Coreece

Our God is an an awesome God, He Reigns...

That brought back memories of a church I used to attend in the latter 80's, the Calvary Temple International Christian Center. The church band was largely made up of recovering alcoholics/addicts who were also studio musicians. Sunday night praise and worship rocked and rocked hard. They used to flash the lights, like in a bar, to tell you to give it up and go home.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Yeah, that's a pretty awesome god. Makes innocent children suffer, brings plagues and famine, fire, hurricanes, tornades, floods, etc. to destroy lives by the millions.
Yep, pretty fucking awesome. :S

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Yeah, that's a pretty awesome god. Makes innocent children suffer, brings plagues and famine, fire, hurricanes, tornades, floods, etc. to destroy lives by the millions.

God explains why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFEvyH2nS0

What about Job, the oldest book in the Bible?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

What about Job, the oldest book in the Bible?

Wait, what?
How do you figure?

Did you read it?

Absolutely. Again, how does anyone lay absolute claim to the chronology of when any of the books of the old testament were written?

Certainly not just by reading it?

Scholars claim Genesis as being written about 500 or 600 BCE but Job at about 400.

Again, how the hell do you figure Job is the "oldest" book?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"Our God is an an awesome God" does make it sound like there are a bunch of Gods of which this particular one is one of the best.

Hey, even the first commandment says that. Both Exodus 20:2–3 and Deuteronomy 5:6–7.
quade -

Or maybe God doesn't share your viewpoint that His job is to maximize pleasure and minimize pain. Maybe there are other values that are more relevant than the utopian existence.

how does anyone lay absolute claim to the chronology

Sorry, I misunderstood your post

but you can't...

btw, scholars say alot...there are various arguments and historical evidences that suggest Job is the most ancient book. Feel free to research it for yourself. I don't really care to discuss it nor was it my intention in this thread...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Or maybe God doesn't share your viewpoint that His job is to maximize pleasure and minimize pain. Maybe there are other values that are more relevant than the utopian existence.

It only stands to reason that my viewpoint is not shared by someone or something that does not exist.
HAMMER:

It only stands to reason that my viewpoint is not shared by someone or something that does not exist.

If that is the case then why attribute random acts of violence to someone or something you can't understand? And why get upset with those who can see God for what He is?

If that is the case then why attribute random acts of violence to someone or something you can't understand? And why get upset with those who can see God for what He is?

I don't attribute them to any god...you do.
See "God" for what he really is? I do. I see your "god" as an irrational figment of your ancestors' imagination passed down from generation to generation.
HAMMER:

I don't attribute them to any god...you do.
See "God" for what he really is? I do. I see your "god" as an irrational figment of your ancestors' imagination passed down from generation to generation.

One of the neat things about God's creation is that if an attribute ceases to serve a purpose it dies out. I believe Darwin first pointed that out. If God was not an integral part of our species psyche He would have never come up. His enduring presence through out our history speaks of His validity.

One of the neat things about God's creation is that if an attribute ceases to serve a purpose it dies out. I believe Darwin first pointed that out. If God was not an integral part of our species psyche He would have never come up. His enduring presence through out our history speaks of His validity.

Excuse me, but could you maybe explain what purpose cancer and AIDs serve? I mean, if they didn't serve a purpose, according to YOUR theory they would have died out by now and it's only due to their critical importance in the world that they therefore exist.

Right?

No. Don't be silly.
quade -

Excuse me, but could you maybe explain what purpose cancer and AIDs serve?

Death...

Oh please . . . that answer would make sense if those were the only ways somebody could die, but the fact is it's all too easy to die, in fact, nobody doesn't, and nothing would ever need to be created specifically for that purpose.

Everybody you've ever known and will know and everybody you've never met or has existed dies . . . every single one.

It's like when idiots talk about "the miracle of birth." It's just as stupid. No "miracle" happens billions of times just because two people bumped uglies.
quade -

the fact is it's all too easy to die, in fact, nobody doesn't, and nothing would ever need to be created specifically for that purpose.

The fact is, that people are created for that purpose...

You seem a little boisterous tonight...How many Dos Equis have you had tonight?

btw, when are you gonna let back into the Bon Fire, smart ass?

Excuse me, but could you maybe explain what purpose cancer and AIDs serve? I mean, if they didn't serve a purpose, according to YOUR theory they would have died out by now and it's only due to their critical importance in the world that they therefore exist.

Right?

Your excused, death and AIDS is one of the culling mechanisms that ensures survival of the fittest. Once the soul leaves the body it is in God's hands.

btw, when are you gonna let back into the Bon Fire, smart ass?

Sir, I believe you may have forgotten what got you into trouble last time. You might want to revisit your PM you sent me the last time you got banned.

You might want to step away from the computer for the rest of the night, because I tend to get less lenient the longer this type of behavior goes on.
quade -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BigHGSqg68E

so you dont want to hear about my good song?
and you dont want to hear about how i am getting on
with all the things that i can get done
the sun is in the sky & i am by my lonesome
so you don't want to hear about my good day?
you have better things to do than to hear me say

god its been a lovely day! everything is going my way
i took out the trash today and i'm on fire...

so you don't want to hear about my good friends?
you dont have the guts to take the truth or consequence
success is in the eye of the beholder
and its looking even better over your cold shoulder

i'm not suggesting you up and line me up for questioning
but jesus think about the bridges you are burning
and i'm betting
that even though you knew it from the start
you'd rather be a bitch than be an ordinary broken heart

so go ahead and talk about your bad day...
i want all the details of the pain and misery
that you are inflicting on the others
i consider them my sisters and i'd like their numbers

god its been a lovely day! everything is going my way
i took up croquet today and i'm on fire

i picked up the pieces of my broken ego
i have finally made my peace as far as you and me go
but i'd love to have you up to see the place
& i'd like to do more than survive i'd like to rub it in your face.....

hey! its been a lovely day! everything is going my way
i had so much fun today and i'm on fire
god it's been a lovely day everything's been going my way
ever since you went away hey i'm on fire.....
i'm on fire...
i'm on fire...
so you dont want to hear about my good day?