The Japanese are a people who value honor

There is still hope
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Would not happen in the US.
At least not in the Big Cities.

You don't know that...there is a big difference in the conscientious conflict in keeping cash found just blowing about in the wind and finding cash in a wallet that identifies the owner...an owner who might have died...an owner that may have had a family...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

there is a big difference in the conscientious conflict in keeping cash found just blowing about in the wind and finding cash in a wallet that identifies the owner

Compare the mayhem in Japan to the mayhem in England. A tsunami hits the west coast of the US and it's every man for himself. The looters in England? They didn't just find that property and cash flyign around. They hunted.

There are hunters. Predators. I think it's a safe bet that there are legions that are waiting for the "Big One" to hit SoCal and then they'll turn loose.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

There are hunters. Predators. I think it's a safe bet that there are legions that are waiting for the "Big One" to hit SoCal and then they'll turn loose.

That may be true, but this thread is about whether or not average Americans would return cash they spontaneously found to a known victim of some type of calamity.

I hope thugs in L.A do not represent the mentality of most people in this country.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

That may be true, but this thread is about whether or not average Americans would return cash they spontaneously found to a known victim of some type of calamity.

I hope thugs in L.A do not represent the mentality of most people in this country.

You and I agree on this thread. I read lots of stories about Americans being charitable and honorable in times of crisis, etc. There are thugs everywhere; and there are plenty of criminals in Japan, too.

BTW, I wonder how the Chinese (especially the older ones) or the veterans of the Bataan Death march feel about the Japanese tradition of honor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_of_nanking