CanuckInUSA

Media Propaganda related to Gun Control

Looks like Canada's state funded CBC is back spewing pure propaganda regarding Gun Control. They are the only major news source who is running a story about this today and it is nothing but pure propaganda to rally their loyal Leftist "Guns are scary, all guns should be banned" following.

Here's their story:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/09/12/quebec-dawson-anniversary-gun-laws.html

The propaganda is as follows:

1) The Beretta Storm CX4 (firearm used in the Dawson College shootings) is NOT a military assault rifle. Just because it's black, just because it looks scary to the uniformed public does not make it a military assault rifle. The Beretta Storm CX4 has a semi-automatic action and fires 9MM rounds. Lethal yes, military assault rifle no. Military assault rifles fire larger rounds with their automatic actions.

2) The student behind this story says that he will not stop his Gun Control efforts until Canada bans all military assault rifles. But guess what? Military assault riffles are already prohibited in Canada. Why is the CBC calling for military assault rifles to be banned when they already are banned?

3) The article speaks of Quebec passing a "Anastasia's Law" which says Quebec requires people who want to own restricted firearms to take special classes and have police background checks. This is complete and utter bullshit propaganda coming from the CBC. Anyone and everyone who wants to legally own a firearm in Canada regardless of what province they live in must take mandatory classes, must pass written and oral exams with marks of 80% or better and then they must under go mandatory police background checks before they are allowed to own firearms.

Yet another example of the media spewing pure propaganda in order to influence the ignorant masses. I really wish people would educate themselves on the actual firearms laws and educate themselves on the various firearms types before they allow themselves to be influenced by media propaganda.

Stupid Lemmings. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Excellent comments, spot on. The gun-o-phobes love to take advantage of an ignorant public to mobilize them to do some anti-gun thing, that is emotional, illogical and irrational. That's how they play. The papers don't bother to research the truth themselves any more, and this looks like they published a story that was straight from an anti-gun organization press release, no questions asked.

Do you Canadians have an organization like the NRA to spread the truth?

That gun looks to me like the ones used in the original "Planet of the Apes" movie. I think they should pass a low forbidding apes from owning those things, or the next thing you know the apes will be rounding up humans for slaves.

Do you Canadians have an organization like the NRA to spread the truth?

Not that I am aware of. Canadians can join the NRA, but the NRA does not have any jurisdiction here.

However I suspect this story is surfacing now because parliament will be sitting soon and the newly elected Conservative government have a majority in the House as well as the Senate. So the existing Long Gun Registry is as good as toast this fall session. The government will likely keep all other firearms laws as is and I do not have a problem with the mandatory classes as well as the mandatory background checks. The only other aspect of our laws I do find offensive that I think should be changed in Bill C-68 (brought in by a Liberal government back in 1995) allows the police to enter the homes of registered firearms owners anytime that they want without a search warrant. Getting rid of the Long Gun Registry should mean people possessing non-restricted firearms should not need to worry about the police knocking on their doors in the middle of the night. But those who own restricted firearms will still need to register their firearms and are still subject to police warrantless searches. :S

Well the story behind this thread is not about the NRA.

Yeah, but let it simmer on the stove long enough and that's what it's going to boil down to. JR has already tried to stir that pot.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Excellent comments, spot on. The gun-o-phobes love to take advantage of an ignorant public ...

Good evidence of ignorance would be repeatedly using a stupid expression despite having been told that the correct word is "hoplophobe".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You do realize that word was made up by a gun rights activist, just like gun-grabber, antigunner, and yes, even gunophobe. While I have great respect for the late Colonel and prefer to use hoplophobe, it is hardly the only correct choice.

(how many years is it since I introduced you to that word?)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yeah, it was CBC..this time. Let's not get tunnel vision when it comes to which broadcaster is spewing the most BS. I watch a lot of news and the other media outlets in Canada and the ones in the US are every bit as bad. It doesn't matter whether it's about guns or motorcycles or parachutes or whatever. The medias job is to sell advertising and most of the talking heads couldn't get a real job anyway. Therefore they must spew.
Anything that is painted green and has tracks is a tank, all skydiving accidents are due to the "parachute failing to open" all bikers are hooligans and for absolute sure all black semi-autos are "assault rifles and their owners are anarchist wack jobs. It will never change as long as we have a free press. The guys who tell it/print it like it really is can't sell enough advertising to get big enough to be heard by all the narrow minded uninformed delusional lemmings that believe the mainstream crap..

Other than that, it's a great day.
DOOG
Muff 846
All you people are here to make sure I have a good time.

I am impressed. That was a very good article with honest journalism.

Two thumbs up for Matt Gurney and the National Post. :)

Good evidence of ignorance would be repeatedly using a stupid expression despite having been told that the correct word is "hoplophobe".

Well then you, and folks like you, should quit using "assault weapon".... Since it is a term that is not correct either.

Well then you, and folks like you, should quit using "assault weapon".... Since it is a term that is not correct either.

Except it absolutely is the correct definition if you're talking about the legal definition in the US. Regardless of what the NRA says, the AWB defined it differently than a previous military definition, but once it's written into law, there's no way to talk about that law in general without using the legal definition, at least for the most part when we're talking about these issues as they pertain to the US.

Canada may have a different legal definition.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver