WhuffoNoMo

S&Twhat?

First off, I don't even know who my S&TA is. Secondly, I can arch, I can pull at the correct altitude and I'm over all very aware. I have been trained on how to not splat on the ground. I haven't, however, been trained on anything useful. Right now, if compared to driving, my gut instinct to ANY problem would be to slam on the breaks. Since I've been driving a while, I know this isn't a good idea, but that's how I feel with skydiving. I just read a thread on hook knives and to many it was a shock and congrats that it was pulled off - but for me.. I didn't even know a hook knife was part of the gear. Since my trust in "advisors" and overall knowledge of safety is being reevaluated - where can I go for actual training to make the safest skydives possible. I want to experience a cutaway, to ride a reserve, and overall to be more aware of what CAN happen and what ways are best to deal. In the aforementioned thread, the guy pulled at 3,5 and had time to cut the lines with the hook and ride his reserve. I would have had no clue what to do and would probably be riding an eternal jump run. So IN SHORT: Where do I go to learn what to do and what not to do. I don't care about learning how to swoop - I'd rather learn how to be safe and THEN enjoy the ride. As for now, I have a feeling incident reports are the place to be. Thanks for ANY help!!

Eric

Okay, first, take a deep breath.:)
I know nothing about your instructors or the quality of the student program at your dropzone. So this is not meant to be a statement on the quality of that instruction, just some general thoughts.

Know that your instructors are going to teach you stuff as you need it. Well-designed student programs are going to teach things gradually. You'll cover a lot in your FJC but you should cover a lot more throughout your 25 (or more) jumps to get to your A license.

Do you have a SIM? Have you read it cover-to-cover? If you don't have one, get one, or print one, or start reading it online. It's not perfect (it reads like it was written by a committee:D) but there's a lot of great information in there that has been carefully thought through by folks at USPA.

And then take another deep breath. It's very very easy to get information overload when you're new to this sport, and reading posts here can only contribute to that. Make a list of questions you have. Ask your instructors. No one's going to spoon feed you in this sport; good for you for looking for additional information (but at the same time, your primary source of info right now should be your instructors and the instructional materials at your DZ). Find out who the S&TA (Safety & Training Advisor, FYI) is at your DZ. You can ask around at the DZ or even look on the USPA web site (though I'm not sure how up-to-date the list is on the site, it's a start).

Realize, too, that the best learning often doesn't take place in the pre-jump briefing and the post-jump debrief. It takes place when you're hanging out at the DZ after hours or during weather holds or other times when the instructors and other experienced folks have some down time.

You're not going to learn everything you'll ever need to know about skydiving by the time you get your A license. The A license is a license to continue learning... it doesn't mean you're done. It means your instructors are confident in your ability to go out there and be a skydiver at the very basic level; and at that point it's incumbent on you to continue learning and build advanced skills. Reading the SIM (and rereading it) is a great way to do that. Reading the resources here (check the Safety tab for some great articles) can also help.

And yeah, reading posts here can help. But know that posts here also contain a lot of opinions. And you know what they say about opinions... they're like assholes, everyone's got one.

But that's just my opinion.:ph34r:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks! You've replied to both (my only two) posts and I appreciate both. I guess I did sound a bit overloaded - I'm guess I was more curious to know if they have "safety" courses like they do canopy control, freefall (+disciplines) coaching. I've already learned a LOT from dz.com and the SIM as well as my instructors. Around the dropzone, it's easy to get people to talk about theirs mals - but, given my built in bullshit detector - a lot of it is exaggerated and it's more focused on the excitement and not HOW it happened and what they did to really fix it. If anything they would say "i cut the line" but I would have to ask...cut what line? With what? why couldn't you just wiggle out of it. SO instead of being annoying with questions, I didn't know if there was a resource that wouldn't get annoyed with me! :) THANKS though :)

Any questions you have about malfunctions and how to deal with them should be addressed to your instructors. You probably looked at malfunction photos in your FJC, ask to see those again. I love it when those come out on Safety Day - it's a great reminder of what some of that shit can look like. Also, see if anyone's got a copy of Break-Away for you to watch (it's a video of malfunctions).

Your entire A license program should be a Safety course, but after that, there's not a lot of formal "safety" training; most people just kind of train on their own.

Of course, there's Safety Day (usually in March) at most DZs. Different DZs seem to take a different approach to it; some shut down for all or most of the day and hold safety seminars; others just have a quick briefing at the beginning or the end of the day. Done right, it can be a great annual refresher opportunity.:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A hook knife is usually just for fixing a malfunctioned reserve, and it has to be done with disgression. It's a nice thing to have, but I've never needed one so far and often jump without one.

Most accidents are caused by bad canopy control. Most fatalities are caused by bad canopy control, poorly executed emergency procedures, and just plain old bad judgement. I think you're off to a good start to be a very safe, competent skydiver, seeing that you're willing to learn and don't think you "know it all" already. That's good.

Start with what NWflyer said, read the SIM.

Practice your emergency procedures, both on the ground, in a hanging harness, and even just in your head. Repetition is the key to making them automatic.

Practice flying your canopy accurately. Learn to fly in brakes, make flat turns and flare from half brakes. Learn to land where you want, right on target. Many more people have been killed under fully open parachutes than have ever died due to the lack of a hook knife.

Remember how you feel now when you get a couple of hundred jumps and maybe feel a little too at home in the air. Remember, there's no skydive you can make that can't kill you. :)

Definately start with your home DZ, USPA and instructors for guidance and take these forums with a grain of salt.

These forums have people who are everything from legends in the sport to trolls who claim to have 100s of jumps but haven't done any.

The main thing to remember is that consistancy of training is crucial. If you asked me about reserve procedures, I would have a far different view than your instructors because I'm not even from the same country you're from and our training is slightly different than what goes on in most of the US.

There are many in these forums that aren't even from the same continent and training methods, theories and approaches to student training are varried.

It is good to get other views and different perspectives but until you can decipher what is holy writ and what is bullshit, listen to Jeff, Art and the rest of the gang at your home DZ. There are charged with your training and will provide you with consistancy. That is the most important tool in your training!

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Eric,

I am one of the instructors at Palatka. I don't know you but I am always willing to help anyone and trained people as needed.

Remember that not everyone out there is an instructor and also not qualified to give advise. If you have any questions or concerns, you can always talk to Art (DZO) of Jeff (S&TA). I'm also always willing to help and like you I hate when people exaggerate or talk BS about their "personal skydiving experiences".

If at any point you need my help and I am the DZ you are welcome to ask me whatever you want to know. (I do not get annoyed with questions).

Like someone already mention it, the SIM is a great source of information.

Hopefully this helps and again if you have any concerns about your safety or someone else's you can always come and talk to me.

Be safe,

Juan

Haha. Thanks. Actually - you do know me and I'm sure you are very helpful. The first time I met you was when you critiqued my landing/flaring (it's ok to put in little inputs for turning during flaring - don't completely let up and let the wind take you..)

I appreciate all the help I can get though - thanks!