JohnRich

Ban Stun Guns?

Question: Would you be opposed to a very similar level of scrutiny applied to officer involved "tasers" as officer involved shootings? If not, why?

In most agencies any use of force, be it as simple as handcuffing with out arrest (releasing an individual) to something higher as pointing a weapon at someone is reviewed due to being a use of force. Upon review if it violated police or law then it is turned into a full investigation.

You did not really answer the question. I know there are different levels of review dependent upon the situation. My specific question was about the use of tasers being on par with the use of guns.

I have had experiences OC and and stun guns. One experience with each and I have zero desire to repeat those experiences...particularly at someone elses hands. I agree, I would take the taser over the OC anyday.

Also, no one with any sort of professional experience and training calls a taser a "stun gun," those are two different type of devices and they would know the difference.

I never represented that I had professional experience or training with tasers. I know the difference between a taser and a stun gun, after all, I was born before 1990, But for the lay person they are pretty much the same. I'm not the one the used the appeal to authority argument.

Here is a question....open to anyone. Where is the report that shows less people have been shot and killed by law enforcement because of the introduction of tasers? More importantly, since those "people" being killed are just criminals and less important than others, show me the report that shows less injury and or death to law enforcement officers because of the introduction of tasers. I would assume these reports would be easy to obtain because, well, the manufactures would make sure of it.

If you want an eye opening experience, try something for me. Call around to your local agencies and see if any of them offer a citizens police academy. Your understanding of real police work will be much better and then if you want to continue your crusade, then you'll have better information and personal experience to help.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Don't confuse them with facts Dave.......
They've seen the videos on the internet and are armchair experts.
I've explained the use of force continuum here numerous times, sometimes it ain't pretty, but using force seldom is.
I've lived this for over 25yrs, thought I was done but my family situation brought me back.........again.......;)

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Here ya go,
http://www.nij.gov/journals/267/use-of-force.htm

Tasers are an effective tool to reduce both officer and suspect injuries.

Which is besides the point. The problem with tasers are the number of "Don't Tase Me, Bro" incidents and the number of wrongful, unintended deaths caused by their use. The first is cause by abuse of procedure, the second is caused by the inherent flaw in the product.

from your citation:
Directions for Future Research

A critical research question is whether officers can become too reliant on CEDs. During interviews with officers and trainers, the researchers heard comments that hinted at a "lazy cop syndrome." Some officers may turn to a CED too early in an encounter and may rely on a CED rather than on their conflict resolution skills or even on hands-on applications.

Another important CED-related research project would be a study of in-custody deaths involving CED use and a matched sample of in-custody deaths when no CED use occurred. Advocacy groups argue that CEDs can cause or contribute to suspect deaths.[6] The subjects in CED experimental settings have all been healthy people in relatively good physical condition who were not under the influence of alcohol or drugs. However, not all subjects in actual cases of CED use would meet experimental requirements of good health. Law enforcement officials typically argue that most, if not all, of the citizens who died when shocked by a CED would have died if the officers had controlled and arrested them in a more traditional hands-on fashion. Research is needed to understand the differences and similarities in cases where suspects died in police custody, including deaths where a CED may or may not be involved.

A critical research question is whether officers can become too reliant on CEDs. During interviews with officers and trainers, the researchers heard comments that hinted at a "lazy cop syndrome." Some officers may turn to a CED too early in an encounter and may rely on a CED rather than on their conflict resolution skills or even on hands-on applications.***

Couldn't agree more, but that is a supervision and culture problem.
Here is a video of a textbook taser use, hands-on failed so he went to the taser. Without a taser this could have ended much differently (plus it's funny).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Is0GxWNYos

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"