sacex250

Oh God! Libya and Sharia Law?

Does anyone posting in this thread have a problem with beth din?

I'm not an American, but I think all the citizens of the Netherlands should be subject to one (the Dutch) law. So yes, I would object to any other type of court. People who disagree should solve the problem by stopping being Dutch and removing themselves from Dutch society. It's as simple as that in my opinion.

I don't know if beth din is a real court or an advisory institute of sorts, btw. If it's the latter it's a whole other ballgame of course. Of course informal "advisory institutions" considering Islamic law already exist in NL. They don't officially exist and they've no official power, but it isn't unlikely that people are forced into subjecting to Shariah rules anyway. If that's discovered the associated institution should be closed down and when found guilty of practices that aren't law-full, razed to the ground.

EDIT: Added a bit of rant:

I think it's a non-issue really. If I move to the US, should I expect that I'll still be judged by Dutch laws if I break the US laws? I.e. should it be legal for me to open a shop to sell cannabis from? (and I don't mean medical cannabis) Of course not. Why should the situation be different if I make up a religion around it?

I think it's about time we stop granting religious people special rights and a special treatment.

There is a difference between religious law being enforced by Secular Courts, and Binding arbitration.

The latter is used in situations wherein the parties agree to take it to a religious court to decide the dispute, having first agreed to be bound by the decisions therefrom.

Not a real problem, until you get to things like Muslim Women being coerced into accepting the jurisdiction of Sharia "courts," when they have a history of treating women like cattle...