The difference is the soldier and the Olympic Athlete are officially representing the U.S. The skydiver is not.

Wrong, as usual.

So is it your contention they are not representing the U.S or that they are doing so un-officially?

Wrong again, as usual.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/weekly-address

See if you can pick out how many times he claims they are "our athletes".

Here, let me help you out:

And we could not be prouder of the men and women representing our country in London, in both the Olympics and in the Paralympics.

The keyword you have trouble grasping id "officially". Now, I understand the athletes on the U.S. Team are not paid for by the U.S. but that doesn't make them any less the "official" U.S. Team unless you are willing to claim that payment makes the difference between official and unofficial. In that case, the countries that pay their athletes could be said to making their representation "official".

The point here is that the President, members of the Senate and House as well as many Governors, Mayors etc. "officially" endorse the U.S. Olympic Team. That makes them the "official" U.S. Olympic team. The U.S. Skydiving team recieves no such official endorsement.

Let me see if I can explain this in a way you can understand. If I decided to start a womens mud wrestling team and compete against other countries, would you recognize them as the "official" U.S. Team?

Let me see if I can explain this in a way you can understand. If I decided to start a womens mud wrestling team and compete against other countries, would you recognize them as the "official" U.S. Team?

Can you post pictures of said official US women mud wrestlers (as well as their opponents) to help me decide?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Can you post pictures of said official US women mud wrestlers (as well as their opponents) to help me decide?

Most of them are Sumo wrestlers. Do you have eye bleach ready? :D

Wrong, as usual.

Wrong again, as usual.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/weekly-address

See if you can pick out how many times he claims they are "our athletes".

The USPA is recognized by the FAA, which is a part of the federal government.

Following your logic, the USPA's team selection for the skydiving world championships is therefore officially endorsed by the US government.

:P:P:P

>I am almost choking on the irony of people are bitching that the rich should pay more
>taxes, and then in the same breath they state that the like of Phelps should pay no
>taxes because he is good at swimming in a pool.

Everyone wants "their guys" to pay less taxes. The hardworking athletes! The noble soldiers! The selfless job-creating rich! The disadvantaged poor! There's plenty of irony no matter which side of the aisle you're on.

A post that gets to the core of the matter - everybody thinks they are the special ones. We need everybody to pony up - not more loopholes.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Well lets see. The Skydiving event isn't on TV every night,

That has nothing to do with your argument about officiality.

the skydivers don't make $millions off their endorsements or get their pictures on a box of Wheaties.

They don't have the support of $millions worth of money donated for training.

Skydivers aren't loved by a large majority of the population.

The President doesn't talk about them when he gives speeches etc.

That has nothing to do with your argument about officiality

I can give you more difference if you are having trouble coming up with them on your own.

Do any of them have anything to do with your argument about why Olympians are official and skydivers aren't?

Very few people think of skydivers as representing their country.

And of course, the IRS is well known for giving a flying fuck about what people think.

You've got two major problems with your approach here: First, you've given a reason as to why Olympians are official that applies identically to skydivers, when you actually wanted to show that they are different;

Second, if you support Olympians not paying tax on earnings, that reasoning means that the IRS should act according to the whims of a foreign federation.

My reply addressed your question. Don't like the answer, then try asking a less muddled question.

Unless you're a complete moron you surely understood that the question should be answered in the context of your previous statement.

Since I'm almost sure you're not a complete moron, the only reason why you completely ignored your earlier statement is surely that you knew you were wrong and you were trying to worm your way out of acknowledging it.

Thanks for confirming.

>Let me see if I can explain this in a way you can understand. If I decided to start a
>womens mud wrestling team and compete against other countries, would you
>recognize them as the "official" U.S. Team?

If there were a US organization that promoted mudwrestling recognized by international competitive and record-keeping organizations, and

if that organization were recognized in US law as the de facto national organization representing mudwrestling and

there was a US national competition to select the team to go to the world meet and

that organization, and that organization alone, fielded the winners from that team at the world meet

Then yes, you could claim you were the official US mudwrestling team.

>Let me see if I can explain this in a way you can understand. If I decided to start a

If there were a US organization that promoted mudwrestling recognized by international competitive and record-keeping organizations, and

if that organization were recognized in US law as the de facto national organization representing mudwrestling and

there was a US national competition to select the team to go to the world meet and

that organization, and that organization alone, fielded the winners from that team at the world meet

Wow, that sounds JUST like the US skydiving team at the World Championships.

Yes, it does. I was wrong.

Oh the humanity!

So someone helped you out, saw what you were having trouble grasping and explained it in a way you could understand?

Good for them.

You still recieved the answer your muddle-headed question deserved.

You must be very easily confused.

Right, it's always someone else's fault. :S

Seems that way. Right now it's apparently my fault that you're wrong.

You still recieved the answer your muddle-headed question deserved.

You must be very easily confused.

Right, it's always someone else's fault. :S

Seems that way. Right now it's apparently my fault that you're wrong.

Seems you are wrong about that too. But, please...keep beating that dead horse, he may win yet.