ryoder

Congress Actually Ends Taxpayer Funding of Ethanal Subsidies

Awesome, makes sense. Subsidized corn ethanol only ever made sense as a political subsidy to Iowa farmers.

Just Iowa?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Awesome, makes sense. Subsidized corn ethanol only ever made sense as a political subsidy to Iowa farmers.

Just Iowa?

Of course not, it was an economically irresponsible bit of corporate welfare to large corn farms throughout the country, but it is a bit disingenuous not to note the importance of the Iowa Caucus in the establishment and long maintenance of that subsidy.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Just Iowa?

Of course not, it was an economically irresponsible bit of corporate welfare to large corn farms throughout the country, but it is a bit disingenuous not to note the importance of the Iowa Caucus in the establishment and long maintenance of that subsidy.

What I get I you think the National Corn Association is mainly the Iowa Cauci
Abraham Lincoln

Just Iowa?

Well, that surely incorrect. I guess it would take a nuanced and involved discussion to note two interrelated conclusions:

1. That the ethanol subsidies surely were a giveaway to large corn farmers everywhere and enjoyed large support from legislators for the farm belt of both parties. (this is generally true of most government sudsidies, the only bad ones for politicians are the ones that don't benefit their own constituents).

2. That the placement of the Iowa Caucus first on the calendar of presidential nominating contests increased the power of the ethanol lobby, as lawmakers who were running for president were told that going against the farm subsidy would harm their chances of winning in Iowa and thus of winning the nomination.

If you want to dispute either of those opinions you are free to do so. From what I can see nuanced and involved discussion aren't really part of your repertoire. I'll just leave my part of the discussion by stating that regardless of what caused the ethanol subsidy to be established and so long maintained, I am glad that it is gone (although I suspect it may shortly reappear).
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

This is fantastic news:)
Lot of bad things happening because these subsidies. Hardly any game bird habitat left in the midwest from fence to fence farmng, water shortages, inflated corn prices putting meat producers out of business, major erosion problems and siltation of our rivers because any remaining land was farmed to meet an unrealistic demand. A little too late for a few companies. I work for a poultry company that had record losses this last year because of corn prices. Pilgrims Pride already filed bankruptcy, and many of the smaller local producers have closed up shop.

Just Iowa?

Maybe, but it never would have happened had the wacko enviros not been pushing their bs

Nope, did you know that in some year Illinois produces more corn than Iowa?

Well, that surely incorrect. I guess it would take a nuanced and involved discussion to note two interrelated conclusions:

1. That the ethanol subsidies surely were a giveaway to large corn farmers everywhere and enjoyed large support from legislators for the farm belt of both parties. (this is generally true of most government sudsidies, the only bad ones for politicians are the ones that don't benefit their own constituents). Agian, driven by a messed up green movement. Had that crap not been the the line of day (aka renewable s) it never would have happened

2. That the placement of the Iowa Caucus first on the calendar of presidential nominating contests increased the power of the ethanol lobby, as lawmakers who were running for president were told that going against the farm subsidy would harm their chances of winning in Iowa and thus of winning the nomination. Irrelevant

If you want to dispute either of those opinions you are free to do so. From what I can see nuanced and involved discussion aren't really part of your repertoire. I'll just leave my part of the discussion by stating that regardless of what caused the ethanol subsidy to be established and so long maintained, I am glad that it is gone (although I suspect it may shortly reappear).

What caused the ethanol bs was the green movement and good marketing by the National Corn Association.

Two follow up points

I agree that it is a good thing it is going away. It is one of the reasons land out here has sold for 20k and acre in some cases.

Did you know that the NCA get's so many cents per bushel of corn sold (I do not remember the number) regardless if the producer wants to contribute or not?
Abraham Lincoln

This is fantastic news:)
Lot of bad things happening because these subsidies. Hardly any game bird habitat left in the midwest from fence to fence farmng, water shortages, inflated corn prices putting meat producers out of business, major erosion problems and siltation of our rivers because any remaining land was farmed to meet an unrealistic demand. A little too late for a few companies. I work for a poultry company that had record losses this last year because of corn prices. Pilgrims Pride already filed bankruptcy, and many of the smaller local producers have closed up shop.

I agree that it is a good thing it may be going away

But know this, the greenie movement was a major factor in it being put into place to begin with
Abraham Lincoln

But know this, the greenie movement was a major factor in it being put into place to begin with

agricultural subsidies go back a lot longer than this. And the "greenies" aren't nearly as gung ho on ethanol as you think they are.

Agreed and agreed (even though I never said the greeinies are gung ho at all today)

but what I said is still correct
Abraham Lincoln