davjohns

$340 gun permit upheld in NY

And note that it's $340 for 3 years, so your cost to own a gun is > 110/yr (and figure it will rise).

well, the fee he's referring to is his carry permit. Not an ownership permit. That doesn't exist in TX. The carry permit is good for at least 4 years. In some cases almost 6 (a renewed license expires on your next birthday after 5 years, so if your timing is right, you could almost get 6 years out of the fee). So John's cost to carry his gun is $110. His ownership cost to the state is zero.

Kelp was referring to the NY permit with his cost analysis, not TX.

Get a shotgun instead - the NYC shotgun permit is way cheaper and the shotgun is a better home defense weapon anyway.

????

If true (first I've heard of it)

Perhaps you should check the NYPD web site and not rely on newspaper articles.:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Get a shotgun instead... the shotgun is a better home defense weapon anyway.

Are you advocating keeping a loaded shotgun in the home for self defense,
instead of keeping it locked up in a safe where it's not immediately accessible?

I'm advocating that a shotgun is a better home defense weapon than a handgun. Storing either of them safely is a different issue. Putting a loaded handgun under a mattress doesn't seem like such a good idea.

So how would you safely store your shotgun to prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to it, while at the same time making it immediately available to you for home defense?

instead of keeping it locked up in a safe where it's not immediately accessible?

I'm advocating that a shotgun is a better home defense weapon than a handgun. Storing either of them safely is a different issue. Putting a loaded handgun under a mattress doesn't seem like such a good idea.

So how would you safely store your shotgun to prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to it, while at the same time making it immediately available to you for home defense?

Over your shoulder? Gun rack in the truck?

When I was younger, every truck in the SouthEast had a gun rack in the back window. It was normal. High School students had them in the back window of their truck in the school parking lot because they went deer hunting before school. It was never a problem. Makes you wonder what changed about the guns that things are so different today...
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Over your shoulder? Gun rack in the truck?

When I was younger, every truck in the SouthEast had a gun rack in the back window. It was normal. High School students had them in the back window of their truck in the school parking lot because they went deer hunting before school. It was never a problem. Makes you wonder what changed about the guns that things are so different today...

I think that what changed is the smarts of the people who own the guns. We even have LEOs shooting themselves in the leg.

I think that what changed is the smarts of the people who own the guns. We even have LEOs shooting themselves in the leg.

Please don't go around suggesting people should be responsible for their own actions. It's so un-progressive of you. It is surely the guns that are wrong. That's why they should be banned.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Please don't go around suggesting people should be responsible for their own actions. It's so un-progressive of you. It is surely the guns that are wrong. That's why they should be banned.

Has anyone here (besides YOU) suggested banning guns?

I'm spending a day as a liberal to see what it feels like. Ban guns that are a helpful tool. Promote legalized drugs that have no positive use at all. Kill unborn babies, but don't kill mass murderers. Abuse your health and claim you have a right to health care at someone else's expense.

I think I need a bath already.

Abuse your health and claim you have a right to health care at someone else's expense.

That IS the current situation. Have no insurance, go to the ER for treatment, and the cost gets passed on to those who do have insurance. That's the status quo the conservatives now support. (just a few years ago they supported a mandate, but that went the way of an etch-a-sketch picture.)

Which conservatives support it??? I'll poke them right in the eye!

Damn. They'll probably go to the ER on my dime....this is messed up.

Which conservatives support it??? I'll poke them right in the eye!

Damn. They'll probably go to the ER on my dime....this is messed up.

Yes, it IS messed up. And that IS the status quo that the GOP now supports.

I didn't know the GOP platform supported that. I really wish voting Libertarian wasn't throwing away a vote. More parties would be so nice.

I didn't know the GOP platform supported that. I really wish voting Libertarian wasn't throwing away a vote. More parties would be so nice.

Does that mean you support the "Can't pay? Then go away and die" system?

Not at all. I'm perfectly willing to help out a fellow human being in cases of life, limb or eyesight. Maybe some more that I would have to give more thought to. But my experience has been that too many people use the ER as a healthcare system so they don't have to pay for anything. It clogs up the ER and costs the rest of us.

And, yes. I have spent many hours in ERs and know quite well what goes on there. When I was a cop, we posted someone in the ER constantly.

Get a shotgun instead - the NYC shotgun permit is way cheaper and the shotgun is a better home defense weapon anyway.

Then why the cost difference? If they both take the same type of paperwork and check the same things.... Why the separate costs?

Then why the cost difference? If they both take the same type of paperwork and check the same things.... Why the separate costs?

have you ever heard Bloomberg on the subject of guns? it's pretty clear what his twisted agenda is

the question isn't 'why' - it's clear why. the point is why is it continued to be allowed by good people

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

How should I know? I don't work for NYPD.

I think the cost is exorbitant. (Didn't expect that, did you?)

Not at all. I'm perfectly willing to help out a fellow human being in cases of life, limb or eyesight. Maybe some more that I would have to give more thought to. But my experience has been that too many people use the ER as a healthcare system so they don't have to pay for anything. It clogs up the ER and costs the rest of us.

And THAT is the system as it is right now, and the GOP likes it that way. GOP is supporting freeloaders.

You knew about the price difference, yet you don't work for them.

No, I think it is impossible to know where you actually stand since you never spell it out. I have come to believe that you do not give a firm and complete answer so that you can maintain flexibility in your arguments.

and yet your answer was not - challenge this unconstitutional fee, but use a shotgun instead.

Reminds me of your answer to dealing with the TSA. "Buy a plane."

You knew about the price difference, yet you don't work for them.

The price is listed on the NYPD web site. The rationale is not.
:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

and yet your answer was not - challenge this unconstitutional fee, but use a shotgun instead.

Reminds me of your answer to dealing with the TSA. "Buy a plane."

It isn't unconstitutional - a federal judge ruled that is is constitutional. Until his ruling is overturned by a higher court, it is constitutional.