muff528

Oh, Great! Now Someone Can Jack the ISS .....

The headline...

NASA Laptop Stolen With Command Codes That Control Space Station

...and then from the article...

“The March 2011 theft of an unencrypted NASA notebook computer resulted in the loss of algorithms used to command and control the International Space Station,” Martin said in his written testimony.

Every time you read a news article that covers anything more technical than drooling, just remember what it feels like to read an article about a skydiving fatality. There's not a lot of good news in Paul Martin's testimony, but algorithms != "command codes."

I don't really get why any government computers, or any business computers, are left unencrypted any more?

Every single PC and laptop should be encrypted, no exceptions.

That is the way my accounting firm is, you can steal all the laptops in the whole company. They aren't going to be worth much in terms of data!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I don't really get why any government computers, or any business computers, are left unencrypted any more?

Every single PC and laptop should be encrypted, no exceptions.

That is the way my accounting firm is, you can steal all the laptops in the whole company. They aren't going to be worth much in terms of data!

Tim McGee could crack it. He da man.

Having the laptop stolen sucks, but there is a bit of a difference between having the ISS codes and having the ability to actually SEND the codes. Kinda like you having the combination to the gate outside Fort Knox expecting that will allow you to walk in and cart off the gold..... :-)