headoverheels

Obama gets unexpected endorsement

I'm quite enjoying the circular firing squad aspect of the Republican primary season. I'm not sure many will remember it come November, given the millisecond attention span of the average voter, not to mention the level of of sophistication of their political analysis skills (what's in it for me right now?). Still, it's good fun while it lasts.

Don

I'm quite enjoying the circular firing squad aspect of the Republican primary season. Don

For better or worse it is a sign of a fracturing of the republican consensus. Used to be that Democrats were the masters of disorganization, disunity, and dysfunction.

Republicans also pushed party rules that pushed up contests that have delegates proportioned by congressional district and pushed back those with winner-take-all contests. Whether good or bad it has tended to blunt momentum and the sense-of-inevitability. I'd argue that is bad for the party, as it has led to more in-fighting and less time to unite behind a candidate.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I'm quite enjoying the circular firing squad aspect of the Republican primary season. I'm not sure many will remember it come November, given the millisecond attention span of the average voter, not to mention the level of of sophistication of their political analysis skills (what's in it for me right now?). Still, it's good fun while it lasts.

Don

Yeah, no one will remember except the DNC, much like the RNC and the Democrats primary last election.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Yeah, no one will remember except the DNC, much like the RNC and the Democrats primary last election.

I don't think a soon to be defeated Hillary, ever said to vote for McCain.

Santorum is showing himself to be the class act that the Dem's always knew he was.

I'm quite enjoying the circular firing squad aspect of the Republican primary season. Don

For better or worse it is a sign of a fracturing of the republican consensus. Used to be that Democrats were the masters of disorganization, disunity, and dysfunction.

Republicans also pushed party rules that pushed up contests that have delegates proportioned by congressional district and pushed back those with winner-take-all contests. Whether good or bad it has tended to blunt momentum and the sense-of-inevitability. I'd argue that is bad for the party, as it has led to more in-fighting and less time to unite behind a candidate.

I think it's better for its voters to get away from winner take all rules. When you have 3 major candidates and two of them nearly identical (Santorum+Newt), it would be wrong to give all delegates to Romney for getting 35 or 40% of the vote.

At the same time, the GOP continues to be more cohesive in Congress, even if their ability to select a potential President has been MIA since the fall of the Bush dynasty.

It's really irrelevant anyways. The 2012 election will be decided by a few key swing states (like Florida, Ohio, PA) and Obama will have the financial resources and Hollywood connections to out-campaign and out-image his competition.

Which is actually not a bad thing if the Repubs get both Congress and Senate control. Then you have GRIDLOCK and GRIDLOCK is GOOD! Nothing gets done and the rules stop changing for at least a few years.

Not so fast. Barry won the last cycle because all he had to worry about was the hopety-changey thing. Dem college grads ate it up. And he couldn't have had a more ripe time than the end of W's term. This time he's got a tail. He's got some explaining to do. One thing's for sure...the fun's just gettin' started.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

If it comes down to Romney and Obama, there may be some ads from the Obama camp touting this endorsement.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/santorum-suggests-electing-obama-better-romney-presidency-211531760.html

IMO, he is correct.

Does not take away from the fact he is also not very smart.

The best bet for the Republicans would be to get behind Romney, offer him up for sacrifice in what amounts to a throwaway year for them, and start searching for a candidate for the next cycle that doesn't have his/her head up their ass.

I really do not think any candidate that works so hard to suck up to the far right has any chance to win the Presidency now or for the foreseeable future. That party is such a fucking mess right now.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

There is not much difference between Romney and Obama. And that is what Santorum is saying.

Romney is at least AS liberal if not more liberal than Obama. The only difference is Romney is talking the conservative talk right now. His history shows he is liberal.

I think Romney would be a worse President than Obama in many ways. With Obama you know he is a liberal and will push liberal causes. With Romney you have a guy that says one thing and will do another.

The ONLY upside to Romney is he is more qualified from a financial aspect. But that is where the upside stops.

Personally, if it is Romney vs Obama...... I am not even sure I'll vote in that race.

A guy that signed an assault weapons ban... does not represent me.
A guy that signed a HC system into law... does not represent me.
A guy that is a multi millionaire... does not represent me.

I find it AMAZING that an conservative actually has bought into Romney claiming to be a conservative... His history shows otherwise.

And Romney is not going to be able to run a very good campaign.

On the HC law.... In a debate with Obama:

R: When I become President, I will stop this HC law

O: I find your aversion to this law to be strange, it was modeled after the one YOU signed into law.

Point to Obama.

On the 2nd:

R: I support the 2nd Amendment.

O: You are on record saying it is outdated and you signed an AWB into law.

Point to Obama.

On taxes:

R: The top 1% pay 40% of the taxes, the bottom 50 % pay no federal taxes and this cant stand.

O: Well, you are the top 1%, so I can see how you don't want to pay more taxes.....

Point to Obama.

Romney will be toast.

I think it's better for its voters to get away from winner take all rules. When you have 3 major candidates and two of them nearly identical (Santorum+Newt), it would be wrong to give all delegates to Romney for getting 35 or 40% of the vote.

At the same time, the GOP continues to be more cohesive in Congress, even if their ability to select a potential President has been MIA since the fall of the Bush dynasty.

I understand what you are saying in theory. On the other hand, I sort of think a primary process that more closely mirrors the general election, where almost all the states are winner take all, would be a better test of ability to win a general election.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"