rushmc

Wall Street or the Government Caused the Housing Colapse?

>FORCED big banks to bet against their own investors

I'm singling that out to help you and others understand that shorting a security in a principal transaction is not illegal or unethical no matter the rating. This confuses alot of people who dont understand securities trading. No has been charged nor will ever be charged with a crime for this.

There are multiple divisions in a bank. Research and Trading are seperate. If research believes a security is a Buy, they rate it and market it as so. Trading doesnt care about ratings. they provide liquitidy only. not advice.

Customers want to buy something call the trading desk. Traders do not "market" the security. they "sell" it, in other words transact it. it can be as principle, their own position either long or short. Or they can act as an agent and just buy it somewhere else and mark it up.

All day long all over the word this is occuring and will never stop occuring. the reason is the customer is asking for liquidity only. he has already decided to purchase the security. he does not care if the trader makes or loses money on the transaction. They do lose money, fyi. thats why they are paid based on their Profit and Loss.

So no one, except for people who don't understand the financial markets care that GS shorted against a Buy rating. Its a normal business practice and how securities trade. Its happening right now in every security on every exchange and OTC market in the entire world.

i could also explain the difference between the market making desk and the proprietary desk if i have not completely confused everyone and anyone cares. similiar rules but different jobs.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

I'm singling that out to help you and others understand that shorting a security in a principal transaction is not illegal or unethical no matter the rating..

No confusion.

If it were illegal there would be a lot of bankers in prison.

Unethical is a matter of opinion.

I'm inclined to agree with arch conservative Charles Krauthammer, who wrote: " I would be for an exemplary hanging or two. Have it in Times Square, invite Madame Defarge. You borrow a guillotine from the French and we could have a party."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm singling that out to help you and others understand that shorting a security in a principal transaction is not illegal or unethical no matter the rating..

No confusion.

If it were illegal there would be a lot of bankers in prison.

Unethical is a matter of opinion.

I'm inclined to agree with arch conservative Charles Krauthammer, who wrote: " I would be for an exemplary hanging or two. Have it in Times Square, invite Madame Defarge. You borrow a guillotine from the French and we could have a party."

I don't know the context of this quote and don't care. I would agree that criminals should be prosecuted. all honest people do.
John Frusciante

>Unethical is a matter of opinion.

in the financial industry it is not a matter of opinion. You can have an ethical violation and lose your job and license. Finra is a private organization as is the CTFC and NYSE etc.. You must adhere to their standards or cannot work in the industry. That is why i mentioned it.

im not trying to be pedantic or argumentative. I menioned ethics for a reason and want you to undertand my point.
John Frusciante

But not holding my breath because I know you can't answer any of them honestly.

It's already been explained, several times...your inability to grasp the concept is not my problem, perfesser.

(fyi - YOU mentioning honest answers given YOUR history is absolutely HILARIOUS)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Banks and bankers were FORCED to make loans that were shaky at best
Why?

Because the gov was forcing them to !!!

Banks cannot survive by giving money away which was what they were essentially being FORCED to do.

They were then forced, if they wanted to stay in business, come up with mechanisms that would eliminate or reduce the debt and risk they were being FORCED to assume

The other nuances in this can be debated and argued at infinitum, but none of those change the facts above.

This mess is your beloved govs fault

The gov had some help but that does not change what I stated above.

Now we all look forward to your redirecting of the blame, away from the gov, so it, big gov, can continue to protect Big Education and it’s escalating costs
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

It's already been explained, several times...your inability to grasp the concept is not my problem, perfesser.

So you can't answer any of them honestly. Understood.

This is not hard, not a secret. Franklin Raines forced banks to give sucker home loans out. You can say the evil banks did it, but when the Feds order you to do it, you must comply or they will harass you, badly !!! very badly !! >:(

Please tell us which acts of government:
FORCED financial institutions to invent NINJA loans
FORCED financial institutions to leverage at > 30:1
FORCED financial institutions to invent CDSs
FORCED big banks to bet against their own investors
FORCED big banks to defraud their investors
FORCED ratings firms to give AAA ratings to junk in exchange for big fees from the banks
FORCED financial institutions to pay huge bonuses from taxpayer bailout money to the very execs that drove them into bankruptcy.

Where were all the NINJA loans BEFORE CRA?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Your 'argument' doesn't get any less lame the more times you bring it up, perfesser.

Maybe you can explain to us how there HAD to be a law to force those things to happen rather than market forces.

I'm not the one claiming the government is responsible. You and rushmc are.

"the CRA was not a significant factor in subprime lending or the crisis. Many subprime lenders were not subject to the CRA. Research indicates only 6% of high-cost loans—a proxy for subprime loans—had any connection to the law. Loans made by CRA-regulated lenders in the neighborhoods in which they were required to lend were half as likely to default as similar loans made in the same neighborhoods by independent mortgage originators not subject to the law."; Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission, January 2011

Your 'argument' doesn't get any less lame the more times you bring it up, perfesser.

Maybe you can explain to us how there HAD to be a law to force those things to happen rather than market forces.

I'm not the one claiming the government is responsible. You and rushmc are.

"the CRA was not a significant factor in subprime lending or the crisis. Many subprime lenders were not subject to the CRA. Research indicates only 6% of high-cost loans—a proxy for subprime loans—had any connection to the law. Loans made by CRA-regulated lenders in the neighborhoods in which they were required to lend were half as likely to default as similar loans made in the same neighborhoods by independent mortgage originators not subject to the law."; Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission, January 2011

Lame.

CRA forced the change of underwriting rules.... where were the NINJA loans before then, perfesser?

For that matter, maybe you can show us how the banks caused all the foreclosures.... oh, wait... the foreclosures started BEFORE the banks started collapsing.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So you can't honestly address a single one of those questions - all we get from you is distraction and diversion.

The Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission is a rather more credible source than you are.

So you can't honestly address a single one of those questions - all we get from you is distraction and diversion.

The Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission is a rather more credible source than you are.

And the FCIC auditor report I've snipped info out of is FAR more credible than you. Make sure to let us know when the commission explains how the banks caused those foreclosures, perfesser.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Make sure you let us know how the government caused foreclosures on mortgages that weren't subject to government regulation.

And once again since no doubt you'll try to throw more dust in the air, non regulated subprime loans failed at a far greater rate than regulated CRA loans.
"Loans made by CRA-regulated lenders in the neighborhoods in which they were required to lend were half as likely to default as similar loans made in the same neighborhoods by independent mortgage originators not subject to the law."

>>Banks and bankers were FORCED to make loans that were shaky at best Why?
>Because the gov was forcing them to !!! This mess is your beloved govs fault

So the shaky loans made from 2000 to 2008 - the loans that resulted in the MBS collapse - were the government's fault?

Why, I do believe that's the first "blame Bush" post I have seen you make!

So the shaky loans made from 2000 to 2008 - the loans that resulted in the MBS collapse - were the government's fault?

And how did Bush influence policies in place by 2000 when he didn't become President until 2001, pray tell?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You dont
But your Twister 101 teaching has gotten the better of you again

But you know that

How honest of you
Abraham Lincoln

And how did Bush influence policies in place by 2000 when he didn't become President until 2001, pray tell?

Started before then

Carter gets the thanks for that

Clinton doubled down on it

Caught up with us

Bush tried to rein it it

A bunch of Dems said there was no problem

Guess they were wrong
Abraham Lincoln

Lamer and lamer....where's the NINJA loans before CRA, perfesser?

Same place they were before the Declaration of Independence. Wanna blame that?

You could try blaming the Moon landings too, they came before NINJA loans too.

So, you've got no argument? That was apparent to the rest of us, too.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Just highlighting the increasing stupidity of your position, which shows that you haven't got anything to show that govt. action forced the financial services industry to wreck the economy leading to tens of millions of people losing their life savings and jobs:P

Your arguments (Post hoc ergo propter hoc ) are as bankrupt as Lehman Bros.

Just highlighting the increasing stupidity of your position,

Unlike yours, of course, which blames the bank collapse for the bankruptcies that caused the banks to collapse. Great circular logic you've got going on there, perfesser.

which shows that you haven't got anything to show that govt. action forced the financial services industry to wreck the economy leading to tens of millions of people losing their life savings and jobs:P

Just because you refuse to accept anything other than "it's all those greedy bank's fault" doesn't make the information that I've already given untrue.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706